Outback RC 2008

Old 11-03-2008, 04:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default Outback RC 2008

No Racing Planned til Spring 2009

2009 features the RC Pro Series Slash Nationals events at the outback:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/wisconsi...nationals.html

See post #22 for 2009 track design ideas.

A little view of the 2008 Outback.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qvz9BydL0ls

Old Thread:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/wisconsi...arengo-il.html

Last edited by BobWoodhouse; 01-02-2009 at 05:31 PM.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:44 PM
Tech Elite

We are making plans for 2009. If you haven't been out, you can take a glimpse of what we had in 2008 using the link to the video above. Any suggestions are welcome.

So far we have requests for "more air", maybe a little more size.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Timing System?

Bob-

Just wondering which timing system you use? i-lap?
Old 11-11-2008, 03:50 AM
Tech Elite

SC,

I do use the iLap system. It comes down to what was the best system I could deploy and what would work for my visitors. Luckily, the software is the same as for the famous ambRc system. With the lower system cost combined with the lower transponder cost, it made sense in this case. There is a series of tracks in the area that have adopted this approach. The extremeRC, Barnyard, and Strictly are some others I know of. One neat fact that does not matter to me just now is that the transponder is very small, and I heard rumor that a much smaller one is in the works. This would make things like mini-Z's and those other micro cars raceable.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:35 AM
Tech Elite

I posted info about outbackRc over on nitroKillers:

http://www.nitrokillers.com/showthre...ed=1#post10932

I thought it was an interesting question, and I have wondered if outback gives any weird feelings to folks due to the free admission, such as it must not be a real track, or maybe it won't last long enough to be worth visiting. Here was the question and my response. Let me know your take.
---------------------------------------------------------------

if racing is always free, how do you guys make ends meet? do you pick the racer's pockets during the races?
Well, now the cat's out of the bag. Off to a new town now.

No, just kidding.

Here is the idea. If I rented a commercial building, started a store and a race track; I might not break even, I might go out of business, I might end up loosing $x,xxx.
So, instead of doing all that work, I plan for about $2,000 per year to put into the track. It is really no more expensive than other hobbiest's approach -- instead of having several rides with cool stuff, I have a couple older used rides, plus a track.

In 2007, I bought a tiller attachment for my tractor ($800 used (it's aDeere)) and a couple/few hundred feet of pipe ($75) and some roundup.

In 2008, I bought a timing system ($500+), scoring bridge ($50), drivers' stand ($400), more pipe ($75), rock salt ($25), 3/4" hose ($100), better extension cords ($90), a used pop-up camper (to be 2009 scoring booth) ($500).

Next in line is a Commercial hose reel (I get worn out reel up that hose in my arms)($250), Extra drivers' stand section ($100), more iLap transponders ($300), full racing software for scoring ($250), more pipe ($75), occasional bobcat/dingo help from neighbors or rental store ($xxx), and porta-potty rental/purchase/service.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:57 AM
Tech Adept

Bob, I commend you on your efforts and willingness to help other drivers in the area have a place to race. Your approach is unique and if local guys came out to help you might be able to get more done in a shorter amount of time.

Great job with what you have started.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:02 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BobWoodhouse
I posted info about outbackRc over on nitroKillers:

http://www.nitrokillers.com/showthre...ed=1#post10932

I thought it was an interesting question, and I have wondered if outback gives any weird feelings to folks due to the free admission, such as it must not be a real track, or maybe it won't last long enough to be worth visiting. Here was the question and my response. Let me know your take.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Well, now the cat's out of the bag. Off to a new town now.

No, just kidding.

Here is the idea. If I rented a commercial building, started a store and a race track; I might not break even, I might go out of business, I might end up loosing $x,xxx.
So, instead of doing all that work, I plan for about $2,000 per year to put into the track. It is really no more expensive than other hobbiest's approach -- instead of having several rides with cool stuff, I have a couple older used rides, plus a track.

In 2007, I bought a tiller attachment for my tractor ($800 used (it's aDeere)) and a couple/few hundred feet of pipe ($75) and some roundup.

In 2008, I bought a timing system ($500+), scoring bridge ($50), drivers' stand ($400), more pipe ($75), rock salt ($25), 3/4" hose ($100), better extension cords ($90), a used pop-up camper (to be 2009 scoring booth) ($500).

Next in line is a Commercial hose reel (I get worn out reel up that hose in my arms)($250), Extra drivers' stand section ($100), more iLap transponders ($300), full racing software for scoring ($250), more pipe ($75), occasional bobcat/dingo help from neighbors or rental store ($xxx), and porta-potty rental/purchase/service.

Bob I think its great that you offer your race for no fees, if people are worried about it you can always tell them they can provide a donation, or help work on it. Just a thought. Keep up the great work!
Old 11-11-2008, 06:39 AM
Tech Elite

JTEC,

Thanks.

SC,

It's funny, but even with my desk-job physique, it is not that hard to build and maintain the track with just 1 person. I bet when I get around to building more elevation (this fall / next spring), I probably could fit in another worker or two for 1 day. If I can get more folks to run on it, then I will have a nice savings in how much Round-up I need, as those cars really keep the weeds at bay.

I forgot to add to the 2009 list a PA system ($300 or less) and a printer ($50?). I also have this irresistable compulsion to replace the AlyCat siren sound with the sound of a digeri-doo(sp?).
Old 11-11-2008, 06:47 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Thumbs up OutBack

Is the track off road only? ................Thanks
Old 11-11-2008, 07:25 AM
Tech Adept

DadandSonRC, Bobs track is outside behind his home on his property and he only runs electric. Check out his website www.outbackrc.com Pretty great start id you ask me.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:48 AM
Tech Elite

D&S,

It is off-road. I have floated around the idea of including a dirt oval. Didn't get much interest, and then I had to recognize that I am very familiar with off-road, but not at all with oval. Without oval being in my heart/blood, I am inclined to skip that idea for 2009.

I think on-road would be interesting. I have no plans for it right now. It would probably require me to make a multi-purpose on-raod / basketball court asphalt pad. That would be an idea subject to review after a couple years.

I put my VTA car out on the dirt track just for kicks, and it got hung up on a little piece of crab grass. Cracked me up.

One thing that I am looking at is how to make the place open to a maximum spread of people, but not encourage class dilution. I have limited the venue to electric, but we still have a wide spread of visitors -- 1/8th conversion, 1/10th (2wd, 4wd, truck), 1/18th, Slash.

Another idea floating around (in my mind) is to have some kind of totally open electric rookie class (for rookies), maybe a totally open exhibition class (for special stuff), and then ROAR-guided standard classes so that the outback might be able to attract & produce folks who race in such a standard way.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:16 AM
Tech Regular

Default Track

Thanks for the info...Looks like a fun place for the off roaders !! Hopefully in the future you get an oval up and running. I will have to stop out and see your facility................ D&S
Old 11-13-2008, 08:17 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the info...Looks like a fun place for the off roaders !! Hopefully in the future you get an oval up and running. I will have to stop out and see your facility................ D&S
Come out any time. You could just zip around the track for fun. It is nice and damp these days.

Well, there are always ways to make things happen. If an experienced and solid-looking oval person had a group of guys that wanted to run electric oval and design the oval and help take care of the oval and run the oval race program on their favorite day of the week, well, things are possible. Someone should also take a look at my dirt sometime and say if it would be good for oval. I am not really inclined to import dirt, and especially not inclined to import road base to go under the dirt. You never know.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BobWoodhouse
One thing that I am looking at is how to make the place open to a maximum spread of people, but not encourage class dilution. I have limited the venue to electric, but we still have a wide spread of visitors -- 1/8th conversion, 1/10th (2wd, 4wd, truck), 1/18th, Slash.
It depends on what comes out to race, but I would think for starters; 1/10 2wd, 1/10 4wd, slash, and possibly 1/18.
Actually most tracks make a class for 3 or more of anything that shows up.
Larry.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:48 PM
Tech Regular

Thumbs up Racing

Bob,Thanks again for the reply,I have been racing oval for 20 years--But mostly carpet ,asphalt and concrete. I do have dirt oval cars but the tracks are far and few in the area. From what i see on your thread it seems like you have a base group of offroaders i think i would stay with that for now!!! I did purchase an off road truck so i will be out there eventually doing some rehab right now.Hmmmm bought a V/T car and now off road i must be getting old.

Thanks again for the info Bob

D&S

Go Fast Turn Left !!! DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT

Time to start building the Truck..... These are two of my D.O. Cars
Attached Thumbnails Outback RC 2008-dd-cw.jpg   Outback RC 2008-nitro-cw.jpg  

Last edited by Dadandsonrc; 11-14-2008 at 12:03 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.