Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Wisconsin & Illinois Racing
New indoor offroad facility, dirt or clay and why? >

New indoor offroad facility, dirt or clay and why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New indoor offroad facility, dirt or clay and why?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 04:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812
Pearl, other than for the dirt itself, this section is too general for the specific questions and advice you're looking for. The Wisconsin forum would get you info from people in your area.
Good advise and well taken but I want opinions from the people who race all over and it seems some of the most sensible answers are coming from all over map. Now there are two threads over here and people all over don't read the "bumble fluff middle of nowhere" WI thread, but most do read and comment on the electric off road thread. So your the mod but now there are 2 related threads in a not so often visited area. Just guessing here, but I bet the input goes down hill quickly and I was getting some great input over there.
Kris

Last edited by Blackpearl#1; 11-01-2013 at 05:12 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Great post davidka! Thanks!

Blackpearl and I have been doing a lot of leg work for the owner of the BMX track who has committed to making his BMX arena into a top notch RC facility too... but, he doesn't know what surface to start with. The good news for him/us is that he already has a successful venue in central WI with an outdoor BMX track... again OUTdoor WI! He's ony got 5 months to make that work... and he's been doing so for a number of years... so the indoor arena should be no concern for success... and the property he bought is .4miles from our local Mall... (a pretty prime high traffic spot.)

Our local outdoor track is black dirt. Very dusty when it's dry... And we are spoiled with tire wear. I have literally had hundreds of packs worth of use on a single pair of AKA enduro tires on my 2wd SCT... hundreds. But we do go through bearings.

Knowing that Trackside is tripple sifted topsoil is good info. I have about 2 hours of runtime there, and another local RCer has raced there a lot (because he's originally from that area.)

I really like racing on the dirt because it is more realistic, but I understand how the consistency and cleanliness of clay can be huge benefits.

Thanks for starting this thread Kris, Andy will be glad to hear your findings. (And maybe should get a text with a link to that other linked thread......)
Old 11-02-2013, 06:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Good morning Ben I did talk to Andy yesterday and gave him all the info from both of the threads so good advice and already done. My intent was for just general knowledge but got that from the other thread that X Rated gave us so we will see what the guys here have to say.
Kris
Old 11-03-2013, 12:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

CARPET!!!!!! Clean clean clean.....
Old 11-04-2013, 03:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I've done track changes with clay for a couple of years. Its definitely a chore to move that stuff and pack it in the right way, but once you do, its a better product in the sense that your surface stays together. It won't pit or crack like dirt does if it dries out. When your clay gets dry, run an aerator over it and give it some water and it gets better. Not saying dirt is bad, just a little different. I've done outside dirt layouts as well. Sure you can achieve traction on dirt, but there's a little more "in-race" maintenance to do like sweeping or blowing off the surface. Clay takes waaay longer to get dusty. My $.02.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:14 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Well, It officially has a name and a facebook page!

Toad's Cove RC Thunder
Lot's of new info trickling in, I will try to help BlackPearl keep things updated here as well as the other various forums. (but the Facebook page looks to be the best spot to be getting info from the owner at this point.)

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...ocation=stream
Old 11-11-2013, 07:59 PM
Tech Initiate

Dirt was a lot more fun but everybody switched to clay