Like Tree8Likes

RC10T2: drive or show?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 10:52 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default RC10T2: drive or show?

I got an RC10T2 that used to be raced and is in very good shape, and even has the tires and original body. Should I take it to just have fun at the track or keep it clean and just have it to show off?
Old 03-20-2016, 06:58 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Einsman
I got an RC10T2 that used to be raced and is in very good shape, and even has the tires and original body. Should I take it to just have fun at the track or keep it clean and just have it to show off?
I have a new one which I keep as a shelf car, and also my runner. I enjoy the running it when I can. I recommend keeping stock of a few parts, such as the rear bulkhead and rear arm mounts since those are no longer made. You can still get a new body from Associated.

I would say run it.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:04 AM
Tech Rookie

I was in the same boat, I don't want to ruin my XXT. I'll drive it but not race it, I bought a used sc10.2 for that. There are still tons of NOS parts available on ebay.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

i run my t2, the only real issues ive had are the rear arm mounts and rear bulkhead,

you can use the rc10 re-release arm holders in a pinch, but they do snap where they screw in, if you can find them, the rpm 3 deg rear mounts are bomb proof...but there gonna cost you... and the rear bulkhead, if you dont use a ballstud that threads all the way through, the "ball" can snap and you'll never get the threads out, i swapped to captured rod ends and screws, havent had an issue since..

other than that, for me, its an awesome "vintage" truck to goof with at the track, because it shares nearly all parts with a rc10gt, so getting ball diff/drivetrain stuff is still easy... i run a b4 topshaft and slipper, truck has held together great, lots of fun, super simple layout, not much adjustments, just throw it down and drive it "as is" fun...
Old 03-20-2016, 09:14 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Einsman
Well, RC's should be run, not collecting dust. Just be easy on it : ) I recently built a Tamiya Super Clod Buster to be a shelf queen, and that's no fun. So, I just take out once in awhile and don't bash it hard.
aaron2u likes this.
Old 03-26-2016, 07:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jahimbi Blammo
Well, RC's should be run, not collecting dust.

^^ This.
But it's sometimes difficult to be "easy" when you are racing. That includes when you're just having fun at the track, i.e., practice days (there's always someone there that seems attracted to your car).

If it's not your "first" truck or you don't really have an emotional investment in it (like it was the first RC you built, etc) I say go have fun with it.
Old 01-26-2020, 02:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default drive for me

Driver for me. Although this chassis looks good enough to show. RC10T2 roller Ebay purchase arrived yesterday's post. Pix is as it came out of the box after attaching wheel/tire assemblies. Have two JConcepts NIB bodies for it. Need to choose one to send out for paint come February. One is RC10T2; other is RC10T Classic Truck. Should be a fun project-looking at a completion date end of June.

This fills a hole in my RC10T collection. Think I'm done for now. Cheers and Regards. 'AC'

Old 01-26-2020, 04:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

it all depends on how mint it is, a real survivor is only a survivor as long as you don’t ruin it.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:09 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I would display it on the shelf.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks, guys. This particular T2 has so many aftermarket parts, including, I think, chassis that I hesitate to call it vintage. Perhaps "representative of the T2 type RC10" better describes it. To that end, am calling it my "RPM T2 Special", for want of a better name.

Have busied myself trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear (as we used to say up north in Nebraska). First off, snagged a set of front body mounts off Ebay; fabricated an aluminum/fiberglass bracket for the rear body mounts. Had to re-drill and counter-sink the chassis to short wheelbase config. Bought off Ebay long wheelbase from seller. JConcepts body wouldn't fit with LWB. Next came drilling and counter sinking the chassis for a set of RPM servo mounts. Swapped out the front green springs for gold. Found out rear shocks are fitted to the front and long gold springs are on back order-so that's a 'wait out'. Again, went to Ebay for a set of 3-piece T2 front wheels. Acetone soaked the tires off the 1-piece AE wheels and fit up the 3-piecers. Oh, and the tires had no foam inserts. So into the pit box for a used pair there.

Lots of work, but once done, it'll look "sorta" like a T2. Not vintage, but as period correct as I can get it. A back build work in progress. Looking for turf oval race-ready next June or so.

Cheers and Regards. AC

Old 02-12-2020, 11:36 AM
Tech Initiate

I've got a T3 I converted to brushless (the diff/gearbox is different that the T2 I believe?) that I use as one of my runners. There's enough of these things out there that I don't feel bad about bashing it a little, but it has proven to be pretty durable. Admittedly I do take it kinda easy on my cars these days.
As was stated, you can still get new bodies, and I've seen repop decal kits if you want to go that route.

AHR43 and Retro_Guy like this.
Old 04-18-2020, 07:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

My RPM T2 Special is almost ready to test. Body just came back from the painter. Rocco, RC Bombshells, put his standard 'Walker Evans' scheme to it. Now to sticker her up and she's a driver. Cheers. 'AC'

st_dragn_wagen likes this.

Last edited by AHR43; 04-18-2020 at 12:49 PM.
Old 05-03-2020, 10:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Greetings RCers,

The Associated/RPM T2 Special is bench ready and set up for a test session. To get the body to set lower at the back, had to move the shock tower to the front side of the rear bulkhead. Did a bit of dremeling for battery strap clearance on the tower, as well as a bit of dremel re-shaping to the rear of the battery strap. Now body fit looks better and rear shock geometry is actually better. While about it, did the black dye process on the front bumper and the white nylon spacers sprinkled about during the build.

Wish her luck. She's about to hit the grass track oval for a test. Heavy at 67+ oz, may swap out the Reedy 17.5 in her now for a HW 13.5. Dunno. Have to see how she qualifies later for the May event.

Thanks for following her along to completion. Cheers. 'AC'

st_dragn_wagen and Retro_Guy like this.
Old 06-08-2020, 07:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Concours tire set

Street skins for the RPM T2 Special. PL Road Rage up front; PL Road Hawgs bringing up the rear. Both mounted to T2 period AE split rims.

Finally scored a pair of well-used pin drive split rims for the rear of the T2. Ebay purchase. Real rough. Well used is being kind.

First impulse was to chuck the lot in the trash. Second thoughts were, "Well, what do I have to lose by trying?". A week of 24-hour soakings in acetone brought them back to acceptable. Initially, was going to mount up a set of off-roads to the RR rims and race them on the grass track oval. Wasn't familiar with the PL Road Hawgs, but seeing them reminded me I had a set of Road Rages stored in the pit box. Took a leap of faith and decided to make a 'matched' tire and wheel set for the Christmas concours later this year.

Oh! Big shout out and thank you to Einsman if he's still around for allowing me to tag onto his thread.

Here she is. Cheers. 'AC'

Last edited by AHR43; 06-08-2020 at 07:57 AM.
Old 06-10-2020, 03:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

While your T2 may not be a box stock vehicle, I believe that it really represents what you might have actually seen racing on a track. I can't count how many different upgrades along with custom or hand-made parts I've seen on r/c vehicles through the years. I also really like the look of the body on your vehcle.
AHR43 likes this.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.