Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New ProRace USB interface from MileHighWings!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 08:18 PM
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up New ProRace USB interface from MileHighWings!

After long development and extended testing, we are introducing our new USB interface optimized for high fidelity car simulators like VRC Pro.
Check it out on our web site, my user name .com (I'm not allowed to post links yet... )

2011 champion and 2012 World Series winner Frank Hättich inspired development of this interface, took active part in its testing, and dominated VRC races with interfaces from MileHighWings. The 3rd place winner in 2012 World Series, Graham Raistrick, was crucial in bringing this product to fruition.

About MileHighWings: We are based in Boulder, Colorado, and have been catering to flight simulator community since 2001. Our interfaces are developed in the US and Europe and all manufacturing is done in Europe. We've sold our flight interfaces to thousands of hobbyists throughout the world, we are supplying OEM interfaces to a leading RC flight simulation company and to a number of UAV manufacturers.

We hope that our new product will give VRC racers a competitive edge.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I have been a VRC racer for 10 months now.
Glad to see that people are working things like this.

Hope that the following helps.

http://milehighwings.com/
Old 02-26-2013, 10:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

So what are the benefits of running the ProRacer USB interface over the std VRC-3NT USB adaptor.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:44 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nitro Tiger
So what are the benefits of running the ProRacer USB interface over the std VRC-3NT USB adaptor.

+1
Old 02-27-2013, 09:12 PM
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up

The main features of MileHighWings ProRace interface are:

1) High output resolution: full 12-bit (4096 levels) resolution for each channel.

2) Internal calibration: the output signal always spans the whole 0...4095 range, no matter what the travel volume of each channel is. The interface scales each channel output based on the calibration parameters.
All other interfaces scale their signal range to cover the maximum possible channel travel. Then, if a channels is adjusted to travel only a portion of the full range, the output signal will only cover the corresponding, smaller, portion of the theoretical range.

3) Flexible digital signal filtration: the internal resolution of the interface is 16 bits and, before it is reduced to the 12-bit output resolution, the noise suppression is performed on the fly. Filter parameters are user controlled, so that you can select the optimal filtration level depending on your radio setup and driving preferences.
We are honest about the output signal noise and expose "Jitter parameters" dialog to measure the maximum, between the two channels, standard deviation of the output signal.

4) High data rate (limited only by the transmitter) and low latency.
People, who tested our interface, emphasized its "smooth feeling" and "crisper control", comparing to the standard interfaces.

5) Arbitrary channel mapping: during the calibration, ProRace software detects which channel is the steering and which is the throttle and makes them first and second axis, correspondingly.

6) Finally, firmware update capability: ProRace interface firmware (internal software running the microchip) can be updated, whenever we publish new versions.
During the beta testing, we went through a number of firmware revisions and the testers updated their interfaces themselves.

This all is described at the interface manual (I still can't post links...)
Old 02-28-2013, 12:35 AM
Tech Rookie

Another nice feature of the MHW ProRace interface is that it saves the calibration result in it's internal memory. So once it is calibrated, there's no need to regularly re-calibrate like with other interfaces. Moreover for people who play VRC on two or more computers, this allows you to just plug the interface to a different computer and start playing without having to calibrate again.

Last edited by VRC-ProRacer; 02-28-2013 at 03:04 AM.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:38 PM
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up

Another advantage: the cable is not soldered to the interface but can be unplugged to switch to a different radio or between DSC and RX cables (first picture). The cable has mini-USB connector, which plugs into the matching jack on the interface (the second picture).
Attached Thumbnails New ProRace USB interface from MileHighWings!-interface_w_cables.jpg   New ProRace USB interface from MileHighWings!-pcb.jpg  
Old 03-02-2013, 07:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I noticed in the manual it says that you get a much higher data rate in PWM mode to using the DSC port.

Is that correct, I would of thought the DSC port would be the better option, can you elaborate on this and maybe put it in laymans terms, not my forte at all lol.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:18 PM
Tech Rookie

I noticed in the manual it says that you get a much higher data rate in PWM mode to using the DSC port.
Is that correct, I would of thought the DSC port would be the better option,
DCS port outputs analog PPM signal, with all the channels packed into a single PPM frame. Newer, digital, protocols do some digital magic to send data faster, that's why PWM mode, working at the same speed as digital TX -> RX, is often faster than DSC.

This is usually that case, but not always: DSC of a good car radio can reach 100 Hz data rate, while airplane Spektrum DSM2 receiver operates at about 50 Hz.

DSC does have its advantage: it provides much cleaner signal, while PWM always requires signal filtration, which introduces extra latency.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

purchased
Old 06-18-2013, 01:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

Is it possible to use the DSC version with the Airtronics/Sanawa M12?

Or do I need the RX version?
Old 06-19-2013, 03:05 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by dr_hfuhuhurr
Is it possible to use the DSC version with the Airtronics/Sanawa M12?

Or do I need the RX version?
You need the RX version, because the M12 doesn't have a DSC port. However, with the RX version you will have a much higher sampling rate, because it doesn't rely on the slow ppm signal.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:39 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi Miklos,

in ppm mode some transmitters need some time before they are recognized by the interface. Have you tried to change to ppm mode in the MHW software and only after this connecting the transmitter (set to ppm mode)?
Are you sure that you have the correct DSC-cable for your transmitter, and if yes, that it is working properly?
If nothing helps, please contact MHW, they will help you!

Frank