Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Micro racing at Duneland Hobbies

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 07:18 AM
Tech Elite

Default Micro racing at Duneland Hobbies

Duneland Hobbies is located in Portage IN (northwest corner of state).
Track is 34' X 19' and slated to be a bit longer within the next couple of weeks. Surface is canvas glued down to the cement floor. It is coated with deck sealer (to seal the fibers together). Traction is very good, tire wear is low. We will race any class 1/14 scale or smaller. Anything larger is just silly on this size track (I have run my 1/8 scale Serpent on the track, it's a good place to work on steering! I figure, if you can make a 960 steer on this track, it should turn pretty good on a big chunk of asphalt!)
Popular classes are ; 1/18 sedan super stock (5 cell/venom fireball), 1/18 on-road open class(No motor/battery restrictions), we put the jumps out and run 1/18 buggies w no restrictions on motor/batt. Have a stadium truck class too. 2 or more of anything else is ok.
Right now it is Sat. nights at 6:30. Thinking of adding Sunday untill some of these proposed tracks open up.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:04 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Sounds good, count me in for next weekend. I will talk to Tommy and Dick Squirt about coming out to!!
Old 10-30-2006, 08:30 PM
Tech Elite

Chris, you guys missed a good time! Track was fast and seriously hooked up!
We will be racing next sat. night. Adding Sunday to next weeks schedule--Start time for Sunday will be 1:00.
We will not be racing on every Sunday. It will be every other Sunday, starting with next week. Sat. night is still a weekly deal.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:06 AM
Tech Elite

Default BRP?

How would one of Bud's cars do on your track during a race? Would it have a serious advantage over the 4WD drive 1/18th scale cars?
Old 10-31-2006, 11:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chicagokenji
How would one of Bud's cars do on your track during a race? Would it have a serious advantage over the 4WD drive 1/18th scale cars?
I am not sure there are any advnatage of those 2WD Bud's car.......I raced them like 2-3 years ago when i was using a Epic's HPI RS4 Micro...they are not any faster.

However, Bud's Lola body................that is the advantage.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:12 PM
Tech Elite

Default this too

just got an email from Team Associated.....here's another 1/18th due out in December:

http://www.rc10.com/shusting/Catalog...18r/kit18r.htm

although I doubt it would keep up with anyone running RS4's and mini xrays
Old 11-01-2006, 08:10 AM
Tech Elite

I saw those asc cars crop up in the listings at Horizon & great planes. I put a couple on order, but didn't see them untill your post... Looks kinda like rally versions of the 18t/b. Don't think they will be any threat to the xray.
As far as the BRP goes... Before the Xray was introduced, I ran one against the Mrs4's (I had one of those to, but gave it away). I felt the BRP was far superior to the mrs4 (on the surface we had at the time). I haven't run the brp since the Xray came out & have not had it on the canvas surface we race on now. I have mine out of moth balls now & am installing the V2 conversion kit. I will be testing it soon, but don't expect it to be any faster than my Xray. In 1/10 scale, the (now defunct) gtp pan cars were MUCH faster than the tcs'. They had a tremendous advantage in rear tire width, lower CG, down force, & overall width. When compairing a BRP to a Xray m18, you don't see those same advantages. Sure, it is direct drive, but we have no problems in speed or run time, so I don't see that as an issue.
On Ozite, there may be some advantage with the BRP. I have been working on my set-up for my M18, to improve it's corner speed on carpet.... We will see, in the near future, if one is better than the other.
Since they are very different types of cars, I would run them in my open class, but probably not in the Super stock class. The 2 chassis were designed for different motor/battery set-ups, so it would be hard to come up with a formula to make them run together except in 'open' class.
I do expect the new Robotronics Scalpel to outperform everything else in 1/18! It looks incredibly fast sitting still!
I am 'tweeking' our schedule a little bit. We will continue to race weekly on Sat. nights with a 6:30 pm start time. I am adding every other Sunday to the schedule, starting this Sunday. The following Sunday, I will be closed & a bunch of us are going to car pool & head up to Kalamazoo! The track is actually in Portage, MI ( but more people are familiar with Kalamazoo). It is a 80 X 40 Ozite track. They run 1/10 & 1/12 too. Some of us did this at the end of last season, and had a ball. The track is large for 1/18 but not enough to make them feel out of place. If any of you guys are interested, let me know. We may make simmilar treks to other tracks, on 'off' Sundays.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:13 AM
Tech Elite

I just scrolled up and saw that I had allready posted the Sunday thing... It's hell getting old.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:50 AM
Tech Elite

Our next race day is this Sat. 11/11! Start time is 6:30pm.
We are planning a 'field trip' to Portage MI on Sunday 11/12! Anyone interested can meet at Duneland Hobbies to car pool.
Some of us went at the end of last season, to run micros on their 78' X 40' Ozite track. It was a lot of fun! They normally run 1/10 tc and 1/12 pan.
They were amazed by the performance of the little guys. Let me know if any of you 'Illinois' guys want to join us! You can call me at the store---219-763-1610.