Looking for a partner!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looking for a partner!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 04:19 PM
Tech Elite

Dreamweaver is ok, but it doesn't always take into consideration the fact that there's more than just IE out there....

Doing an ecommerce site is a heck of a lot more complicated than using a WSYWYG editor and throwing together some pictures...

If you're on a windows server you need to know asp and unix; php....

Ftp'ing the files up is nice, but you have no control of them that way... Nor do you have control over the site....

I was doing a site for my wife's CFO's son as a cheap favor... Was charging him under 2k for a 170 page site, with a shopping cart... Needless to say the guy wanted it put on his FRIENDS server... First flag goes up.... I ended up pulling the site down the day before it was supposed to go up.... He wasn't happy that it took me a whole 8 weeks to do his site... He stopped answering my emails and I pulled MY work down... He got himself a wyswyg editor and put up a site, it was up for like 2 weeks and never to be seen again.... He was trying to compete with all these online printers and his prices were almost double.... he also insisted that his friend got a similiar one done for like 1k.... I laughed.... I computed my time I put into it at the going rate and I could have charged him upwards of 15k.... Don't matter, I have a template and coding done that I may sell someone else some day....

Anyway....

You can't throw a site up overnight.... Maybe your "about me" pages to send your friends and family.... If you add a shopping cart into the mix you may as well double the time it's going to take....
Old 01-18-2005, 06:25 PM

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

well i dont know how to do that i just took a class in high school and liked it. i dont really know how to do all that really really complicated stuff. i was just thinking like a page with some links and some news updates and like some llinks to like pictures and then like a contact page if you want to buy somthing and you can call and find out more. if you want it where you can go online and buy stuff i have know idea how to do that!

what kind of site are you looking for Team Entity?

oh and pheyhoe or sombody else how do you get like website templates? is that somthing you make or buy and then fill in the spaces??
Old 01-18-2005, 06:59 PM
Tech Elite

You can make them or use whatever the editor you buy has.... The best html editor is Notepad and it's free with windows....
Old 01-18-2005, 07:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Why dont you post somemore info on your products or some pictures?
Old 01-18-2005, 07:05 PM

yea i use notepad. like you said its free!

oh and info on what products?
Old 01-19-2005, 03:47 PM
Tech Master

Well, the company would give you some money, or you get them to buy some hosting....

like i said dreamweaver is good for somebody like you with limited experience in web design.

I use notepad for php as its the simplest easiest one

as far as putting files on the FTP goes, you basically open it up as a folder on your pc and "copy &paste" files in.

index.php is an example of what your main page would be called.

The company you buy your hosting off will tell you all the details you need as far as accessing the FTP, Control panel, and other things such as PHPMyAdmin. all of this is alot clearer once you have actually got your hosting. If a shopping cart is emplied it adds a whole new perspective. you have know know about databases and sql tables and stuff. most of which i mayslef steer clear of...

Most of the more technical sites, commercial sites will not use single pages, they willl use code that gathers information from different files to display what you would call a "page" but it is actually lots of different files put together to make one..

if your just starting, use HTML its the most basic of codes and if you put your mind to it you can get some very good results. Anything can be acheived with pretty much any code type but some may be more complcated, some might be alot faster loading and some might be just a pain in the ass.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:15 PM
Tech Elite

index.php is an example of what your main page would be called.
It would be index.html unless he was intending on adding php scripting to the page.... And even there, if he ends up on a windows server the scripting needs to be done in asp.... Due to the fact that I work on a windows machine, I have a unix server installed and use than when writing php....

There are ways of using php on a windows server... I was doing a site that the guy was on a windows machine but his shopping cart was on a unix... Got real interesting....
Old 01-19-2005, 06:50 PM

i dont like dreamweaver. its for idiots.
im not that stupid. i know alot of html and some java.
but how do you use like web templates?
do you buy them or make them? or what?
Old 01-20-2005, 06:27 AM
Tech Elite

A template is just what it says it is... You can make your own... They come with editors.... It's a generic looking page and you fill in the blanks.... That's it...
Old 01-20-2005, 08:49 AM
Tech Master

well if you do not know how to make a template, or basically, the layout then i think dreamweaver is a pretty good program for you.... you can code in dreamweaver its far better than something like frontpage, that is for idiots :P

theres no point in making things more complicated for yourself, you can get exactly the same results buy using dreamweaver as you would buy fully coding the site in html in somthing like notepad. and its will be alot faster if you are not fluent in HTML

When i was on about index.php i was more talking about the "index" bit more that the PHP bit as i i have gotten into a habbit of ending files with php as that is all i use. sorry
Old 01-20-2005, 09:31 AM
Tech Elite

When i was on about index.php i was more talking about the "index" bit more that the PHP bit as i i have gotten into a habbit of ending files with php as that is all i use. sorry
I gather everything you're doing in on a Unix machine.... If it becomes a bad habit and you now have to do something on a Windows machine you're going to run into problems.... Unless you're scripting something and you need to use queries there is no reason to use .php.... There are also some instances where index.html(php,asp) won't work and the page needs to be titled default.html.....

Dreamweaver does what it's supposed to do.... I've never used frontpage so I can't comment on it... I do know that dreamweaver's code is extremely sloppy and it needs to be cleaned up by hand....

I do all my mockups in Photshop before I ever write a line of html..... My photoshop files could be pretty much used as web pages in the state they are with a little javascript and cutting....
Old 01-20-2005, 09:42 AM
Tech Master

The site i currently have is not made by me, but i do alot of editing php files...

as far as i am aware its on a windows machine.

Anything on my server called "index" becomes the initial homepage..

The php is easiest for using mysql and member systems etc.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:18 AM
Tech Elite

if it's mysql it's unix....
Old 01-21-2005, 11:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

First of all lets keep on the subject at hand. Secondly e-com isn't that hard. Many people are using the regular paypal shopping cart. The price compared to regular e-com is alot better. Paypal is alot more convient that traditional e-com. How well you can design something is almost nothing. If the website loads like crap then no one will stay. A good website layout done in html with nice graphics will be fine. Their is not always a need for php, asp and so on. Mcmoney's website look nice, the motorcycle one is better. The only problem I see with that is the loud music. Dirt freak's website looks pretty good also. I see some points on that would need to be changed. Sometimes going back to the basics is what usually what works. Remember there is still people on dial-up and people that don't have high end computers. You have to look at the whole range of your market. From the poor ones struggling to get into it & the rich ones who can buy two new kits in a week. I am not meaning the prices of you items. I mean if they have trouble buying stuff, how big of system do you think they have. This is just my two cents on things take it personal if you choice.

Peace Aaron
Old 01-21-2005, 12:06 PM
Tech Adept

Default hehe

Well this still does not help me.. i still need someone to help me build me site.. and not afraid to work on it more than once a week.. i have a domain name. and and cut a past site.. so.. with some skills and direction.. i could use some help.. thanks Ronnie.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.