Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Wisconsin & Illinois Racing
The 2009 SPEKTRUM OFF-ROAD CHAMPS @ TRACKSIDE >

The 2009 SPEKTRUM OFF-ROAD CHAMPS @ TRACKSIDE

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2009 SPEKTRUM OFF-ROAD CHAMPS @ TRACKSIDE

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 02:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by random76
if they are as good as people say the slow guys shouldnt have to pull over the fast guys should know how and when to pass ....just like racing real cars you dont see mark martin slow down cause he know jimmy johnson is faster he passes when he knows he can pass without wrecking the other driver racing is supposed to be a challenge and putting all the fast guys in one race ....where is the challenge in that
The reason why you don't see Mark Martin pulling over for Jimmy Johnson is because they are racing, not qualifying. You're comparing apples to oranges...
Old 12-07-2009, 03:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

My round 1 & 2 Mod Buggy qualifier and round 1 qual times looked like this...

1 Achterkirch, Nick 22 / 5:09.19
- 2 Phend, Dakotah 21 / 5:02.48
- 3 Due, Chad 22 / 5:06.02
- 4 Just, Steven 21 / 5:10.96
- 5 Reichow, Aaron 19 / 5:01.28
- 6 Ernst, Sarah 21 / 5:15.85
- 7 McDonough, Matt 21 / 5:03.79

6 very quick racers and myself. Nervous before the race? Sure. Mostly Trackside regulars? Sure.

In round 2 Mod Buggy, Chad Due came up to me very quickly and bump drafted me but was very patient and waited for my rookie ___ to move over. Stuff happens and it was no way intentional for me to slow him down.

Anyway, just an example of an average racer mixed in with pros/fast racers.

Lastly, did you express your displeasure with the race director at the end of the day? Next year, you can run this event and we'll see how far you get. Many, MANY people worked VERY hard before, during and after this event to make it the best it could be.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

Scott L.,

Put your fish goggles back on, Katzer deserved that win. You cant blame a marshall. Same thing happened to me but the individual marshaling threw my truck down rather than picking it up and setting it down. After throwing it, it landed on its roof and sat there for 10-15 seconds. Thinking that it was on all fours.

It sucks but you cant blame no one else except yourself
Old 12-07-2009, 04:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

the marshal did what is right. Gary crashed and the marshal put him down on the side of the track he crashed, not throwing him over the turn. Same with bud, he was set down on the side he crashed on. gary did win it.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:56 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default RACE

Originally Posted by not home
the marshal did what is right. Gary crashed and the marshal put him down on the side of the track he crashed, not throwing him over the turn. Same with bud, he was set down on the side he crashed on. gary did win it.
WHAT RACE WERE YOU WATCHING THE MARSHALL THREW HIM 10' IN FRONT OF WHERE HE CRASHED. COME ON GARY A. YOU EVEN AGREED WITH ME RIGHT AFTER THE RACE IT WASNT RIGHT. YOU JUST DIDNT LIKE BUD RUNNING IN STOCK.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

The entire Trackside crew deserves a huge thanks for all their work! Also to Spektrum, and all the sponsors for helping make this race possible.
The level of competition was as tough as ever
Thanks again Scotty and crew!
Old 12-07-2009, 08:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Scott

What about the money you gave me to take out your boys competition.....LMAO
Old 12-07-2009, 08:20 PM
Tech Initiate

Default RACE

THAT WAS ONLY IF YOU MADE THE A MAIN DID YOU MAKE THE A ?????? I DONT THINK SO.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

What main did you make?
Old 12-07-2009, 08:28 PM
Tech Initiate

Default RACE

NOW WHO SHOULD PUT THE GLASSES ON I WASNT EVEN RACING.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

Your all washed up Ricky Bobby
Old 12-07-2009, 08:42 PM
Tech Initiate

Default RICKY

BUY ME A BLITZ AND I WILL RUN YOU FOR TITLES
Old 12-07-2009, 08:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

Check your ware house
Old 12-07-2009, 10:23 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by random76
not trying to be an asshole but i thought there was alot of things WRONG with the way this event was ran......1 i dont like that in the qualifiers all the good people were in the same heats...it should be randomized heats not this lets put all the trackside regulars in the same heat bullshit it give them an unfair advantege..2. bumb ups for 3 classes or what ever if your gonna run bump ups it should be for every class,or no class at all ......3. triple a mains for 1 class wtf is that all about im sure any one in an A main that didnt place 1st would have liked to run two more races ....i know its because you want to watch the pros run more but if you do it for one class do it for all of them. also the raffle at the end of racing was terrible. you should have said if you dont have a short coarse truck you might as well leave when your done racing....people waited around for 3 or 4 hours to win what a pair of tires or stuff they cant even use all im saying is that was some really lame raffle. sorry for the constructive criticism but i thought it might help next years event better
Well I was very happy and proud of the event we produced until I read this. So I will explain how things happen. I can say I have a small bit of experience at race directing events. I even have a few major events under my belt. As a race director I have many things to take into account. One is to ensure that everyone has the best opportunity to have the an equal opportunity in racing. Not knowing who you are by your name "random76" I am assuming this may have been your first big event. As I posted in my race report, I worry as much about the "regular Joe's as I do the Pro racer. My goal as a director is to balance out the heats to ensure everyone has an opportunity to have good qualifiers. The fast guys will always be fast. no question of this. But one thing I can guarantee you is that if you have 4 pro drivers in a heat and 4 rookies. The pro drivers are still going to be fast. But I can guarantee you. The rookies will have no chance at all to get good qualifiers because they will always be moving out of the way of the fast guys.

You also comment "if they are as good as people say the slow guys shouldnt have to pull over the fast guys should know how and when to pass" Unfortunatly this is not how RC Racing events are run. Since during qualifications we are not racing each other but rather racing against the clock, proper RC racing etiquette is for the slower cars to move out of the way when a faster car approaches them. This is the way it is done. which means that a slower driver or rookie driver who is in a heat with many fast drivers will have absolutely no way to have a good qualifying run since he is always having to move out of the way every couple of turns since a much faster car is approaching. You many not agree with this procedure, but that is the way it is done world wide in our industry. So when I set up the heats for the first round. I have many things I have to factor in. But my most important consideration is not for the Pro drivers, but it is for the average racers to give them the best opportunity to qualify for the A main.

As for stacking the heats to give the Trackside drivers the advantage, I am not going to even respond to that. You obviously do not know me or my reputation as a race director so I will just treat that comment as you misspoke.

As for the Bump Ups, Bump ups are a unique thing that has come to be in electric racing with the invention of Lipo Batteries. With the popularity in Short Course racing this adds a unique twist to the class that we have done at Trackside since the inception of this class. Also with the Outlaw class this is a long standing Trackside class that we do this with.

Triple A mains: Triple A mains are not always run at major events. They are done at some and we have done them at Trackside in the past. Again as a race director I have many things to factor in when I plan out the race program. We had 70 preregistered racers before the event and when it was race time, we had 191 entries. With this amount of entries there was no way we could have done triple A finals for all classes. It would have added 18 more races to the day, 5 min for the race 3 min between each race that would have added 2 hours and 24 min to the race program getting us done at 10pm. This of course is not acceptable and thus the reason we did not do it for all classes. The reason for it being done for Mod Buggy is this was the premier class of the event. Not only the class with the most entries, but it is the class that our sponsors spent money to send some of the best racers in the USA to Trackside to join us. That is the reason.

Raffell: I am sorry if it was not clear that the tickets were for a general raffle but I thought I made it clear in the drivers meeting that the free ticket you were given with your entry was for the Large door prizes donated by Spektrum and Associated. As for what we gave away in the raffell. We have 3 bodies, 2 SC and 1 T4 body. 4 sets of J Concepts truck Bar Codes. 3 sets of buggy Bar Codes. 1 set of Slash tires. 1 set of buggy rims. 1 set of T4 truck rims. 1 set of SC10 rims. when I picked the prizes I picked things that were balanced to the amount of entries we had. I am sorry if you did not win anything or won something that did not fit to what you were racing.

I thank you for your comments on to what you thought was lacking in the race program, but your comments will be respected a lot more if you leave out the foul language and the WTF comments. I will work hard to become a better race director and improve things for next years event.

Thanks for joining us and I hope you will be back next year.
Thank you.
Scotty
Old 12-08-2009, 05:10 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This was our first visit to Wisconsin and Trackside. We really enjoyed seeing old friends and meeting all of the locals. Thanks for inviting to such a great facility Scotty!! We look forward to coming back to Trackside next year.
Dakotah, Doug, & Nancy Phend

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.