R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Wisconsin & Illinois Racing

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mschumi101
  • 1 Post By MD

Old 11-14-2017, 06:52 AM   #1
MD
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)
Default Shipping Carpet - Hadley JH RC Club

PROBLEM SOLVED. Thanks for all of the input.

The Hadley J.H. RC Club purchased two rolls of carpet from Calandra this past summer. We unroll and roll up our carpet at each race. It cannot be permanently mounted.When we unrolled the carpet it was stretched sections. There are sections that you cannot be straightened. The cardboard tube on one was deformed. The other roll has stretched areas. That cardboard tube was bent. This was caused by the manufacturer. After an exchange of emails and phone calls Mr. Calandra solution is to have us ship it back, at our cost, and he will refund the money. We paid $400 for shipping to us, but to get our money back Mr. Calandra will not pay the shipping. We have been very surprised and disappointed. Most companies would have replaced the carpet or paid the shipping. Be very careful when you are purchasing carpet. The students worked selling raffle tickets to raise the money for this carpet last year. We don't have a lot of money. We don't receive an annual budget.

We need to find a company that will ship the carpet from Glen Ellyn to Rome, NY, at a reasonable price. Thanks. I apologize for including this post on a racing forum.

Shipping Carpet - Hadley JH RC Club-img_3608.jpg

Last edited by MD; 11-19-2017 at 10:36 PM.
MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:33 AM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

Work with the shipping company that sent it in the first place. They should have had insurance on it.

File a chargeback with your credit card company.

Have you tried using heat? Cloths iron, etc

If all else fails, cut it into little squares and send it back piece by piece. There's no reason for any manufacture to be a **** about something like this.
whitrzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:57 AM   #3
MD
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitrzac View Post
Work with the shipping company that sent it in the first place. They should have had insurance on it.

File a chargeback with your credit card company.

Have you tried using heat? Cloths iron, etc

If all else fails, cut it into little squares and send it back piece by piece. There's no reason for any manufacture to be a **** about something like this.
Thanks for the advice. We could try ironing, but we are talking about 200 ft. of carpet. But, it might come to that. Besides the fact that we have to ship it back, we have specific instructions how to roll, label it, etc. Asking for their shipper is a good idea.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:27 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 216 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD View Post
Besides the fact that we have to ship it back, we have specific instructions how to roll, label it, etc.
Did they follow these guide lines when they shipped it to you??? Doesn't sound like it!
Andy Koback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:10 PM   #5
MD
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Koback View Post
Did they follow these guide lines when they shipped it to you??? Doesn't sound like it!
I think the shipping was ok. I think the problem came in the manufacturing process. I think the carpet was rolled on to defective cardboard tubes when it was warm and the stretcher areas were permanently pressed into the carpet. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:58 PM   #6
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to Essnowyt

Does CRC know the of the group that this went to? Hadley RC I know is pretty cool. I have not been able to see it myself but I know of the group.

Also, ask your employer if they have a relationship with an LTL carriers. LTL carriers offer discounts/agreements to companies. Could you leverage that relationship to ship the carpet back? We did exactly this when we, the racers, purchased the IIC carpet for The Track in Winthrop Harbor. My wife was able to coordinate the shipping via her employer. They sent a Bill of Lading with third party billing instructions back to her company, to the pick up location and called in the pick up. Four days later the carpet was delivered. We then saw the cost of the freight deducted from her pay. The racers then paid us for the shipping. I think the cost was only about $160 for four rolls. It can be done.

Good Luck,

Snowy.

Drive it, Dont slide it!
Essnowyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:32 PM   #7
MD
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essnowyt View Post
Does CRC know the of the group that this went to? Hadley RC I know is pretty cool. I have not been able to see it myself but I know of the group.

Also, ask your employer if they have a relationship with an LTL carriers. LTL carriers offer discounts/agreements to companies. Could you leverage that relationship to ship the carpet back? We did exactly this when we, the racers, purchased the IIC carpet for The Track in Winthrop Harbor. My wife was able to coordinate the shipping via her employer. They sent a Bill of Lading with third party billing instructions back to her company, to the pick up location and called in the pick up. Four days later the carpet was delivered. We then saw the cost of the freight deducted from her pay. The racers then paid us for the shipping. I think the cost was only about $160 for four rolls. It can be done.

Good Luck,

Snowy.

Snowy, thanks a lot for your input. You have some good ideas. Calandra is well aware of our group. I am not employed. I am a retired teacher. I can ask someone at the school district if they have a relationship with an LTL carrier. If your interested you can go to our website, Hadley RC Club. Thanks again. I appreciate your input.
Mike
Old 11-14-2017, 08:44 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

That's unfortunate to hear Mr Dorich. I hope the club can get it all sorted out without it affecting the racing.

As for shipping, maybe try to list it on uship.com . I've never used the site, but I believe you can list unusual items you need shipped, and carriers will bid on shipping them. Might be an alternative to get a better deal than a flat rate from a larger carrier. If you haven't tried there already.

Hopefully I can find some time in my class schedule to make it back to a couple Hadley races in December or January. Good luck in the meantime
-Ted B
WASPEEDRACER48 likes this.
-Ted
mschumi101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:21 PM   #9
MD
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschumi101 View Post
That's unfortunate to hear Mr Dorich. I hope the club can get it all sorted out without it affecting the racing.

As for shipping, maybe try to list it on uship.com . I've never used the site, but I believe you can list unusual items you need shipped, and carriers will bid on shipping them. Might be an alternative to get a better deal than a flat rate from a larger carrier. If you haven't tried there already.

Hopefully I can find some time in my class schedule to make it back to a couple Hadley races in December or January. Good luck in the meantime
-Ted B
Thanks for the information. Ted. It's good to hear from you. I hope to see you at our races.
WASPEEDRACER48 likes this.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:38 AM   #10
Tech Master

Wasn't Uship.com featured on the TV show 'Shipping Wars"? On that show the shippers would bid on each job and the least expensive bid wins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschumi101 View Post

-Ted B
Old 11-15-2017, 09:42 AM   #11
MD
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlandr91 View Post
Wasn't Uship.com featured on the TV show 'Shipping Wars"? On that show the shippers would bid on each job and the least expensive bid wins.
Thanks, I'll check it out. I appreciate all the help people are giving us.