Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/8th offroad

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 02:17 PM
Tech Adept

I was just at the apple store and you are correct it was 80 bucks Shagino for windows parallels. So I will also need to get window 7.

The Parallels says window and is that just a program that allows me to run windows on my Mac?

Hope you fellas do not mind all the questions. Just want to make sure I am doing it right the first time.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:21 PM
Tech Adept

Im considering getting VRC ... Can people who play it tell me if the setup changes you can make to the cars are reallistic to real world changes ?
Old 07-13-2013, 07:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ready rollers
I was just at the apple store and you are correct it was 80 bucks Shagino for windows parallels. So I will also need to get window 7.

The Parallels says window and is that just a program that allows me to run windows on my Mac?

Hope you fellas do not mind all the questions. Just want to make sure I am doing it right the first time.
No worries at all. Feel free to PM me if you want to take it offline.

Yeah, parallels just allows you to rum windows programs. It's a Virtual Machine so no reboot is required. You'll still need windows though. I luckily got a copy from a friend though. So my cost was just $80. Ask around to see if you can snag a copy. If not, I think it's like $100. Parallels may be able to run windows 8 also. I only have 7 so that's what I went with.

Originally Posted by Catch 22
Im considering getting VRC ... Can people who play it tell me if the setup changes you can make to the cars are reallistic to real world changes ?
I don't find that to be the case. I was hoping to learn a ton about setup also. It's great for experimenting with radio settings and mainly practice. I run mostly SC in VRC and all of the tires behave exactly the same. I'm sure setup does change behaviors but I've got a lot less traction than in real life so I haven't been able to notice it either.

BTW, I've got a friend in Edinburgh that I'm trying to get into the hobby. Where is there to run around there?
Old 07-13-2013, 05:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Setup changes do have the same effect in VRC as they do in RL, but a setup in VRC is not directly related to a setup in RL. Increasing the front ride height will induce less stearing, while lowering it will grab more steering. Setting up stiffer shocks will allow the truck to roll less, and a stiff suspension will allow the truck to jump farther because it's not absorbing as much of the energy on launch.

Unfotunately diff oils are measured by a percentage, not by a fluid weight, so you can't correlate them directly. With that being said, a truck set up with 50%-50%-50% will handle similarly to one set up with the same diff fluids in all 3 diffs with a reasonable stiffness. TBH, I think 50% is pretty similar to 7k oil, with 100% close to 10k and 10% close to 3K.

Also, Shock oil and piston response is estimated. They are working on getting some actual shock dyno data, but there are not many places that have a shock dyno for RC Shocks, and most of them use it for developing their own RL shocks, so they aren't likely to share proprietary insider information. To the best of my knowledge, CSI might be the only place....

With that being said, there is a pretty big update that is on the horizon, updating the whole suspension model (and tire model - but no, all tires will still perform the same, they will just perform differently....IMHO, better). Not sure WHEN it will come, but it's not too far away.

Last edited by BlueGlowBoy; 07-17-2013 at 08:01 AM. Reason: I'm an idiot and typed 1K when I meant 10K for 100% diff action.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:41 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by BlueGlowBoy
Setup changes do have the same effect in VRC as they do in RL, but a setup in VRC is not directly related to a setup in RL. Increasing the front ride height will induce less stearing, while lowering it will grab more steering. Setting up stiffer shocks will allow the truck to roll less, and a stiff suspension will allow the truck to jump farther because it's not absorbing as much of the energy on launch.

Unfotunately diff oils are measured by a percentage, not by a fluid weight, so you can't correlate them directly. With that being said, a truck set up with 50%-50%-50% will handle similarly to one set up with the same diff fluids in all 3 diffs with a reasonable stiffness. TBH, I think 50% is pretty similar to 7k oil, with 100% close to 1k and 10% close to 3K.

Also, Shock oil and piston response is estimated. They are working on getting some actual shock dyno data, but there are not many places that have a shock dyno for RC Shocks, and most of them use it for developing their own RL shocks, so they aren't likely to share proprietary insider information. To the best of my knowledge, CSI might be the only place....

With that being said, there is a pretty big update that is on the horizon, updating the whole suspension model (and tire model - but no, all tires will still perform the same, they will just perform differently....IMHO, better). Not sure WHEN it will come, but it's not too far away.
Very informative response ...thankyou very much for the info
Old 07-14-2013, 09:45 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by shagino

BTW, I've got a friend in Edinburgh that I'm trying to get into the hobby. Where is there to run around there?
Hi . We have some members from the Edinburgh area . There is only one 1/8th track in Scotland and its about 1hr drive from Edinburgh

Here is the forum http://csor.co.uk/forum/index.php

and here is the facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/4646...88436/?fref=ts

and lastly here is a video of the track for him to see what its like (yes the engine is lean on purpose as its mega cheap and get 12 mins running lean lol)
https://vimeo.com/26239340
Old 08-06-2013, 03:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 444 (100%+)

I really like VRC just started playing more the other day!