(Money still not sent)

Buyer: "how much did you want for it again?"

Seller: "$80 was what I had listed"

(Money still not sent)

Buyer: "would you take $60?"

Seller: "you said you would take it, now were negotiating....ok, $70?"

(Money still not sent)

Buyer: -nothing-

Seller: "you said you would take it, I'm sitting here twiddling my thumbs, what's the deal?"

Am I the only one who seems to get "I'll take it", then the negotiating, then the silence and then continued nothingness?

I thought it was
1. Negotiate
2. Commit to buy
3. Pay

Not
1. Commit to buy
2. Negotiate
3. Not buy

Or maybe the world is changing and I'm just somewhere stuck in the twilight zone.

SMH.
Old 05-30-2015, 04:33 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 252 (100%+)

Definitely not just you. It seems the world we live in. People asking more and more for a "discount". Some I've had are reasonable some have been ridiculous.
Old 05-30-2015, 05:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 377 (100%+)

Old school rc guys are still the best to deal with. People today have no shame . New people coming in are not as thoughtful as old timers
Old 05-30-2015, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lemonader83
Buyer: "I'll take it, what's ur PayPal address?"

Seller: " [email protected], thanks, I'll ship ASAP"

(Money still not sent)

Buyer: "how much did you want for it again?"

Seller: "$80 was what I had listed"

(Money still not sent)

Buyer: "would you take $60?"

Seller: "you said you would take it, now were negotiating....ok, $70?"

(Money still not sent)

Seller: "you said you would take it, I'm sitting here twiddling my thumbs, what's the deal?"

Am I the only one who seems to get "I'll take it", then the negotiating, then the silence and then continued nothingness?

I thought it was
1. Negotiate
2. Commit to buy
3. Pay

Not
1. Commit to buy
2. Negotiate
3. Not buy

Or maybe the world is changing and I'm just somewhere stuck in the twilight zone.

SMH.
The negotiations stopped at the line in bold, yes the very first one. When you say "I'll take it" the door for negotiating may still be cracked open BUT when you include "send me your PP", You're basically telling me that you agree to my price.

I'll add that to offer $60 on a listed price of $80 is low balling and a bit insulting. As a buyer I try not to go back and forth a bunch of times. One, it may irritate the seller to the point that they decide not to sell to me. Two, someone else (like me) might come in with a more reasonable offer or be willing to pay full price while I'm trying to save 5 bucks. Three, if a person lists and item for $80 and it's honestly only worth $60. I don't want the item, and I don't want to deal with a seller who thinks their stuff is worth more than it really is. That last part can be touchy because everyone has a different opinion on what stuff is worth, but smart buyers and sellers know or have researched the average selling price for the stuff they're looking at.

Last edited by racer1812; 05-30-2015 at 08:29 AM.
Old 05-30-2015, 09:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

I never mark stuff as sold until I get the $. If they try to negotiate after saying I'll take it, I just say no thanks.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:28 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 135 (100%+)

I think that when an item has been up for over a week (or longer time that includes a weekend), that the inherent value is in question. After that time period, the market has spoken and delivered a new price point for those materials.

Good deals are usually gone in minutes to a couple hours by those who can watch the boards all day, which is their good opportunity, no harm.

Otherwise, if an $80 item stays up for a month, offering $60 is not low-balling. If I were to value my time on the boards simply by deals that were cut, I wouldn't participate nearly as often - the sweet part of trading is pleasant negotiation and hopefully understanding other hobbyists along the way.

If you nay-say that, and operate strictly on price-point and timing, then you've automatically removed yourself (in a business sense) from considering the nature & intent of an offer - it's simply a number. The noob low-ballers will show themselves and we can ignore them or take them under our wings privately and show them the better way.

When I can't quickly determine a good price point, I'll actually ask the seller and gauge by his response if I'm reasonable or being silly. No big deal.

I agree that trading early on seemed better, somehow. I've done 485 trades since '83, starting on bbs' with a modem (and local, of course) and I wish some of those old dogs were still around. But...I've had some good encounters with the new crowd, so to speak; and they, in their patience, have also brought me up to speed on brushless & lipo during the trades - which I really appreciate.

I have noticed a new thing, though: I think one guy is using me to discipline his partner/family member through a botched PP trans even though he, himself, seems to have money to pay. We'll see, although I'm not sure how to guard against this when I no longer seem to be able to see a potential seller's "confirmed" stats while paying. In the past, if I saw that they were not confirmed, I'd contact them for a repeat of good will & intent or offer to send a USPS money order.

Geno B'do
Old 06-12-2015, 10:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 166 (100%+)

Maybe not caving in so easily will stop this practice from happening. it's perfectly ok to tell someone to shove it if they try to low ball, or renegotiate after they commit to buy. I have a list of people I would absolutely never deal with because they did something like either low ball offer, or try to renegotiate. If I decide to drop the price, that's fine, they wont drop it for me.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:46 AM
Tech Adept

Yes, the re-negotiating routine really puts me on guard. Unless there's some new discovery about items in the deal or I forgot something, I'll bow out with that.
Old 06-12-2015, 05:29 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Way I work is it's not sold until it's paid, so if you want to message me asking to negotiate, take umpteen pictures of every screw nut and bolt, you can hardly cry foul if someone jumps in, says they'll take it and pay straight away. Also if you are given paypal details but don't pay essentially straight away (as most do) then don't assume it'll be there for when you 'get around to it'

My pet peeve is people who can't use basic manners (please, thank you etc) or just ask "What's your best price.." or "What's the lowest you'd go"
Old 06-15-2015, 07:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

I have been know to let my displeasure leak out on such people, I am fortunate that I am not juggling deals to sell one item so I can get another. I have imposed a bit of limit based on space for myself... so these people are likely to get an impolite response from me.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I've had the same happen to me too.... UGH
Old 06-15-2015, 08:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 104 (100%+)

Maybe we just deal with eachother from not on Gene. lol
Old 06-16-2015, 09:30 AM
Tech Adept

Hehe...that crosses my mind every now & then! If I could get everything from you guys, that'd be fine with me.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:17 AM
Tech Adept

When I put something up, I don't mind lots of questions. Especially if I didn't show a pic just right, forgot to include a detail in the description or it's about a lesser known feature. It only takes a few more seconds to type those details and begs inquisition if I don't.

I'm sure I badgered some of you learning about shortcourse, 'cause I had to piece together what offset's, for example, would work with other brands; benefits of hex with the relatively taller tire, etc. I still don't know a single place to go and review all brands' wheel offsets and axle lengths. Others will have that problem, I'm sure, if they have multiple brands in their stable. Some guys at the track have shown me some stuff, but they're busy, too; and it's rare that I could have two or three brands together to compare at the same time.

If I had dozens of items up at once like some of the guys, it'd be different for sure; but mostly I have purposeful & expected dialogue with folks when their's/mine posts are clear and detailed at the start.

Gene
Old 06-19-2015, 12:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 166 (100%+)

Just put in the ad, non-negotiable. If they cant figure that one out.... *expletive deleted* 'em.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.