Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Wisconsin & Illinois Racing
Your Opinions Please! Re: Pit Stops, 8th Scale Buggy, Truggy, Nitro, Electric >

Your Opinions Please! Re: Pit Stops, 8th Scale Buggy, Truggy, Nitro, Electric

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your Opinions Please! Re: Pit Stops, 8th Scale Buggy, Truggy, Nitro, Electric

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 07:08 AM
Tech Elite

[QUOTE=Balzonya;4272181] That is the Gayist thing /QUOTE]

What's wrong with being gay?
Old 03-19-2008, 07:08 AM
Tech Elite

[QUOTE=Balzonya;4272181] That is the Gayist thing [QUOTE]

What's wrong with being gay?
Old 03-19-2008, 08:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC Scoring Pro
How long can the electric go before the batteries need to be replaced ? If it is 15 minutes, and the main is 30 minutes, and it takes say 1 minute to replace the batteries, I think the nitro guys should be forced to take a 1 minute pit stop at the 15 minute mark. That is similar to what is being forced on the electric guys here. What if somebody releases a nitro motor that is $1000 but can go 15 minutes on a tank, does he have to stop at the 7 minute mark also ?
What if somebody releases a jet turbine engine that runs for an hour on 30cc's of lighter fluid and cow turds? Last I checked nobody's pulled that off yet, so why worry about it now?
Originally Posted by weaponx
There is one huge flaw with the above logic. If im not mistaken this is a NITRO series? Why would the Nitro vehicles, have to make concessions, for the electric, in a Nitro race? So how is anything being forced on electric cars running in a nitro race? Sounds like a 3 to 4 sec. stop and go sounds fair. And I have nothing against brushless 1/8th scale electric. I think it would be awesome to be able to run it indoors over the winter.
Just because the series name has the word "nitro" in it, you think Matt has to turn people away because none of the cars they brought has a fuel-burning engine? We need MORE people competing in MWNX, not less
Originally Posted by Geo Y-Rock
Missle, when did you become an expert on a class you don't even participate in...i.e. 1/8th scale
When did I say that? Funny thing is, the same brushless motors and LiPo packs being used in 1/8th Buggy conversions will bolt right into an RC10T4 or XXX-T, or even that T4-buggy thing JConcepts is making. Me & my GT2 have just as much say in this argument as anyone else here.
Also, when did you become the moderator of the Midwest Nitrocross? If there's something going on about the decisions made for the series we should hear it from Matt, not you.
So then why even start this thread in the first place? Because Matt's asking for our opinion on the topic before he makes his decision. That's why the thread title is "Your Opinions Please!", not "I'm Going To Pick One Person to Tell Me How To Run the Series" or "Let's All Give Mike Crap For No Apparent Reason"
Vintage is right on the money comparing Indy and Nascar. I ran against John W at the rock pile. He had an inferior chassis to my Losi 8ight. I had an RB Concepts C6 and couldn't get away from him. He was running Lipo/Brushless.
Lemme see if I understood that last part: You and another driver had a close race, the whole time he's putting immense pressure on you as a driver to keep your focus and not let him back by, in what must've been a very exciting and nerve-racking battle for position, and this is a bad thing? You do realize this is "competition", right?
Originally Posted by schmidt452
I think that it would be bad for clubs, another class split. Before the truggy class came about it was not uncommon to have a full a, b and even a handful in c mains in 1/8 buggy. Now there is the same 20-30 guys racing but in two different classes, not that that is bad but if split the classes up again we would end up racing the same 6 guys all day.

I say run what ever you want, at the end of the day it is all about having fun.
(First of all, congrats on getting an intelligent thought in edgewise in here) Agreed. Everyone keeps saying Gas Truck is dead -though we're still hanging in there - because of low turnout for the class (which is the biggest catch-22 I've ever heard, but that's another story). So by splitting up BL and nitro buggy and truggy, we'll end up running a dozen classes with a couple of cars in each. We might as well be doing single car time trials, kinda like Gas Truck is now
Old 03-19-2008, 08:29 AM
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

just do what you want, you cant seem to tell the budzeen anything, he knows it all and is NEVER wrong.....

make the rules and the racers will decide if they want to race......
Old 03-19-2008, 09:55 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default Nitro

Look at it this way, if you were to try and take a nitro to race in the electric class do you think everyone running electric would have an issue with? You bet! If it is a Nitro series then it should be a Nitro series. Everyone faces the same issues with motors. If it is an electric series/class it should be an electric class, very one faces the same issues with the batteries they choose or allowed to run.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Yeah Missle, this thread is asking for our opinions. But whenever someone asks anything about the Nitrocross, whatever thread it may be, you reply to it before Matt F. even has a chance to.

YYYYYYYYY-M-C-A!!!!!!!
Old 03-19-2008, 09:58 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Geo's point about the BL race he had was pointing out an obvious advantage that the BL car had. If you know Geo, you know he is one of the better 1/8th racers anywhere around. John W is also a great driver but he would agree that he had a clear advantage to be able to stay with Geo while using a dated chassis on a rough track.

another point regarding BL, reverse. BL systems are reverse capable and I have seen it applied during racing. There should be a no warning 1 lap penalty for using reverse. Long marshalling is something we all have to deal with and can even result in a flameout.

BL should be embraced as it is very likely going to grow but it's advantages need to be countered so that it can be raced fairly with Nitro until it's a big enough class to be run on it's own. It is not right now...
Old 03-19-2008, 10:33 AM
Tech Elite

Geo I am impressed that you went out to your car and got those CD's out of the changer so you could post the artists on here
Old 03-19-2008, 10:40 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Davidka
BL should be embraced as it is very likely going to grow but it's advantages need to be countered so that it can be raced fairly with Nitro until it's a big enough class to be run on it's own. It is not right now...
True true, but the real question is how do we go about doing that? I think we all agree mandating pit stops is a good idea. As for out on the track, I dunno, maybe a gear rule? MWNX Summer Legends did pretty good by limiting the range of pinion gears drivers could choose from to even up BL-versus-brushed cars, the idea might carry over to BL versus nitro. With some experimenting we could come up with a gear ratio that'll have the BL cars hanging right with the nitros, and allow only pinion gears that come within plus or minus a couple teeth of that ratio.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:50 AM
Tech Elite

[QUOTE=OTE_TheMissile;4276173] I think we all agree mandating pit stops is a good idea. /QUOTE]

No we don't.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I think Just do them both heads up against each other with no pits for the electrics and compare the lap times from the nitro and electric and if there is clear advantage for the electrics then start with the pits or something. Driver ability is another factor also. You have fast guy's running nitro and there might be some fast guy's running electric. I think it will be a figure it out as you go type thing to keep it fair and competitive.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:00 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by OTE_TheMissile
True true, but the real question is how do we go about doing that? I think we all agree mandating pit stops is a good idea. As for out on the track, I dunno, maybe a gear rule? MWNX Summer Legends did pretty good by limiting the range of pinion gears drivers could choose from to even up BL-versus-brushed cars, the idea might carry over to BL versus nitro. With some experimenting we could come up with a gear ratio that'll have the BL cars hanging right with the nitros, and allow only pinion gears that come within plus or minus a couple teeth of that ratio.
Real quick brushless motors can over heat when geared wrong and then you'd be done for the race also the speed controllers will overheat if the motor is geared wrong. so you cant expect someone running electric to run a specific gear ratio or something close to that because It might harm the whole car and ruin a day but yes that can happen with a nitro car and it will ruin their day too so these thing s should also be taken into consideration If you use "the all knowings" gear ratio Idea.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I want to throw some ideas out there for you guys. Here is what the Pro Series is doing for the Electric vehicles:

1st - All Electric Vehicles must pit. There is no time limit. You come in, your pit guy picks you up, sets you on the wood, then puts you back out.

2nd - There is a set battery voltage for each class be it 7.4v, 14.8v, or what ever.

3rd - Electric vehicles must meet the weight requirements for the Nitro class. Im not sure how much of a weight diff an Electric Buggy would have over a Nitro but I would have to think that there is some.

I dont think it really makes much sense to recreate the wheel. Carlton over at the Pro Series I would think put some sort of thought into allowing Electrics to run with the Nitros and this is not just at the state level you could go to a National Pro Series event and compete in either the MT or 1/10 Truck class with an Electric Vehicle.

Also Electric guys you have to understand that they are coming into a Nitro Series. So the sucky part for you is you are going to have to play by the Nitro rules be it what ever they are. Pit stop, weight, and so on.

It would be no diff if a Nitro were to run in an Electric event. You are not going to change the rules. They are going to have to pit, and probably are going to weigh a whole heck of alot more.

Like David said the 1/8 Electric will grow. We have to just make the two work until it does.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Ok, I have a new twist on this "mandatory pit stop" idea. This idea was phoned in to me a couple hours ago. One problem exists with trying to enforce the mandatory pit rule...that is the arguments and finger pointing that could happen afterward when one person accuses another person of not pitting when they really did...or not pitting long enough. Here is the solution...figure out the pit times ( let's call it 8 minutes, 5 seconds each ) then do a "stagger start" in the beginning of the race...holding back the electric cars that total amount of time. For example, for a 20 minute race, there would be two pit stops for anybody that can go 8 minutes between.

So when the horn blows on the 8th Scale Buggy A-Main, and all the Nitro cars take off...the electric cars hold back for 10 full seconds...then another horn blows and then you have the entire race to kick but, and nobody has to police the pit stops because you've already served your time.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:43 PM
Tech Initiate

Let the nitro guys use larger gas tanks when Blipo's enter the class.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.