Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Wisconsin & Illinois Racing
SYC R/C & Maple Acres R/C Race way >

SYC R/C & Maple Acres R/C Race way

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SYC R/C & Maple Acres R/C Race way

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 08:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default SYC R/C & Maple Acres R/C Race way New track Near Dekalb IL

Hey everyone in the Chicago land area and beyond, I am building a new off road track in Maple Park IL. I have an I-Lap scoring system and plenty of house transponders and I will be using R/C Scoring Pro. I am also shopping for a cheep new or used P.A system for announcing races.

The track will be packed top soil with 9' lanes and a 10' straight. There is also a practice track for tunning between rounds frequency's pending.

The drivers stand will be 14' long & 3' tall x 3' wide. I have a portable toilet that will be kept clean. It is about a mile outside of town which has 3 bars that serve food and a Casey's General store.

I am planing on electric only at this time. There could be a possibility of nitro in the future but I need to speak with the neighbor. There is plenty of room for pitting out of your vehicle or your ezup. Take caution it gets windy at times.

I don't want to compete with Outback R/C Raceway and also would like to attend other races.

The track area is cleared and I am waiting for some dry weather to let the ground harden to have some dirt delivered. The sooner I get that the faster I can get it set up.

http://sycrcmaraceway.com

Schedule
Practice will start AM-PM

April Th open free practice & test day
Opening Day May ST No charge this day (Schedule subject to change for any day)
May Th
May Th
June Th
June 19th Open for racing
July 17th
July 31st
Aug 7th
Aug 21st closed Elburn Days Hobby Town Race
Aug 28th
Sept 4th
Sept 18th

Maple Park IL 60151

Any advice, opinions and donations are welcome.

Last edited by twelvegauge; 01-04-2011 at 07:25 AM.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Cool!

Pick a date so everyone knows to come at the same time. Maybe folks can suggest a date here.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:38 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BobWoodhouse
Cool!

Pick a date so everyone knows to come at the same time. Maybe folks can suggest a date here.
I have a little help from one friend and I should have alot of time to work on it. Like I said the sooner it takes shape the sooner I can come up with a date.

I found a toilet to purches, one less hurdle to clear.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Very cool, Steve. Good luck. I'll try to get a few people out there when some dates are confirmed.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:30 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mjk1210
Very cool, Steve. Good luck. I'll try to get a few people out there when some dates are confirmed.
Thanks Mike I will be looking forward to it.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:52 PM
Tech Elite

I hope to be ready befor the end of april.
I set up a site but it does not seem to be working and they published it with out me choosing the name.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:03 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Well it seems that most other tracks race on sundays.So maybe as not to conflict, maybe running somthing on saturdays could be an option.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:14 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Astro
Well it seems that most other tracks race on sundays.So maybe as not to conflict, maybe running somthing on saturdays could be an option.
That is kinda what I was thinking, or both Sat & Sunday on some of the other tracks off days.

http://sycrcmaraceway.yolasite.com

Last edited by twelvegauge; 03-18-2010 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:36 AM
Tech Elite

I will be measuring the track area today for my layout. I plan on building a fairly complicated track, it should not be boring.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:02 AM
Tech Elite

I noticed Sunday is mostly good for avoiding all the tracks that run Saturdays. Electric at LH is Saturday. Cheese City is Saturday. St. Charles HobbyTown Saturday. The only place I know running Sundays was Crystal Lake HobbyTown.

Running both sounds good. But what do you think -- will it make people unsure which day they should show up, or would they come both days? I would personally only want to show up on the busiest day if I could guess which one that is. Now if you had like "Oval Sundays" and "Off Road Saturdays," then maybe that would be something.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:30 AM
Tech Elite

I noticed Sunday is mostly good for avoiding all the tracks that run Saturdays. Electric at LH is Saturday. Cheese City is Saturday. St. Charles HobbyTown Saturday. The only place I know running Sundays was Crystal Lake HobbyTown.

Running both sounds good. But what do you think -- will it make people unsure which day they should show up, or would they come both days? I would personally only want to show up on the busiest day if I could guess which one that is. Now if you had like "Oval Sundays" and "Off Road Saturdays," then maybe that would be something.
I have been gathering schedules and most of the days are full of raceing at other tracks. I think Saturday would be good and leave out the important race days like Elburn Days, 2010th and the Asphult Assult race days.
I think most of the people who race at HT offroad are nitro for the most part any way accept for the SC crowd. They have points and a end of year awards party too.

The ovel thing may not be a bad idea. I already have half an ovel on the practice track.

Check out my free first self made website tell me what you think.

Old 03-19-2010, 05:00 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by twelvegauge
I have been gathering schedules and most of the days are full of raceing at other tracks. I think Saturday would be good and leave out the important race days like Elburn Days, 2010th and the Asphult Assult race days.
I think most of the people who race at HT offroad are nitro for the most part any way accept for the SC crowd. They have points and a end of year awards party too.

The ovel thing may not be a bad idea. I already have half an ovel on the practice track.

Check out my free first self made website tell me what you think.

The site is good. Just need a schedule

I thought about an oval for a while. I just have never done oval, so I don't have the passion to lead an oval race program.

You are in a tougher decision-making spot than I was. When I started Outback, we had nothing going on, or else I would have gone racing somewhere else. But since then a few other tracks have sprung up. In a way, my advice is to ignore them (including mine). I know it is always said that having too many tracks just dilutes the racers and leads to some places closing down. But if you try to fit in with everyone else, well, do they try to fit in with you? I think if you have a vision and passion for your track, you have to select the best racing times and take them as your own.

For my track, it is not really a business-grade track, and I don't want it to look like one, so I am only going to hold around 12 races a year or so just to give the neighborhood a break. So, if you were taking that route, we could always work out some kind of alternating weekend schedule in the future, also.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:22 AM
Tech Elite

The site is good. Just need a schedule

I thought about an oval for a while. I just have never done oval, so I don't have the passion to lead an oval race program.

You are in a tougher decision-making spot than I was. When I started Outback, we had nothing going on, or else I would have gone racing somewhere else. But since then a few other tracks have sprung up. In a way, my advice is to ignore them (including mine). I know it is always said that having too many tracks just dilutes the racers and leads to some places closing down. But if you try to fit in with everyone else, well, do they try to fit in with you? I think if you have a vision and passion for your track, you have to select the best racing times and take them as your own.

For my track, it is not really a business-grade track, and I don't want it to look like one, so I am only going to hold around 12 races a year or so just to give the neighborhood a break. So, if you were taking that route, we could always work out some kind of alternating weekend schedule in the future, also.
Makeing the track a buisness thing was not my intention. I just figured I would combine the two to get more exposure for my fans and eventually more things for R/C cars and trucks.

Later down the road it would be cool if I could get something going indoor around here.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:58 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by twelvegauge
Makeing the track a buisness thing was not my intention. I just figured I would combine the two to get more exposure for my fans and eventually more things for R/C cars and trucks.

Later down the road it would be cool if I could get something going indoor around here.
Indoors would be handy. I thought about it too, but the level of commitment seems to go up a lot due to building costs and heating costs, plus snow removal from the parking lot and all.

I was lucky to find Cheese City, and people close the LH or Trackside are lucky, but we really have little else out where you and I are. I heard Crystal Lake HobbyTown might do something indoors. Again, that is where I decided a couple years ago to stop paying too much attention to other tracks or potential tracks because I would wait for them to open and they would not, or they would open and then close.

You know, the Dirt Dawgs also race only some weekends. It would be cool to have a few tracks rotating the race days, such as theirs, your, mine, etc.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:09 AM
Tech Elite

You know, the Dirt Dawgs also race only some weekends. It would be cool to have a few tracks rotating the race days, such as theirs, your, mine, etc.
They posted something about 1/10 scale electric racing on their thread, but when I went out there I got an attitude from most of the people there.
One guy even told me I might want to get a nitro vehicle if I want to race there. The club president or what ever he was didn't even talk to me.

Some of the guys that raced at HT in St.Charles that were associated with Dirt dawgs were not like that. Like Cory he is a very nice person to talk to but I think he sold his nitro buggys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.