R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Vintage Forum

Like Tree1Likes

Old 03-20-2017, 11:36 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default restoring my Kyosho Turbo Ultima

Hey all, first post!

I have a Kyosho Turbo Ultima that I got when I was a kid - late 90's or early 90's I suppose. Haven't ran it in 20+ years. However my two oldest boys (12 & 10) wanted to get into it so I bought them some "cheap" AMP's. (or whatever they are called!) and now I want to get my Kyosho up and running to race them.

My Kyosho is stock, except I have a Mega Motor (but it isn't in right now) and I think I changed the gearing when I was younger too. I added an Futuba 112b electronic speed controler as well.

MY ISSUE: I had my battery rebuilt, but when I plug it into the speed control the speed control just lights up and shuts down. Sometimes it turns my front wheels a moment or moves my rear wheels. Do I just need a new speed controler? And if so, what do you guys recommend for low budget?

I will add some pictures tomorrow. Thanks for the help!
Old 03-20-2017, 01:24 PM   #2
Tech Adept

is radios trim neutral? here is some info on esc and manual..studio68.no/rc

can you turn right to left front wheels? to check esc bec..check neutral on esc along with high point on esc..
the rc guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:30 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

Thanks RC Guy. I can not even turn my wheels. I tried to adjust the neutral and high point but can not get the green light to light up on the ESC except for that 1/2 second when I first plug it in. I will try to attach some pictures now..
Old 03-21-2017, 01:59 PM   #4
Tech Rookie

Here are some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
restoring my Kyosho Turbo Ultima-img_20170320_220535111.jpg   restoring my Kyosho Turbo Ultima-rc-car2.jpg  
Old 03-22-2017, 05:26 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

What do you mean you had your battery rebuilt?
CTRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 06:36 AM   #6
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTRJ View Post
What do you mean you had your battery rebuilt?
I assumed after 20 years it would be dead, so I took it into Battery's Plus to buy a new one. They didn't have any but did say they could "rebuild" it by putting in new cells and re-wrapping it. $25 for the 7 cells.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:44 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Oh ok. It will be hard to diagnose your issue over the internet, but if you're thinking about trying a new ESC, the Hobbywing 1060 is a good, cheap unit. Last one I bought was $21.
CTRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:57 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Your best bet, is a new Radio, servo and ESC Motor Combo.

Yes you can get new brushed items, but a switch to a 19.5 or 21T motor is just right for your car. Kyosho offers a replacement transmission as well, which is available due to the new Scorpion 2014.

The newer ESC etc. Are a lot easier to setup these days, and most have simple LED diagnostics abilities. You can still run your Regular battery as well. Although a swith to 2S will give you not only that extra run time, but a consistent power delivery, without having to worry about fading as NiCd and NiMh batteries have in the past.

You can get a Hobbywing combo off Amazon or otherwise for a steal. Just do not exceed the 19.5T. The transmission is an older design, and the 19.5T is more than enough!

--->When in doubt try the Search Tab, it can and actually will lead to an Answer!
1/8 IC Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:31 AM   #9
Tech Rookie

Okay, I just ordered that Hobbywing 1060.

Will look into a new radio and server, any low cost recommendations?

What does a 19.5 or 21T mean? I currently have two motors, the stock 240ST and that Dirt Oval Mega Motor. Are they "too old" and a newer one be faster and more efficient?

THanks so much for the help!
Old 03-22-2017, 10:45 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

19.5 Turns or 21 Turns, both brushless motors.

Their efficiency alone, vs and old 19T stock Brushed motor (like the Reedy Stock Spec 19T or Reedy Flash Modified 19T) is well worth the upgrade.

--->When in doubt try the Search Tab, it can and actually will lead to an Answer!
1/8 IC Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:54 PM   #11
Tech Rookie

So would a 19T be more efficient (last longer?) and a 21T go faster?

If I want to go super fast how much more can I get???
Old 03-22-2017, 03:11 PM   #12
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The 1060 you ordered is a great ESC, I have one in my sledge with a 19t and it has plenty of power. The lower the number of turns the faster the motor so the 19t will be faster than a 21t but the battery will last longer with the 21t. I believe the motor limit on the 1060 is 15t but I would stick with the 19t, the gears in the older cars don't handle the power from newer electronics very well.
Catterman likes this.

Last edited by olds45512; 03-22-2017 at 03:30 PM.
olds45512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:02 AM   #13
Tech Rookie

Me again... So I got my new speed control (1060) and my car still won't go. The lights on the speed control just blink... I wonder if my radio isn't working? The power button on the Futuba says full, but it still might not be transmitting? I can't go forward, reverse, or turn the wheels.

With the radio being as old as it is, I wouldn't mind a new one. Ideally I would like one that I could use with another car as well should I end up getting an RB6 or something. Do you guys have a recommendation as to what I should look for? Or any other ideas to help my car go? Thanks!
Old 03-30-2017, 08:04 AM   #14
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

step back for a second and lets diagnose some stuff.

with the original radio system:
first check the crystals in the transmitter and the receiver.
1) make sure they have the same frequency on the tabs.
2) on the tabs next to the frequency number will be 2 letters TX and RX.
TX needs to be in the transmitter, RX needs to be in the receiver. now there is also AM and FM crystals so you want to also make sure that matches your radio Am for AM, FM for FM. you also want to make sure the correct frequency is used 75mhz verse 72mhz. the crystals look the same and easily get mixed up

1 and 2 will make sure you have both the receiver and transmitter on the same channel and the crystals are in the correct spot.

3) lets test function. eliminate the ESC for now, you will need a receiver power supply made from 4 AA batteries that was that little square battery holder that came with your radio originally. you plug it into the Batt Port on the receiver.

4) take the steering servo and plug it into Channel 1 on the receiver with the receiver battery installed turn on the power and check for function of the steering servo.

5) unplug the steering servo and plug it into channel 2 on the receiver and test the throttle.

if 4 and 5 show proper radio function then you know the issue is in the ESC. if the radio is still not working at all you can consider a replacement set of crystals for the radio.
replacement of the crystals rules them out as a problem. if the radio still does not work then it is either a failure in the receiver or the transmitter. at that point it is possible to make repairs but much more involved then just replacing the system.

newer radios:

here is a problem. New radios are digital. old radios are analog. the old escs and servos are not compatible with new digital radios.

so if you go with a new radio system then you have to replace the steering servo, you will be ok with the ESC as you bought a new one.

new ESCS will not work properly with old radios either. so assuming your radio is working then you would be having the issues you are having now.

first should be to determine if your old radio is working correctly on its own and try a few things to get it operational if it is not. if you have more old radios on the same band as your AM or FM radio then you can figure out which part of it is malfunctioning if that is the case.

everything can be repaired or replaced if you want to keep the old radio system. or if you decided to go with a new system then you will need to replace the steering servo in the buggy.

first decide what you want to do if you want to keep the old radio system or not.
Tamiyadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 10:38 AM   #15
Tech Rookie

Thank you very much for the reply, I tested it out the best I could and my radio is on the correct frequency, and all matched up. It appears I will need a new radio, and thus a new steering servo. I have no pull to keep everything original, as it is so beat up anyway, but I do just want it running. So my next step will be a steering servo and radio! Thanks again.

Any advice on good ones would be much appreciated!