Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Wisconsin & Illinois Racing
Electric Backyard Offraod Track in Marengo, IL >

Electric Backyard Offraod Track in Marengo, IL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Electric Backyard Offraod Track in Marengo, IL

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 08:58 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Hey Bob

Nice to see someone willing to let people use there track, i have no offroad cars right now but thinking of a Slash, I used to race at Valley farms also.

Where is your track at ? I'd like to drive by and see it

Thanks Tom
Old 07-17-2008, 09:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Tom,

Hi. I am at 25004 Jackson Road, Marengo, IL. If you look that up in Google maps, it put you a little ways down the street from where I really am.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...,0.006652&z=17

The small green-roofed house in the middle has a circular driveway in front of it. The track is behind the house (to the north).

Here is a larger view:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...8,0.85144&z=10

We had some Slashes at the track. They struggle compared to a racing vehicle, but can be fun in that same regard. Mainly, they will fishtail a bit and have a bit less rear traction than desired. Just FYI.

Generally, you can come out and look whenever it is handy.

I had such a nice turnout last week that I have been inspired to improve the tracks a bit. I prefer to pace my expenditures a bit, and also to have feedback along the way. I think the sadest thing would be if the track went unused as we all sat around complaining about not having a track.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:38 AM
Tech Elite

Tom,

BTW, I like racing Vintage TA at Strictly RC in Norridge with ChicagoKenji. I am considering an iLap system.

Best,
Bob
Old 07-17-2008, 12:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Tires for Bob's track

Hey Bob,
I couldn't get the Goosebump tires because everyone is sold out-even JConcepts! I bought some Pro-Line M3 Bowties and I will see how those work on your track.
I have some bow ties for a T4 along with a few other spare parts I will bring over to you some time.
Jason and I were going to race our Inferno GTs at Hobbytown this weekend so our wives don't give us a hard time about why we have them.
Throw a few dates up here for people to come over and race-maybe we could have a Slash and a Mod Buggy class or something.
Let me know if you need help with the track because I have time during the week because work is slow right now.
Later,
Nick
Old 07-20-2008, 04:12 PM
Tech Elite

Well, I did not push for a race today. Instead, I was finishing up the first section of the driver's stand. It is a 6-foot length with 3 feet of width and 3 feet of height (6 feet including the railing). I will be working on section #2 during this week (each section will be about 6 feet of extra length), and then I might take a break on that until we see that a longer stand is needed.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

That sounds mighty fancy! A railing too! You go all out Bob! I like how you made 6' sections-good idea. Jason and I told a couple guys at Hobbytown about your track so maybe we can get a few more to show up. Keep us posted.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:54 AM
Tech Elite

Jason,

Thanks.

I got the idea for the 6-foot sections from the StrictlyRC track in Norridge. I am glad I did not make it bigger than that because it is HEAVY. I just got material to make the stair unit, and I think that should be all built this week. Since I am putting deck stain on them, it will take a little extra time, but when the unit is assembled, I will take a picture and post it here.

One other improvement is using a shorter hose (not wound up on a hose reel) from the other house spigot to get better watering pressure.

I have practiced a little with AlyCat for doing manual entries. I need a class on that software, as I will get into siuations I don't know how to correct.

Let me know if the upcoming weekend or some other weekend looks good.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:49 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BobWoodhouse

I have practiced a little with AlyCat for doing manual entries. I need a class on that software, as I will get into siuations I don't know how to correct.
Did you download the Alycat manual?

http://www.alycat.com/AlycatRC/WebSi...alSetup9.0.exe

Last time I looked there's a tutorial within the content. Walt a chicagoland racer created the tutorial for Alycat. That was mighty helpful to me when I first started. You can also get help from me if you'd like. I'm assuming you are using a laptop. Bring it with to one of our races and I can set you up and help out.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:46 AM
Tech Elite

CK,

I didn't follow the tutorial too closely. Maybe I should try that.

I just finished a fake first qualifier, but there were unresolved laps, and I couldn't figure out how to resolve them. Then I deleted the first qualifier, and it would not let me move on to the second qualifier because something about the first qualifier was still open.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:13 AM
Tech Elite

I'd run the software without having unresolved laps turned on.

In the preferences go to Race Settings. Go to Running and Finish, in the middle of the screen is "Checking of suspect laps". Put a check mark in "Ignore above, ignore all suspect laps". Once setup this way you won't get a dialogue box that needs tending to inbetween races.

You know if there's a prob just by looking at the race results.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:15 PM
Tech Elite

Default July 27 Race Meeting

The ChiTownRC board had some queries, so, OK. Let's say we have a July 27 (Sunday) "race". Show up around 10:30 to strt running. Normally, I would say practice at 10:30, race at 12:30. We haven't had real racing heats yet, but I will practice with the AlyCat scoring system and maybe try some manual entry races.

What will be different from last time? We will have a small driver's stand this time. It offers 3 feet of elevation and can currently fit maybe 4 racers. It will be extended later. We also will abandon my pop-up tent. The wind can get a bit bothersome with it. We can try pitting under the trees where it is nice and shady.

Any questions,just ask away.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:46 AM
Tech Elite

This Sunday, July 27, from about 10:30 in the morning, we will be running on the track. At least 2 other 2WD buggies and/or slashes have called in for this weekend. Come on out.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:08 PM
Tech Elite

Some photos. Two pics from our first meeting.

Picture of StrictlyRC drivers stand that I am using as a model for our stand.
Attached Thumbnails Electric Backyard Offraod Track in Marengo, IL-grandopening1.jpg   Electric Backyard Offraod Track in Marengo, IL-grandopening2.jpg   Electric Backyard Offraod Track in Marengo, IL-standinspiration.jpg  
Old 07-26-2008, 04:01 PM
Tech Elite

Here is the new driver's stand, with an extra module or two coming in the future.
Attached Thumbnails Electric Backyard Offraod Track in Marengo, IL-trackstand1a.jpg  
Old 07-28-2008, 04:37 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks to all the folks who came out yesterday. We had 5 racers, with mostly 2wd buggy/truck, a 4wd, and a 1/8th scale electric buggy.

The driver's stand turned out to be sturdy and high enough for the job. We had some more discussions about placing some jumps, getting a scoring system, and other track details.

Probably, the next race meeting would be in 3 weeks, the 17th of August, but let that be confirmed here as we get closer to that date.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.