Community
Wiki Posts
Search

rcdatabase.org

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 03:17 PM
Tech Initiate

Arrow rcdatabase.org

Hi rc folks, now we have this collaborative radio control database.
Any inputs to improve this site please submit it at suggestion

Last edited by PapaJay; 09-12-2009 at 06:12 AM.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

how did you program the site to be easy to navigate like that? could you send me the html? i want to use the same layout, of course if you put work into it and don't want to share for free, you don't have to and i won't copy it. but if you feel like sharing to help me make site (which is free and makes no money at all) then please
Old 08-08-2009, 11:33 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by HoaRC
how did you program the site to be easy to navigate like that? could you send me the html? i want to use the same layout, of course if you put work into it and don't want to share for free, you don't have to and i won't copy it. but if you feel like sharing to help me make site (which is free and makes no money at all) then please
Which one did you meant? the menu or the whole site?
If you mean the menu, you can try menu tree.
If it the rcdatabase.org site, whoaa... that a lot of php coding involved.

The site it self not a forum based, so I have much more freedom to create or expand.
I hope users can help me to improve rcdatabase features and start to build up large database for RC.
Old 08-08-2009, 12:28 PM
Tech Regular

I like the idea of the site. The truth is that manufacturers and retailers could have easily setup a database like this, simply by giving customers a way to post their information on the database. But, the manufacturers are not interested in you knowing exactly which motor to use in that ARTR you bought. They want to keep you in the dark so you buy many different motors just to try them. And people in the rc community are more interested in socializing than building a useful database. There is a website called rcdocuments.com which has been fairly successful. But, I doubt that it makes any money. Why? Because people go there once, get their manual and don't come back. Compare that with a forum where people come back on a daily basis. You get more ad revenue. And the companies use forums to get consumers to market rc products to each other. If you already have an rc database, then people will come and use it. But it is unrealistic to expect people to come and build the database. Most people on the Internet want to take and not give. And then one day, some smart guy will come and steal your idea, your database, and create a site that's better than yours. And poof goes all your work promoting, adding the database info, managing, paying for hosting, etc.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:58 PM
Tech Initiate

indeed that the facts, every webmaster have to face it.
Even manufacturer have to fought with the copy cat

Of course this site will be a forum, with social thing, just run on own development application, rather than to start with a common forum software.
Still needs a lot of work to make this site better.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HoaRC
I like the idea of the site. The truth is that manufacturers and retailers could have easily setup a database like this, simply by giving customers a way to post their information on the database. But, the manufacturers are not interested in you knowing exactly which motor to use in that ARTR you bought. They want to keep you in the dark so you buy many different motors just to try them. And people in the rc community are more interested in socializing than building a useful database. There is a website called rcdocuments.com which has been fairly successful. But, I doubt that it makes any money. Why? Because people go there once, get their manual and don't come back. Compare that with a forum where people come back on a daily basis. You get more ad revenue. And the companies use forums to get consumers to market rc products to each other. If you already have an rc database, then people will come and use it. But it is unrealistic to expect people to come and build the database. Most people on the Internet want to take and not give. And then one day, some smart guy will come and steal your idea, your database, and create a site that's better than yours. And poof goes all your work promoting, adding the database info, managing, paying for hosting, etc.
So you ask for the code to this guy's site, which is brash enough on it's own, but then you go on to bash his site? Wow...
Old 08-08-2009, 05:40 PM
Tech Regular

sorry don't mean to look like i am bashing the site. rcdatabase.org is a great idea and i would love to see it thrive! it's just over the past two years I and a two other forum members have tried to create such a database for airplanes on wattflyer and we found that most people in the rc hobby don't want to contribute the work to create a database like that. don't mean to bash at all. i think it's a great looking site and that's why i asked about the code.... sorry sorry sorry....
Old 08-09-2009, 04:52 AM
Tech Initiate

LoL no problem with that, infact that made me think that how we make this database to be usefull for you and everybody?

As the main concept, we can start to record with what you have right now.

I think nobody can afford all range for example Neu motors just to find out the difference between them, am I right?

As the time goes, maybe someday we can have full range Neu motors, complete with details, pictures, and user experiences with related product.

Imagine that we can have complete part list for each vehicle, don't you think to find compatible parts become so ease? or need to find compatible motor for your model?

Don't you think you can help someone out there? Or maybe being helped.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:15 PM
Tech Initiate

Update, rc car tires section is up.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:46 PM
Tech Initiate

Bumps up to the top
Hey guys new update...
I've created new area for website only.
Maybe someone here need link exchange.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:37 PM
Tech Regular

great job on the site. it browses naturally and very fast too. it might be a good idea to survey what information people look for. generally people look for the newest products. if you look at all the rc models in the world over the last ten years and count their parts there is literally a million things to put in your database. so you have to narrow it down to what people are actually looking for. i think your aim is to be a portal for people looking for parts, manuals, and new upgrades. most people look for the best, the cheapest, the fastest.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:12 AM
Tech Initiate

Thank you, HoaRC.
But I think you wrong about the products, look at vintage Tamiya guys.
You can see how they product become obsolete but highly demanded.

Mysql capable to handle these million of records if we create it correctly.

The purpose of this database is to help get complete info about one product and compare it directly with another.

Also we can have compatible or popular part for particular vehicle.

Btw the RC track is ready.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:35 PM
Tech Initiate

Haven't came up here lately, but now we have new category, the Radio Transmitters.
The receivers not up there yet, but will after fixed some bugs on it.
Also reworks on home page, a bit like a forum layout, still need some dress up on the looks.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

Smile Cool Website

Hey Papajay,

I realy like your website, very clever idea - so good i'm thinking why didn't i think of that.

But i'm not off to create one, i hope more people add to it i will be happy to add to it, i think thats because i am a hobby business and see use in the website for my customers. I don't know if people looking to start the hobby would add to it but i am sure they would use it.

Hopfully they click on your adsense a couple of times to help you with the running of it. I put in a few clicks for you.

Are you still open to link exchanges?

If so i would like to exchange links with you with my website.

Also when adding a model to your website are you keeping it to the criteria you have because i think you should put a section in for other and then let the user type type what they have. I want to add the hbx vrx-2 but was unable to.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:50 PM
Tech Initiate

Xnitrorc, PM me your site, also thanks for the compliments

I've been hunt for link exchange since last month.
Some were honest people, but couple times I'm not getting link back from sites I've added on rcdatabase.org, anyway I will remove them soon.

Yes there is many restriction for input, that for helping database query when it have large amount data.

You must add the manufacturer (HBX) before you can put product for it.

I've been busy at office, need to get my self in to add contents, but I would prefer people add stuff they have, since they have direct experience and know the product better than me. I'm just regular RC guy.
Imagine 10 people with different vehicle, and they know compatible parts for their car model for example.
Don't you think it just like sticky post on forums? But in different way and much better than deep covered posts.

We are stuck now, really need helps from you guys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.