Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Wisconsin & Illinois Racing
Spring/Summer Onroad Electric at Leisure Raceway... >

Spring/Summer Onroad Electric at Leisure Raceway...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spring/Summer Onroad Electric at Leisure Raceway...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 12:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default Spring/Summer Onroad Electric at Leisure Raceway...

I realize it's still indoor season and friggin 1deg out but thought I would pose this to everyone in the area.

--

Those of us who raced at Walt's old Chicagoland Raceway in Tinley Park, IL always had a blast. It was Open Modified so you could run whatever you wanted....brushed, brushless, rubber tire, foam tire, ect...

Most of us if not all ran Mod motors with Foam tires. Hell just about any foam tire worked.....indoor foams, nitro foams, ect. And for setups just about anything worked as well. This made for a fun day since you didn't have to tweak/adjust your car. We all just charged our batteries and went at it.

I can honestly say racing at Tinley was probably some of the most fun I have had racing. Would people be interested in heading out to Leisure Raceways new outdoor track this coming Spring/Summer to basically do the same thing?

I ran this track at the end of the summer last year with my Mi2EC, Novak 4.5, and Nitro Foams. All I can say was it's a blast. The track is super smooth.

Who would be in?

Come on!

Hightlights from that Open Mod racing...

Where else could you watch Kitt and Rutt beat down Jucha in a rain race!! This A Main had everyone laughing out of their minds.

Euge and I running the whole race nose to tail and finishing just 0.001 apart or something crazy like that!

Jimmy's sunburn :P

Rookie Solara just racing electric in general LOL

The guy who ran a Tamiya TT01 or something with a Ferrarri body that was in everyones way! :P

Passing nitro cars like it's nothing in practice!
Old 01-31-2007, 01:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 161 (100%+)

My biggest concern with Leisure is track prep, or the glaring lack thereof. We were there a few times on practice days after they opened the outdoor track last fall, the track was prepped once. No idea if they take better (or any?) care of it on raceday, if they do I'd consider coming out on a regular basis. if they don't, well.. you all know what a(n electric) car run on a dirty track next to an offroad track looks like after a run or two and how much more wear and tear that adds to everything (even after blowing the car with a compressor after each run.)
Old 01-31-2007, 04:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Good topic Nexus! I've thought about this myself. Was hoping people would want to run electric on-road at Leisure Hours this summer. I hope there is a crowd cause I would like to run some mod sedan on a big track. Not a fan of the foam thing, but I'd be okay with it. And if it was 'open' mod, you could run any tires you want, to satisfy the rubber people. And a stock or 19turn class for those who are interested (hopefully wouldn't dilute the classes much). As LasagnaCat mentioned, I'm curious how it will work with on and off-road the same days if they do it, but would be willing to give it a try. Have to make sure to promote this to get the people to the track!
Old 01-31-2007, 04:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (93%+)

Nexus i am down.... But i want open mod rubber

Especialy since the crew in which you use to roll with will all be running rubber tire except for big events. Starting after carpet nats in march

Rubber tire will be making a big comeback
Old 01-31-2007, 04:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wallstreet
Nexus i am down.... But i want open mod rubber

Especialy since the crew in which you use to roll with will all be running rubber tire except for big events. Starting after carpet nats in march

Rubber tire will be making a big comeback
Good to see people have seen the light!

Old 01-31-2007, 07:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I forgot that they run the offroad track and the onroad track at the same time. I dont know how close they are together, but I hope the dirt doesn't blow over to the onroad track. Does anyone know if the two tracks are right next to each other? or at least separated by the building or something?

I'd be down for mod foam or rubber, but having run both, it was much cheaper to throw on some nitro foams and be done with it. I left them big (about same diameter as rubber tires) and it was good.

As far as indoor racing goes, though....yeah, I think I'll be doing rubber instead of foam too.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Yeah if both tracks are used at the same time I think I would be more inclined to go to Kenosha and play around in the AC then deal with a dirty dusty onroad track....and not be in the heat too. If they had seperate days then I would think about it more.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

I have no idea what the schedule will be like this coming outdoor season.

The offroad and onroad tracks are separated by the drivers stand. There's decent distance between them. The days I went to race the dust blowing was not an issue. Traction was pretty good...I ran foam and rubber tires that day just to try it out. The only car faster then my Mi2/Novak 4.5 was Ira's super fast nitro TC.

Also at Leisure most guys if not all were pitting indoors all summer. They don't really have the outdoor setup to run tent city :P

--

Open TC....runnage what you brungage!

--

True rubber tire racing is more "real" and the standard but it's not like anyone around here really goes to big outdoor nationals or is getting ready for one. Walts version of running an Open class worked well and never turned anyone way. I ran rubber tires a bunch of times vs. the foam guys and still had a blast. A good rubber mod car will have no problem running vs. the foam mod outdoors.

My thing is cost too. I think I could run the nitro foams forever outside. Rubber tires were nice but if they heated too much and kept being used they would peel/rip off the rim...

Rookie post the Kevin Kane blowout from IRP! LOL :P That was awesome 3 wheeliing!

Hell better yet someone fire up the old Oak Park Hobby Town track!!