Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Wisconsin & Illinois Racing
Likes and Dislikes about the RCK and RC Pro WI Series >

Likes and Dislikes about the RCK and RC Pro WI Series

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Likes and Dislikes about the RCK and RC Pro WI Series

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 07:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

[QUOTE=henry;3787942].......until I can figure out how to crap 50 dollar bills.......QUOTE]

That would put a whole new spin on "money laundry"
Old 10-22-2007, 09:15 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Gas truck is the last division I raced when we had a track here in the U.P. Fun class and cost effective. Until we get a track going again up here, or until I can figure out how to crap 50 dollar bills I can't validate spending the required amount of $$$ on an 1/8 scale when it looks like I am going to have to travel a couple of hours minimum to go to a race.
I also firmly believe that 1/10th scale and MT should be eliminated. Let those guys get buggies and/or truggies instead of watering down the racing pool.
my point exactly!!!!

i enjoy running my monster truck and my 1/10 gas truck. at my local track we had a good showing of both all summer. and i also ran both at the one pro series race i was able to make it to this year. and yes the competition was tough in both classes just like it was for both 1/8 scale classes. maybee when i get bored with one or both of my trucks then i will get into 1/8 classes.

so like i said before maybee some people really don't appreciate the hobby and should stick to playing golf so the rest of us can enjoy what we race.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:32 PM
Tech Addict

Since everyone is going crazy about 1/10th Gas Truck I just want to say that it is not going to go anywhere. It will be in the 2008 Pro Series no matter what.

So here is what I am going to do for the 1/10th Gas Truck guys......

Since a majority think they are boring I am thinking about creating a new class that will really give people something to talk about.

Here is a pic of what will be in the class

I think they go about .10 mph with the wind on its back. They might make one lap if lucky. I dont know I think they are a good alternative what does everyone else think.

Just a little something to think about

Josh Thompson
RC Khaos
RC Pro WI
Old 10-22-2007, 02:32 PM
Tech Regular

WHERE CAN YOU BUY ONE!?!?!?!
Old 10-22-2007, 02:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

10th scale will die a slow and painful death all on it's own. Surely those few guys will get tired of the lack of competition and get buggies or truggies sooner or later. Time will tell though.

The new beginner class should be the new Axial 1/8th scale stadium trucks. It's a truggy chassis with buggy arms, proportional tires and a body that covers the tires. Beginners will have a vehicle that doesn't break as often. They can also be driven side by side without flipping over due to tire hang ups saving marshalls backs. http://www.rcnitrotalk.com/694/axial...-trophy-truck/

Last edited by satoch; 10-22-2007 at 05:11 PM.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

If 1/10th dies, then it dies. But don't ask the race director to kill it. Its still a fun class, and there is a national championship for it. Let people run it if they want.

It just seems odd to me that someone always mentions to bring more people into racing, yet wants to kill the classes that beginners start in. Monster truck is a great beginner class, and 1/10th is by far the most affordable. The worst idea ever is to tell people who have never driven an r/c car to start out with a 1/8th buggy or truggy that goes 50mph+. Personally, I am scared to marshall those classes if it were full of 10 non-experienced drivers. I am quite fond of my ankles, and I would like to go through the summer without having one be blown out by a 10 pound vehicle.

Also, let the beginner class be a standard chassis. Making someone buy a special chassis just to start out, then buy all new stuff when they get the hang of it is just driving up the cost and turning people off of the hobby. Not to mention that nobody carries parts for the Axial.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Location: Abrams, WI (Yes the same town as CJ & John Greaves)

I agree with Rohde. I've read numerous times about racers asking to bring new people into the hobby. Why kill a class that's reasonably priced and gets people to understand and control the power at their fingertips?

Those 1/10th scale drivers deserve alot of credit. Trying to drive a high-powered 2 wheel drive is not easy and trying to keep from breaking one is another challenge.

Too bad mod electric's can't be tossed in with those 1/10th scalers to raise the truck counts. Just a thought...
Old 10-23-2007, 08:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Thumbs up

1st.......Josh, don't let any of the crap that the unhappy racers sling get to you. Just put that stuff on your roses and watch em grow.
Anyone that put in as much work as it took to promote these series certainly won't harm the health and growth of the R/C world.

It's my opinion that many racers have forgotten just what it is that drives this hobby.........FUN! We all love watching these units do incredible things.Those folks condemning the 1/10th and Monster classes are going through life with blinders on (I think it's their butt cheeks blocking their vision). I can honestly tell you that I myself don't find these classes the most fun to watch, but I CAN tell you that those people IN those classes are having just as much fun as those of us in the 1/8th scale classes.

Case in point: 10/21 was the final race of the season at Marshall R/C Park. It had rained heavily much of the week and the track was saturated to the max. Saturday Keith and I pumped all the standing water off the track but it was still 3" deep ooze. Many racers phoned to see if we would still run the event. I assured everyone that we would do everything possible to get it in. I knew the turn out would be low. Sunday morning one of the 1st vehicles to pull in was the Bertsinger family. This is a father/ sons/ grandson group that run 1/10th electric. At close of registration, the largest class was....................1/10th electric!!! 9 entries!! (buggy had 8) Everyone of them was willing to race in the muck.
Now, to all you 1/8 scalers who think the "less popular" classes should be dropped................would YOU tell these 9 racers that their class is going to be dropped? I swear these folks had more fun than the nitro classes.
Our viewpoint at Thorp is............3 makes a class...........we won't tell anyone they can't have FUN! And FUN is what it's all about PERIOD! If it isn't fun........you're too serious.

Josh, I know you'll do what's needed and what's best to keep the series improving. I look forward to next season's series.

Matt Guenther (Moto) Northcentral R/C Club
Old 10-23-2007, 07:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I was planning on getting a 1/8th scale next year, but just for club racing. I think people in the pro get a bit too competative in 8th scale so I would prefer to race my MT in the pro instead. I might change my mind depending on how I like the 1/8th scale I buy well see.

Like the others said though dropping 1/10th and MT you would lose alot of people, especially the newer people.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Vigilante212
Like the others said though dropping 1/10th and MT you would lose alot of people, especially the newer people.
In my opinion I would not suggest a new racer get into either Monster Truck OR 10th Scale for their first race vehicle. If you were talking about all around bashers or similar, then fine, whatever floats your boat. I am guilty myself of getting into Monster Truck class as my first hobby level rc. I thought it looked a little slower and easier to handle. In reality, I found that many monster trucks are HARDER to drive than an 8th scale buggy. Five years ago however the buggy class seemed pretty expensive to get into. Now you can get into more than a couple RTR 8th Scale Buggies for $300 ( Less than a Tmaxx or similar ). I think most of you will agree also that 8th Scale Buggies are EASIER to drive than a lot of other vehicles...and they hold up well to alot of crashes that other vehicles seem to fall victim to.

I'm going to get criticized here, just hear me out. Don't get me wrong, I think M/T's are fun to drive and I think the same thing about 10th Scalers. I agree that you have to give these 10th Scalers a LOT of credit for being able to wheel around the track proficiently. I am NOT a good driver in the Buggy class, and I am NOT a good driver in any other class. I just think that new drivers can spend about the same amount of money for an 8th Scale vehicle and have a more productive, and enjoyable time, ON AVERAGE.

I look at it this way, in my opinion, the money we ( my dad and I ) spent on Monster Trucks for the first two years of our hobby was sort of a waste. They were fun, and Monster Trucks are easy to relate to. But when I actually look at the money spent on repairs for the M/T, and the money spent on repairs for the Buggy...it's no contest...our buggies have held up WAAAAY better. With M/T, we were quite frequently discouraged by the way the trucks were holding up...especially box stock. Now once we upgraded areas here and there, they held up a little better, and once our skills progressed, they held up a little better. But for a box stock newbie out on the track, I think the money is better spent on an 8th Scale Buggy.

I think that if you take 10 newbies and put them into M/T's and you take another 10 newbies and put them into Buggies, I would predict that a larger percentage of Buggy drivers will stay motivated longer, as opposed to M/T drivers.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:54 PM
Tech Addict

Smile

Originally Posted by mfanke19
In my opinion I would not suggest a new racer get into either Monster Truck OR 10th Scale for their first race vehicle. If you were talking about all around bashers or similar, then fine, whatever floats your boat. I am guilty myself of getting into Monster Truck class as my first hobby level rc. I thought it looked a little slower and easier to handle. In reality, I found that many monster trucks are HARDER to drive than an 8th scale buggy. Five years ago however the buggy class seemed pretty expensive to get into. Now you can get into more than a couple RTR 8th Scale Buggies for $300 ( Less than a Tmaxx or similar ). I think most of you will agree also that 8th Scale Buggies are EASIER to drive than a lot of other vehicles...and they hold up well to alot of crashes that other vehicles seem to fall victim to.

I'm going to get criticized here, just hear me out. Don't get me wrong, I think M/T's are fun to drive and I think the same thing about 10th Scalers. I agree that you have to give these 10th Scalers a LOT of credit for being able to wheel around the track proficiently. I am NOT a good driver in the Buggy class, and I am NOT a good driver in any other class. I just think that new drivers can spend about the same amount of money for an 8th Scale vehicle and have a more productive, and enjoyable time, ON AVERAGE.

I look at it this way, in my opinion, the money we ( my dad and I ) spent on Monster Trucks for the first two years of our hobby was sort of a waste. They were fun, and Monster Trucks are easy to relate to. But when I actually look at the money spent on repairs for the M/T, and the money spent on repairs for the Buggy...it's no contest...our buggies have held up WAAAAY better. With M/T, we were quite frequently discouraged by the way the trucks were holding up...especially box stock. Now once we upgraded areas here and there, they held up a little better, and once our skills progressed, they held up a little better. But for a box stock newbie out on the track, I think the money is better spent on an 8th Scale Buggy.

I think that if you take 10 newbies and put them into M/T's and you take another 10 newbies and put them into Buggies, I would predict that a larger percentage of Buggy drivers will stay motivated longer, as opposed to M/T drivers.

I wouldn't tell a newbie to get an M/T either if they want to race. Tires cost a little more and you have to drop the right height on them anyway, and they don't get as good of a lap time as an 1/8 scale. Plus I like my 1/10 scale truck, you learn how to drive in a hurry with one of those, especially on a slicker track. The thing with a RTR 1/8 scale buggy at least from my experience is, much of the servo equipment is inadequate to steer something that powerful and big around the track effectively. Maybe it has changed since I last raced a couple of years ago. With a good 1/10 scale ready to run you can get by on at least a stock throttle servo. Plus the there seems to be more frequent technology turnover in 1/8 scale than 1/10. Saying that, I surely wouldn't mind getting a 1/8 scale they seem like a blast.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

I agree with Matt. I had a Revo as my first nitro vehicle and that thing broke all the time. I rarely finished a race. I feel I wasted my first year racing by running that thing. The cost of an RTR Losi 8, an Ace DS1015 steering servo, and a set of Crimefighters is much less than I spent on that Revo trying to get it race ready.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:00 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by satoch
I agree with Matt. I had a Revo as my first nitro vehicle and that thing broke all the time. I rarely finished a race. I feel I wasted my first year racing by running that thing. The cost of an RTR Losi 8, an Ace DS1015 steering servo, and a set of Crimefighters is much less than I spent on that Revo trying to get it race ready.
But yet you want an Axial only class? Talking crap about a Revo, but has love for Axial!
Old 10-25-2007, 11:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by skrivitz
But yet you want an Axial only class? Talking crap about a Revo, but has love for Axial!
Love would be a stretch. I like the concept of the vehicle. It's a truggy/buggy with a body that covers the wheels so newbies don't flip over as often when running into each other. I'm sure even an Axial is far more durable than any Revo.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:56 PM
Tech Regular

The idea of having a class like that is good, but that is what both sportsman classes are for. We are currently running all the same classes as every other series in the nation, and it seems to be working everywhere else, so lets stick with what we've got!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.