Peoria New On-Road Club?

Old 11-10-2009, 12:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 87 (100%+)
Default Peoria New On-Road Club?

I have a few questions and I am looking for some input from fellow racers and people who are in the Central Illinois area around Peoria.

I moved to the area 2 years ago and have been into RC for 20 years on and off. My real passion is on-road electric and can’t get myself into off-road. I have experience in Virginia working at a Hobby-town and running parking lot races. I also spent a few years over in England racing on road while in the service and learned alot from them on running a club and also did a national touring series over there (BTCC) along with some 1/12 nationals. I came back to the states and moved to Peoria. I raced a few nitro on-road races last year but the travel got too much.

There is a definite lack of (or should I say non existent) on-road tracks in the area. Has there ever been an on-road program in the Peoria area in the past? I know this would be a real tough road to go down, but with the help of a few people or the interest of a few, I am looking at maybe trying to start a racing program.

I know the current top of the line touring cars are very expensive and it is not cheap to get into it. I would love to get 15 guys running 13.5 but in reality, it is not going to happen. There are some good options with RTR’s, the new Trans Am class and F-1 classes.

I am not looking at running a carpet track, but I think if I bring it back to basics, where touring cars started, find a nice 100 X 50 ft piece of a parking lot some where, grab some pvc pipe, fire hoses, get access to a lap counter, and get something going in the spring. If you build it, they will come..lol

The Vintage Trans Am class would be a great way to get new people in the hobby, and there might be a few of you that have an old touring car lying around that would enjoy something like this. We could even run some oval. I think the most important part would be to keep it simple, and don't get it so there are 10 classes with 2 or 3 people running in them, again, use the KISS method. It would be great to have a fun atmosphere, help people get into the hobby and promote the hobby etc.

I am willing to spend a-little to get this going and spend some time organizing the program. I have some ideas and I think I can make this work. If you guys have any inputs, ideas, or would like to help that would be wonderful, please let me know. You can pm me or e-mail me at [email protected].

Here is a link to the VTA class rules.
http://www.usvintagetransam.com/

Thanks,
Justin
Old 11-10-2009, 06:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jland
I have a few questions and I am looking for some input from fellow racers and people who are in the Central Illinois area around Peoria.

I moved to the area 2 years ago and have been into RC for 20 years on and off. My real passion is on-road electric and can’t get myself into off-road. I have experience in Virginia working at a Hobby-town and running parking lot races. I also spent a few years over in England racing on road while in the service and learned alot from them on running a club and also did a national touring series over there (BTCC) along with some 1/12 nationals. I came back to the states and moved to Peoria. I raced a few nitro on-road races last year but the travel got too much.

There is a definite lack of (or should I say non existent) on-road tracks in the area. Has there ever been an on-road program in the Peoria area in the past? I know this would be a real tough road to go down, but with the help of a few people or the interest of a few, I am looking at maybe trying to start a racing program.

I know the current top of the line touring cars are very expensive and it is not cheap to get into it. I would love to get 15 guys running 13.5 but in reality, it is not going to happen. There are some good options with RTR’s, the new Trans Am class and F-1 classes.

I am not looking at running a carpet track, but I think if I bring it back to basics, where touring cars started, find a nice 100 X 50 ft piece of a parking lot some where, grab some pvc pipe, fire hoses, get access to a lap counter, and get something going in the spring. If you build it, they will come..lol

The Vintage Trans Am class would be a great way to get new people in the hobby, and there might be a few of you that have an old touring car lying around that would enjoy something like this. We could even run some oval. I think the most important part would be to keep it simple, and don't get it so there are 10 classes with 2 or 3 people running in them, again, use the KISS method. It would be great to have a fun atmosphere, help people get into the hobby and promote the hobby etc.

I am willing to spend a-little to get this going and spend some time organizing the program. I have some ideas and I think I can make this work. If you guys have any inputs, ideas, or would like to help that would be wonderful, please let me know. You can pm me or e-mail me at [email protected].

Here is a link to the VTA class rules.
http://www.usvintagetransam.com/

Thanks,
Justin
Justin, I moved to this part of the country about 5 years ago and will tell you the on-road scene is pretty limited around here. Coming from one of the best carpet tracks in the country (S&N's Trackside Hobbies) to down here was a culture shock to me. By and large this area seems to be pretty much "All Nitro/All The Time" where 1/8-scales are pretty much the main racing class. There was a track in Bloomington when I first got down here but they closed down in early-to-mid 2006 I think it was. There is a track outside of Danville that runs from mid-November to the end of March/Early April but they're more of a foam track than rubber tire.

There was also a track in Mahomet until the spring of this year called the RC Shack. They've moved the shop to Decatur but there's no track associated with it right now. They've talked about getting an on-road parking lot deal going but so far nothing has happened.

Finally there was another track just outside of Springfield. It was actually a really good size, good competition and good layouts. However they pulled the carpet up and are now just running Mini-Late Models and Sliders on the asphalt/concrete that was below.

I wish I could understand why there's such a lack of on-road interest around here. It's frustrating for me. I know a few guys go up to Underground RC in Chicago, The Track north of Great America or even up to Trackside. I bought a new sedan about 2 months ago and have yet to even start building it. I look at it now and it just makes me more and more frustrated. My wife asked me last weekend if I wanted to go racing this upcoming weekend. I'd love to if I had someplace to race, and driving 90-miles to Danville just isn't worthwhile to me.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Gary,

I know how that frustration goes. I don't know how many time I have been on-line shopping and have put a touring car in my cart only to back out knowing it will just sit and collect dust. I think I have bought (2) 1/8 buggie set ups, put them together, went and practiced and just could not do the dirt, not for me. I try talking myself into it, but it never works.

I went down and checked Danville out 2 weeks ago, really long drive and not that great of a turnout. I did go up to the Quad Cities a few times last year. Great track and crowd, but they don't race every weekend and not at all in the summer, plus the drive. I will probably run with them this year and pick up a VTA. I can't justify that T3..lol.

I would think there is more of us out there looking for a fun atmosphere, good racing and hanging out, and not have to drive 2 hours to do it. But I could be wrong.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm in Bloomington and I do make the 90 mile (180 round trip) drive to Danville. It's worth it in my opinion and Danville is much closer to you in Champaign then it is for me. In the summer it's dirt all over Central Illinois, that's when I switch to Rock Crawling.

When I came down here I thought that there was a place in town but it was gone. Actually there isn't a decent RC car LHS unless you like RTR gear.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Welcome to the black hole of on road racing in the Midwest. I too have been to Danville, and Chicago, and Trackside, and now Indy. Indy now has a new carpet track on the SE side that is really nice. Even that is a 2hr drive for me though. There is also parking lot racing in the summer in Indy but still a drive for me.

I gave up on hoping for local tracks and just decided to either put in the miles or not race. I also run nitro on road in the summer in the Midwest Series so I'm used to traveling. Peoria would also be a drive for me but I'd be willing to come over and check it out if you got something going. I'm sure some of the Quad Cities guys would come down also.

I've run at all the tracks Gary listed, I wish they were all still here too. I especially miss Bloomington as that was much closer for me than anywhere I go now. Keep us posted on your progress if you decide to go forward with starting a club in Peoria.

Rick
Old 11-11-2009, 07:31 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JonnySocko
I've run at all the tracks Gary listed, I wish they were all still here too. I especially miss Bloomington as that was much closer for me than anywhere I go now. Keep us posted on your progress if you decide to go forward with starting a club in Peoria.

Rick
Did I ever tell you I ran into Kevin the Christmas after they shut His N Hers down? He was the manager at the Toys R Us in Champaign. He recognized me, it wasn't until after I left the store that I remembered who he was as I only ever went there once and that was for practice.

JLand another option is to run indoor off road too. RJD in Lincoln has a good crowd on Fridays. The biggest class is the Short Course truck class which is the off road equivalent to Trans Am I feel. I agree it's still not the same as on road but it's something.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

well here is the thing your going to have to travel a little bit because all the on road tracks in Illinois are close to the lake. i know of 8 on road tracks in the area. they all take me mostly half an hour to get there but the farthest is hour and a half away.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by JonnySocko
Welcome to the black hole of on road racing in the Midwest. I too have been to Danville, and Chicago, and Trackside, and now Indy. Indy now has a new carpet track on the SE side that is really nice. Even that is a 2hr drive for me though. There is also parking lot racing in the summer in Indy but still a drive for me.

I gave up on hoping for local tracks and just decided to either put in the miles or not race. I also run nitro on road in the summer in the Midwest Series so I'm used to traveling. Peoria would also be a drive for me but I'd be willing to come over and check it out if you got something going. I'm sure some of the Quad Cities guys would come down also.

Rick

I will let you know Rick. I am pretty sure I raced with you up at a club race at Lesiure hours once last year and at the Midwest race in Toledo. I was at Toledo with Chris.

Justin
Old 11-11-2009, 01:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Justin, I was pretty much in the same boat as you. I moved out of Chicagoland to a small town about an hour east of the quad cities. I just quit RC altogether since I didn't know of any RC out this way. But eventually I found the onroad guys at Twinbridges and race with them in the winter. I think you've raced with them last year. I primarily race 1/8th nitro buggy in the spring, summer, and fall but if you got something going in Peoria I'll try to show up. I frequent the offroad track in Peoria when its not under water.

I don't have a VTA. All I have is touring car and 1/12th scale.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:49 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by slow
Justin, I was pretty much in the same boat as you. I moved out of Chicagoland to a small town about an hour east of the quad cities. I just quit RC altogether since I didn't know of any RC out this way. But eventually I found the onroad guys at Twinbridges and race with them in the winter. I think you've raced with them last year. I primarily race 1/8th nitro buggy in the spring, summer, and fall but if you got something going in Peoria I'll try to show up. I frequent the offroad track in Peoria when its not under water.

So you have what you need for VTA minus tires and a body Worst case is a LiPo and a 21.5 and you can call it a day
Old 11-11-2009, 01:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by slow

See, I knew there was more of us out there lol. Thanks for the interest guys. Any inputs would be great. I think I will hit up the races at Twin Bridges this year and continue to get the word out on starting a club here, it might just work..
Old 11-17-2009, 07:55 AM
Tech Rookie

Default central Ill on-road

Allen's rc cars in Rochester, il was running a very nice on road program but the car count dwindled I think so i haven't seen them run on road in a year or more, I think if the demand and count came up he may run on road. I cannot speak for Allen and the crew there but wouldn't hurt to see if anyone else on here races there. They always have a good count for mini lates and 1/10 pan oval if interested and they are good people and have never had any problems racing there.

Last edited by C_Ush78; 11-17-2009 at 08:00 AM. Reason: adding info
Old 11-17-2009, 12:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Justin, we would love to see you at Twin Bridges. There is a rumor that we are going to have a outside track this summer also. If we could put together a TA series like the one in the Chicago area I think that it mike work for both of us. I would not have a problem driving to Peoria and dragging a few others with me as well. We have our next race on the 29th if you or anyone else wants to race we will be open.