Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Wisconsin & Illinois Racing
Mchenry County / Township - Starting "RC Club" >

Mchenry County / Township - Starting "RC Club"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree6Likes

Mchenry County / Township - Starting "RC Club"

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2023, 09:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Arrow Mchenry County / Township - Starting "RC Club"

Hi all! I am a trustee for McHenry Township in Illinois. I am also a hobbyist and have been passionate about RCs my ENTIRE life.

I have been looking for ways to get more involved in the hobby, as I've always enjoyed introducing noobs. I have begun the process to form a club with the goal of raising funds next year for the township proper to build a legit outdoor dirt / clay racetrack with driver stands. I was trying to accomplish this task this year but was unable to raise funds. So, I am looking to pivot. Our Township has a 58 x 58' town-hall building where I believe I can use the space once or twice a month. We could then form the club and do indoor racing throughout the winter. For the Indoor spectacle, I have been able to get donations from two large organizations (not to be named yet) and out of my own pocket; 4 x RB10 RTR buggies brand new, 10 x Lipo batteries, Protek quad charger and a few pit mats. I am looking to see if anyone locally whose on these forums may be interested in working with me / becoming part of the club. I had initially planned on a 24 x 40' track, and planned to run stock buggy, stock slash, 1/16 and 1/18 stuff. Last night I took one of the RB10's into the building and that size would have been too small, so now I am going to pivot to a minimum of either 32 x 50' or 36 x 50' -the carpet needs to be able to be rolled up and put away in one of the storage closets so not sure if 8' or 12' rolls will fit better yet, I'll be measuring this weekend. I now am thinking we can just use two of the corner walls as the back and side of the track which will save on materials for the border system, which will then only be needed on two sides plus the layout itself. You can get a cool 3d view of the space at the link below, ignore the event lol. This is why the track must be able to be picked up, as we rent the township hall out for events etc.

McHenry Township Hall 360 View

At the moment, what I am struggling with is obtaining carpet / track materials and I didn't necessarily want to announce this wide scale until I knew if I could secure those materials, but need to see if anyone would even be interested (and if anyone have a connection for some inexpensive carpet). Anyone interested?

Old 09-15-2023, 10:16 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The carpet used for the indoor championships in Cleveland gets sold right after. That would be November. I know the track that bought last year carpet from that event.

They’re a turf track club In Arlington Heights. Would not work if planned to run on road. But for off road it works. They roll out and roll up the turf for their races. I’m sure it’s less then the CRC black carpet
Old 09-15-2023, 10:26 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
The carpet used for the indoor championships in Cleveland gets sold right after. That would be November. I know the track that bought last year carpet from that event.

They’re a turf track club In Arlington Heights. Would not work if planned to run on road. But for off road it works. They roll out and roll up the turf for their races. I’m sure it’s less then the CRC black carpet
That's great to know. You happen to have a name? Or if you know someone at the Arlington Heights spot, any chance you could get me some info? Where is this club track in Arlington?
Old 09-15-2023, 10:43 AM
Tech Prophet

Parkside. Tim Juskie is the operator. He hood races in his business parking lot during summer. And inside the body shop during winter. It’s not far from the horse track.
Old 09-15-2023, 11:00 AM
Tech Master

Parkside. Tim Juskie is the operator. He hood races in his business parking lot during summer. And inside the body shop during winter. It’s not far from the horse track.

Thanks for the info!!! This is great info, the turf would be amazing for our indoor track. Perhaps I'll have to reach out and see if we can acquire it
Old 09-15-2023, 11:06 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by shaveradam
Thanks for the info!!! This is great info, the turf would be amazing for our indoor track. Perhaps I'll have to reach out and see if we can acquire it
Tim would tell you what he uses and where to get it. FB is probably the best way to contact him.

The 23rd should be there next race
Old 09-15-2023, 12:06 PM
Tech Master

Fyi, I reached out to Tim and he said he buys his Turf from Menards. Not sure who you may have been thinking of but doesn't seem like this gentleman got it from the Cleveland event.
Old 09-15-2023, 12:08 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by shaveradam
Fyi, I reached out to Tim and he said he buys his Turf from Menards. Not sure who you may have been thinking of but doesn't seem like this gentleman got it from the Cleveland event.
That’s a different track. LowerLevel in South Bend. They bought the Cleveland track last year.

The jumps from Cleveland went to Pro Source in Indianapolis
Old 09-19-2023, 10:31 AM
Tech Master

That’s a different track. LowerLevel in South Bend. They bought the Cleveland track last year.

The jumps from Cleveland went to Pro Source in Indianapolis
Gotcha. I just ended up buying out of pocket 3 rolls of 12 x 50 green turf like carpet. It should be fine for our temporary track Hope you can make it out if you're in the area!
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 09-26-2023, 10:30 AM
Tech Rookie

Default 1/28 scale on road/Mini-Z sounds like a fit

Hi,

I would think 1/28 scale on-road racing (Mini-Z or 1/28 equivalent) would be prefect for your venue. The rubber type tracks appear to be very easy to store and set up. I'm currently living out of the area, but will be moving back to the McHenry County area in the near future. Happy to help out then.

Source of 1/28 track "RCP Tracks".

Regards,
Bob
Old 10-03-2023, 06:48 AM
Tech Rookie

I'm just getting back into rc after many years. I would be interested in some indoor racing. Let me know if you guys have any events set up and if you need any help.
Old 10-03-2023, 01:55 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Senc2bar
I'm just getting back into rc after many years. I would be interested in some indoor racing. Let me know if you guys have any events set up and if you need any help.
Where are you located? We do have an event set up, was going to post about it today

40mphallday and Billy Kelly like this.
Old 10-03-2023, 04:04 PM
Tech Rookie

I'm in Elgin. Currently have a xx4 and a xxt both with the wrong motor size. I'll have to change one of them.
Old 10-04-2023, 07:51 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Senc2bar
I'm in Elgin. Currently have a xx4 and a xxt both with the wrong motor size. I'll have to change one of them.
Gotcha. Technically we were intending to keep this to mchenry county residents for the first go around, since we don't know what turnout will be like, but just let me know it's you from the forum and you're good
Old 10-18-2023, 11:25 AM
Tech Master

Here's what the track layout looks like for this weekend's event.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.