OutbackRC Raceway 2011

Old 01-11-2011, 07:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Thanks for explaining, All I care is there are places to race this spring. Im looking forward to learning from the better guys. I know my equip is not top notch and my skills are not at the top of the game YET, but I enjoy the crap out of the hobby and the fellowship that comes along with it. I am adding another notch to my toolbox this weekend and running at Atlanta RC supercross while im in the ATL for a VB tourny..
Old 01-16-2011, 06:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I updated post #1 with this:

Tri-City Series
Two of the 10 race days are TriCity Series days. The TriCity Series has adopted tire rules for SCT. The Stock SCT class on TriCity days MUST race AKA soft Enduros. They have a special deal on those great tires you can check out. As such, it might not be a bad idea to consider an Enduro tire for your stock (nothing wrong with them in Mod either) SCT if you have no other strong preference.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:53 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mjk1210
A few years back ROAR had defined stock and mod with cost in mind. They had dollar restrictions on the companies with regard to what they could sell a motor for. Stock motors had to be sold for x amount of dollars (way less than mod motors). That would let people get into the hobby cheaper. When brushless came out, the companies set the price before ROAR could get a grasp on the idea. Then ROAR could only judge them on the motor turns. And now it still costs a stock level racer the same as a mod level racer when they buy a motor. Kind of lame. So the tracks tried to limit the tires to RTR tires to save the stock guys some money. That's what started it all.
The cost restrictions were there to control entry costs but also to prevent out of control development, leading to VERY expensive products, the same reason there is a cost limit on ROAR approved motors today.

On the upside, Stock and Modified are less expensive from the aspect of motor needs then they have ever been. You can buy one $79 motor and virtually never need to buy another one (provided you don't over cook it). I run Modified 2wd with an original Novak 4300 and 5800SS motors (8.5 upgraded to sintered rotor) and don't get out-motored by anyone.

FWIW, cost reduced motors would be very easy to achieve. Speedpassion already has a steel-can sportsman motor that's much less expensive.

I agree with tire limitations for stock in SCT from the cost standpoint. If super soft tires become the hot setup for indoor racing it could get really expensive, really fast. SCT tires are far more expensive than those for other platforms.

Any way you look at it, with the motors and lipo batteries we have now, electric off road is cost-healthier than it's ever been.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Save money racing r/c cars???
We all know it snowballs into a much larger expense because new stuff comes out and then you have to upgrade. Look at how many people bought a Slash and now race Mod SCT, 4wd SCT, and even buggies! One big snowball!!!!!!
Old 01-21-2011, 05:22 PM
Tech Elite

The RaceEm group started a neat thread on an enduro race. Sounds really great. If we have some extra time on some race days, it would be good to try out an Enduro. I'm thinking of a race style called the Four Leg Enduro Event (FLEE).

Initial rules ideas
May run some classes together if very light turnout, but score them separately. Can run SCTs, buggies, etc. Even a single buggy just for the pleasure of driving if you want.

1) Leg 1, Run vehicles for 13 minutes,
2) Break for 17 minutes,
3) Leg 2, Run track opposite direction (need smart layout) for 13 minutes,
4) Break for 17 minutes,
5) Leg 3, Run track normal direction for 13 minutes,
6) Break for 17 minutes,
7) Leg 4, Run track opposite direction for 13 minutes,
8) Break (optional leg 4 for alternate heat) -- 13 minutes.
End -- 2 hours total.

Could run second heat of enduro during break times if enough vehicles.
Marshalling might be light, maybe volunteer only.
You can have teammates or not, but you run with a team name (can just be your name if you are a team of 1).
You can leave the stand and repair or have teammate repair during any leg.

Scoring -- add the laps and times from your 4 legs.
Could count all 4 or take best 3 of 4 of your legs.

Comments?
Old 01-21-2011, 06:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

already stealing our ideas Bob?
Old 01-21-2011, 06:43 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Benny 13
already stealing our ideas Bob?
Nah. Totally different.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:50 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BobWoodhouse
The RaceEm group started a neat thread on an enduro race. Sounds really great. If we have some extra time on some race days, it would be good to try out an Enduro. I'm thinking of a race style called the Four Leg Enduro Event (FLEE).

Initial rules ideas
May run some classes together if very light turnout, but score them separately. Can run SCTs, buggies, etc. Even a single buggy just for the pleasure of driving if you want.

1) Leg 1, Run vehicles for 13 minutes,
2) Break for 17 minutes,
3) Leg 2, Run track opposite direction (need smart layout) for 13 minutes,
4) Break for 17 minutes,
5) Leg 3, Run track normal direction for 13 minutes,
6) Break for 17 minutes,
7) Leg 4, Run track opposite direction for 13 minutes,
8) Break (optional leg 4 for alternate heat) -- 13 minutes.
End -- 2 hours total.

Could run second heat of enduro during break times if enough vehicles.
Marshalling might be light, maybe volunteer only.
You can have teammates or not, but you run with a team name (can just be your name if you are a team of 1).
You can leave the stand and repair or have teammate repair during any leg.

Scoring -- add the laps and times from your 4 legs.
Could count all 4 or take best 3 of 4 of your legs.

Comments?
You know Bob... I don't mean to inject any inapropriate behaiver... But that almost looks like it could be a "Drinking and Driving" race. all those 17 minute breaks in an Enduro race sounds like something I might have done when I was in college... I'm not sayin' but I'm just sayin' ( by the way this is a joke)

I like the idea of somthing like a 6 hour race with a team of 4 same truck, battery changes on the fly when you need it. All 4 drivers must drive. if the Truck breaks you fixit and put it back down. Most laps win. I mean lets get real if we're gonna do an endro event then lets do one. I wanna see guys loosing feeling in their hands, eyes going blurry, haveing to eat on the fly, getting your drinks thru a straw while your driving. I think this would be cool.

If I were in College I'd like Bobs idea with all the drinking.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:14 AM
Tech Elite

Such as winner of each leg must drink more? Just kidding. How many 4-man teams do you think could appear?
Old 01-22-2011, 12:19 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by BobWoodhouse
Such as winner of each leg must drink more? Just kidding. How many 4-man teams do you think could appear?
I'm thinking a shot for each time you crash in the leg of the race.

I dunno how many would show up. I think it would be a lot of fun. I could probably put together a couple of teams. you would probably have to do a complete tear down and rebuild before and after the race.

Did you see that Tamiya 24 hour race in Europe? a part of the actual race is building the car from a kit.

How cool would that be???
Old 01-30-2011, 05:11 AM
Tech Elite

Public Temp Gun?

Would it be useful to get a temp gun and tie it to a chain behind the drivers stand for everyone to use? If so, what model would be good for dirty outdoor multi-person use?
Old 01-30-2011, 06:41 AM
Tech Addict

hey where were you yesterday?
Old 01-30-2011, 06:58 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by dglomp1
hey where were you yesterday?
At a basketball game and a restaurant. I plan to get over the the HT track on the upcoming Saturday -- maybe remembering to bring more than my Slash tires if the dirt is not wet.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:46 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

The official tire of Outback Raceway?

http://www.shortcourse.eu/2011/02/fa...lseye-sc-tire/
Old 02-01-2011, 04:57 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Davidka
The official tire of Outback Raceway?

http://www.shortcourse.eu/2011/02/fa...lseye-sc-tire/
Ooh, ooh, ooh.....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.