Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Wisconsin & Illinois Racing
Marshall RC Park - JUNE 26, 2010 - Thorp, Wi - BE THERE!!! >

Marshall RC Park - JUNE 26, 2010 - Thorp, Wi - BE THERE!!!

Marshall RC Park - JUNE 26, 2010 - Thorp, Wi - BE THERE!!!

Old 06-25-2010, 08:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 235 (100%+)
Default race

it is still a go . racing is on so far!!!!!!!!
Old 06-25-2010, 09:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm at the track now and it has gotten some light steady rain. The heavy rain was to the south. Track looks like it should be great.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:28 PM
Tech Regular

Awesome, see you guys tomorrow then!
Old 06-26-2010, 03:12 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Well if the weather man is right we should be able to get the whole days worth of activities in!! See you at the track!
Old 06-26-2010, 05:25 AM
Tech Initiate

Talking race 26th

THE RACE IS ON SO IS THE RC SWAP MEET AND ALSO THE FUN FLY! HAPPY RCING
Old 06-26-2010, 05:27 AM
Tech Initiate

Talking race 26th

THE RACE IS ON SO IS THE RC SWAP MEET AND ALSO THE FUN FLY! HAPPY RCING
Old 06-27-2010, 05:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Went to this race last night, and it was a complete disaster. All sorts of computer/lap timing issues and 3 guys all trying to run the show, none of them agreeing on what to do next and when to do it!

About 40-50 entries, and absolutely no organization.

I would suggest to all the nice people there that I met in the club, to seriously evaluate the image that is being shown. I heard several of the club members concerned about the way the races were run and they sounded quite worried.

To summarize, when asking about my elec. 8th scale car, they elected to run me with the nitro (which im fine with) but when they said we would be running a 20 min A main, I told them I couldn't make run time. The answer from the Head of the Club was "There is no way that you could go fast enough tp make the A anyways, because I can't go fast enough"

At least give people the benefit of the doubt
Old 06-27-2010, 08:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 235 (100%+)
Default track

Originally Posted by FLHX1550
Went to this race last night, and it was a complete disaster. All sorts of computer/lap timing issues and 3 guys all trying to run the show, none of them agreeing on what to do next and when to do it!

I would suggest to all the nice people there that I met in the club, to seriously evaluate the image that is being shown. I heard several of the club members concerned about the way the races were run and they sounded quite worried.

To summarize, when asking about my elec. 8th scale car, they elected to run me with the nitro (which im fine with) but when they said we would be running a 20 min A main, I told them I couldn't make run time. The answer from the Head of the Club was "There is no way that you could go fast enough tp make the A anyways, because I can't go fast enough"

There was a few problems.But this was the first cash race and night race for the year. And i Apologize for who ever told you ,that you wouldnt be fast enough to make the amain
Old 06-27-2010, 04:09 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by FLHX1550

You are absolutely correct. We brought in some extra help for the night hoping to make things run smooth and it turned into "Too many chiefs, not enough indians!" The lap counter we are not sure what happened, it was a different software then we normally use because our computer blew up when we turned it on earlier in the day and had to borrow a system from a different club. We should have our system fixed by the next race and hopefully be back to the trouble free way it has been every other race this season so far.

You are right again with this. We knew that going into this being our first cash race, that there were things we didn't know and that if everything didn't run smooth from start to finish it would leave a bad taste in everyones mouth. We are very concerned about the image we allowed to be portrayed of us and are going to have to work very hard to mend it...

This just bugs me very much.. I can't believe that anyone from our club would make such a comment. I just don't know what to say other than that I am sorry that someone would make such a rude comment.....
Old 06-27-2010, 04:24 PM
Tech Regular

Ok everyone. I need some feed back from the people who attended the race last night. Good or bad I want to hear it. Tell what it is going to take to make something like a cash race happen. I am looking for anything you can tell me besides the obvious stuff with the lap counter and the constant changing of the main running order.

Any and all comments are appreciated. You can post here or om them to me, your choice.
Old 06-27-2010, 04:34 PM
Tech Regular

Aside from the obvious thing with the computer problems, I would say the following:

The track was good, no complaints there.
The facility as a whole is top notch, food and drinks are right by the track, great drivers stand, ect...
Before decisions were made, the drivers' opinions were always considered, I know I was personally asked how long the SCT main should be

I know it was the first race with the current lighting setup, but it was a little tough to see the back corner of the crossover and the back tabletop
Like you said in the previous post, it seemed like there were too many chiefs and not enough indians
Take less time in between races, nobody should need 5 minutes to get their engine warmed up
Also, for starting heats, everyone is on their own clock, the cars shouldnt be released from the pits all at once, it should be a start when you want sort of thing. As long as everyone starts before the first car to start comes around and gets counted for their first lap they will get their whole race, and it helps to spread out the field, making traffic less of an issue.

Those are my thoughts on the race, overall I had a good time, and thought most of the people from the club were very friendly.

-Zac
Old 06-27-2010, 06:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Honestly, I wouldn't get too envolved with the whole "money race" thing. Been racing 20 years, and only have been in 2 maybe 3, and it just adds a certain level of discomfort in my opinion.

People will come for a fast, fun track and a smoothe running program. I am not faulting the computer, that stuff happens, but you got to have a game plan if it goes down. I have raced for a LONG time, long before transponders and computers were used.

The track just needs some upkeep (allot of rain washed out areas) and that crossover jump is a little radical. make it longer and lower to keep the speed up.

Im sorry that I have come off like a hard ass, but after getting talked to like that (especially at the drivers meeting, in front of everyone there) it really set my mood for the night.

If you want to charge $20 for a entry fee (I ended up paying $40) and they aren't a club member, they should be treated like exactly what they are, A CUSTOMER. It's the only way to get someone to come back.

And as far as the Chiefs/Indians go, you are exactly right. Get someone who runs the computer, and only runs the computer, and knows how to run the computer.

I ran 4 minutes of my 2nd buggy heat without any lap times, even though I had ran 3 or 4 laps of warm up and 4 minutes of racing. At the 4 minute mark he finally said the running order and I was in dead last. Stopped, looked at the PC, and I hadn't scored ONE lap. For a $20 entry fee, I should at least be asked if I'm on the driver's stand or not and if my car is checked in or not.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Z_Schneider
Aside from the obvious thing with the computer problems, I would say the following:

The track was good, no complaints there.
The facility as a whole is top notch, food and drinks are right by the track, great drivers stand, ect...
Before decisions were made, the drivers' opinions were always considered, I know I was personally asked how long the SCT main should be

I know it was the first race with the current lighting setup, but it was a little tough to see the back corner of the crossover and the back tabletop
Like you said in the previous post, it seemed like there were too many chiefs and not enough indians
Take less time in between races, nobody should need 5 minutes to get their engine warmed up
Also, for starting heats, everyone is on their own clock, the cars shouldnt be released from the pits all at once, it should be a start when you want sort of thing. As long as everyone starts before the first car to start comes around and gets counted for their first lap they will get their whole race, and it helps to spread out the field, making traffic less of an issue.

Those are my thoughts on the race, overall I had a good time, and thought most of the people from the club were very friendly.

-Zac
+1 to everything Zac said. The only thing I would have liked to have seen was the crossover lip fixed. The drop gate is genius by the way .

You guys had scoring problems, it happens. Nothing is going to be perfect everytime. But I will suggest one thing. I'm not sure if the mic was working last night, but we had people filling up cars when the gate dropped. With NO warning.

Its just a toy car race, and overall I had fun......

Brad
Old 06-27-2010, 08:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

I didn't make the money race weekend because I knew what was going to happen. and from reading all of the post for the weekend it did. I use to run there ever since the track has openned and it has come a long, long, and I mean a long ways. but it will only get better each year. FLHX1550 i was usually the one who ran the races last year, and got a lot of good comments about it. by the way the races where ran and the speed of the day. but I haven't heard from the club this year about helping out. so I think that might answer the question about the person running the computer.

but i hope from the problelms that they had doesn't drive anyone one away from the track because it is an very nice place to race at and there are not many of them left.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:19 AM
Tech Regular

I have to agree with Zac's suggestions. I also have some concerns with the 1/8th scale E classes. My friend and I showed up with 3 electric 1/8th scales that would have supported a possible class. Perhaps an announcement could be made at the drivers meeting to see if there are enough entries to support a class. Usually they run 5 minute qual's and a ten minute main.

As far as the track goes it was nice! My only suggestion is the crossover lip that Brad suggested. The other issue is a corner worker spot on the south side of the cross-over jump (at the straight away sweeper). As it is now the corner worker has to run and duck under cars to reach any car that needs attention at the end of the sweeper. This could be deadly!

As far as cash races go they do draw entries but any hostilities that become a problem should not be tolerated. Most issues should be brought to the race directors attention before they escalate.

Over the last two years there has been some major issues that I hope you can work out. The owners of this beautiful facility have done a top notch job of creating a facility that we can hopefully continue to enjoy. The track is getting alot of attention that will either hurt or promote the possibility of hosting some HUGE events.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.