Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Wisconsin & Illinois Racing
Wisconsin/Ill Tracks.... Rubber tires? >

Wisconsin/Ill Tracks.... Rubber tires?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wisconsin/Ill Tracks.... Rubber tires?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 11:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Wisconsin/Ill Tracks.... Rubber tires?

Just looking for some opinions here.

With most of the area tracks running a AllStar series race this season I think it would be in the racers best interests for all these tracks to agree on ONE track premount tire.

I am afraid the tire situation is going back to the bad old (expensive) days

When the CS27 came out and most tracks adopted it as their track tire and rubber racing became a lot more fun... and cheaper.

I am NOT promoting the CS27 as the "track tire"... I don't care if its CS, RP, Sorex, Jaco whatever... just so its the same at all /most tracks in the area.
I am afraid I might have to buy CS27's for HTO, Jaco for Trackside and RP for the series races.

Also no two brands of tires perform the same... one is always better or faster or longer lasting depending on the track surface and conditions thus forcing one to have all the allowed tires.... increasing costs.

What do you guys think?
Old 07-08-2007, 02:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Ottoman two words Parma 53's.

Forget rubber and put the foams back on.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:40 PM
Tech Elite

In our case it would be "BSR 53's"
Kenny said they should be out in time for Vegas
Old 07-08-2007, 06:53 PM
Tech Master

Good point!!
Old 07-08-2007, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Well, I have some new tires still in packages that I plan to run. If they are not the legal tires of the track then I guess I will burn them up in the street. I can't see buying new tires to race at one track and then having to buy another set to race at another track.

Tracks owners will do what they think is best for themselves to stay in business.

Now if I could just get some time to come out and race I would be happy.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Ottoman……Here is what our thought process was when we decided to go with RP30’s as well as CS27’s for the series. We were all set to go with CS27’s again but as some people saw at the Rubber Tire nats the 27’s had become inconsistent. Now the tires that are now for sale and the latest batches from Takeoff are not very good on carpet. They have only about 2 to 3 good runs then they start to fall off. The old 27’s fell off but never to the extent that they are now. So we tired RP30’s to see how they would hold up….RP30’s are also made by Take Off. The RP30’s to our surprise seem to stay the same speed if not get better the more you run them. I had a set of tires that had 30+ runs on them and were still turning out quick lap times. When I put a new set of 30’s on my fast lap didn’t change. So we decided it would be in the best interest of the racer to allow these tires as well as we are now seeing they are lasting longer then 27’s but at the same time we didn’t want to exclude anyone who still had 27’s and wanted to run them. In back to back testing the 30’s and 27’s would yield the same over all fast lap time just that the 30’s are lasting longer at that pace.

Some info as to why the tires have changed…..there is a chemical that is used when they manufacture the tires overseas and what ever this chemical is they can no longer use it. So as a result ALL foreign made tires….IE Tamiya, Takeoff, Sorex, Ride, Pit and so on have all had to re-do their tires to find a way to get the tires to work now with out this chemical in them. Over the last year this has caused many problems with rubber tires and many of the tires that were once favorites have now fallen out of favor do to poor handling. At the Reedy race this year the RP30’s that were used at the race are were ones that did not have this chemical in them and as a result they really sucked on asphalt…..but on the flip side they are really working well on carpet. When I ran 30’s last year to get ready for vegas I couldn’t get more then 3 runs out of them until they fell off and they were faster then 27’s…..now this doesn’t seem to be the case so that’s why we went with allowing RP30’s in the series as well.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:21 AM
Tech Elite

Kevin
I wasn't really talking about the series... except as the reason we will race at all these tracks.

My point was, I believe racing would be better and cheaper if all the tracks in the area had the same "track" tire.

Remember how it was before we all went foam? I had Yokomo. Pits and Sorex tires.. in various compounds with differnt inserts and rim types. That really sucked and made foam seem so nice... remember..."all you need are plaid and purple" Now foam is crazy and rubber seems better... well only if there is only one tire choice

Tires are probably my biggest cost during the season and anything to keep costs down will help racing.

It would be nice if these tracks could agree each summer on a tire for the upcoming indoor season and let us all know before we hit the tracks

Last edited by ottoman; 07-09-2007 at 10:34 AM.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I understand exactly what you are saying.....the whole reason I went to foam tires way back when was to get out of the rubber tire game.....now with the foam tire game just as nasty as rubber tire was Im back to rubber tires. Im really shocked at how the RP30's are working....I have never raced with a rubber tire like this in the past.

With the way the tires are right now people are not going to like CS27's when they go to buy new ones.....RP30's are working better just like the old CS27's were. But at the same token you cant force people out of 27's if they still have old ones. There isnt an easy way to a solution....then you throw in the pending Jaco tire that I would think that Trackside would be going with, with the amount of Support Jaco and SMC give the IIC and the Novak race it points in that direction.....its hard to say whats the right call. Thats why us with the series went with both the 27's and the 30's so peole who still have 27's and use them up and people that see how good the 30's are can run them. Next winter we might all be on Jaco tires if that tire is even better yet but we wont know until they are out and run for a month or so. Right now the best tire IMHO is the RP30 it provides you with the best life and performance....longer then I have ever experienced with any other rubber tire in the past.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:51 PM
Tech Elite

I am going to have to get a set of RP's to try... sounds like the best tire at the moment.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:01 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ottoman
Tires are probably my biggest cost during the season and anything to keep costs down will help racing.
Wouldn't gasoline to get back and forth, meals for that day, and the actual track race fees be more expensive than tires?

I think you are an "A-Main" kind of racer, but how many tires do you go through in a day of racing to stay at the top of the heap?
Old 07-09-2007, 09:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ottoman
I am going to have to get a set of RP's to try... sounds like the best tire at the moment.
Want to pick me up a couple of sets also? Just send them over and I'll test them out for you. Don't think they work to good in the dirt anyways.