Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trackside

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 09:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

As a future F-103 guy, I would welcome a designated tire cleaning, dremeling and trueing area.

Dave, Are you tired of washing the floor only to have it all caked with crap in a week or two?
Old 12-14-2008, 09:45 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by minidriver
Tire cleaning area question for any mechanics out there.

I've seen/heard of "parts washers" at places like Northern Tool or Harbor Freight. I don't know their capabilities - could they be a possibility for a tire washer???
No, you cannot get the insert wet inside of an off road tire. The tried and true method of washing tires is tupperware with brush attached to the bottom of it.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BuckMan
No, you cannot get the insert wet inside of an off road tire. The tried and true method of washing tires is tupperware with brush attached to the bottom of it.
If you keep the Hot Pockets and Diet Pepsi coming, I'll wash tires for everybody........NOT!!
Old 12-15-2008, 05:30 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Anyone interested in racing Mini's this Tuesday night? I am going to be in town and will be able to race this Tuesday "WoHo"

Dave how about you and Nathan?

Matt and I will have our Mini's at the track this Tuesday hopefully we can get enought to run a heat.

Let's plan on running silver cans any battery you want for right now.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 414MPH
As a future F-103 guy, I would welcome a designated tire cleaning, dremeling and trueing area.

Dave, Are you tired of washing the floor only to have it all caked with crap in a week or two?
Well, I will say this - it is pretty amazing when you run the "Zamboni" down the isle to reveal that there really is a painted floor underneath. The clean strip with dirty strips on each side it leaves in the first pass had Nathan say "Holy crap!" It does give you a sense of satisfaction when you're done that you did accomplish something! But things were kinda extra-ordinary this time given last week's big dirt race.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Ceiling might be a little low but you could always just move the dirt over onto the carpet track and use the back room as a tire cleaning room
Old 12-15-2008, 07:53 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by McDonough
Ceiling might be a little low but you could always just move the dirt over onto the carpet track and use the back room as a tire cleaning room
We can dream...
Old 12-15-2008, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Yeah, the ceiling is to low and it would take too long for the marshall's to get the vehicles out of the beams.

I think all that is needed is a bench with three walls around it and call it the tire area. It does need to be near an outlet though for the tire truers and corded dremels. Then you can take a shop vac to it at the end of the day or just sweep the mess into a pile and then into a garbage can.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kraig
Yeah, the ceiling is to low and it would take too long for the marshall's to get the vehicles out of the beams.

I think all that is needed is a bench with three walls around it and call it the tire area. It does need to be near an outlet though for the tire truers and corded dremels. Then you can take a shop vac to it at the end of the day or just sweep the mess into a pile and then into a garbage can.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Awwww....soooo pretty!

http://www.redrc.net/2008/12/due-bro...-in-wisconsin/
Old 12-15-2008, 02:34 PM
Tech Master

Well, I will say this - it is pretty amazing when you run the "Zamboni" down the isle to reveal that there really is a painted floor underneath. The clean strip with dirty strips on each side it leaves in the first pass had Nathan say "Holy crap!" It does give you a sense of satisfaction when you're done that you did accomplish something! But things were kinda extra-ordinary this time given last week's big dirt race.

Well....there were 170 entries and also a snowfall on Friday night that probablly had something to do with how dirty the pits were....

Non-the-less, thanks for coming in and doing the Zamboni thing, and also, a big thanks to all the guys that hung around after a tiring weekend of racing to help clean up.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Tire cleaning area question for any mechanics out there.

I've seen/heard of "parts washers" at places like Northern Tool or Harbor Freight. I don't know their capabilities - could they be a possibility for a tire washer???
Yes, most of those can be turned into "Aqueous" (sp) cleaners and used with a water based cleaner. The types I have used in the industrial applications also have an in-tank heater to warm the water up once the pump is turned on as well as a basket strainer under the main drain.

One thing you might want to do as well if you go this route is to put a garbage bag in the basin or barrel first before filling, that way when it comes time to empty the "sludge" you pump out the water/soap mix and then pull the bag out with the "gunk" and throw it away.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Took a week off last week lots of things going on at home, but can't wait to run the Slash again. I see Doug Hay won last week...........
Old 12-15-2008, 07:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matt Sunderlage
Took a week off last week lots of things going on at home, but can't wait to run the Slash again. I see Doug Hay won last week...........
yeah and i had my truck there and everything so we could run truck...but u didnt show...
Old 12-15-2008, 07:35 PM
Tech Master

I am back and getting my slash this week! Cant wait to trade some paint and rub some fenders.

I have to see if the painter is in to get scotty some custome Red and Yellow.

Looking forward to learning how to race again.

See you guys Thursday.

Scotty

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.