Wiki Posts
Search

TrackStar Motors: V1 or V2?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 02:09 PM
Tech Adept

Default TrackStar Motors: V1 or V2?

I am currently running a Trackstar 17.5 V1 (red can), that I have been using for two years now. I'm looking at the V2 motor, and I see that the specs are slightly different. They have the same current draw and wattage, but the V1 is listed as 2270KV, and the V2 is 2015KV. Has anyone used these motors back to back, or put them on a dyno to determine which one is actually better?

Even the 17.5 V2 "outlaw" is only 2189KV.
Old 12-08-2015, 01:02 AM
DBM
Tech Fanatic

KV varies based on the timing that the motor is set to, so without knowing the timing that the motors were set to when tested, the KV rating doesn't mean much.
I have a V1 17.5 with 700 packs run through it, and it is still working great. I have had it on a dyno, and it made 10% more torque than my D4 short stack, but 10% lower KV. On a tight carpet track, I'm consistently 0.1s faster with the trackstar than the D4ss. On a bigger track, the D4 is faster. Note: the V1 motor could only be set to a max of 36 degrees timing. It was off the pace with that low amount of timing. I had to modify it to get 44 degrees of timing out of it in order to make it competitive. However, it is no longer roar legal now due to being modified for additional timing.
Two benifits of the V2 over the V1 is that the V2 is lighter by 8g, and the V2 has infinite timing adjustment. The V2 seems to have higher rotor strength, too. I'm not sure if the V2 is of a short stack stator design.
Once the V2 is roar approved, I'll order one and get it on the dyno to see how it compares to my D4ss and V1 trackstar.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:03 AM
Tech Adept

The V2 is ROAR approved now. I'm considering getting one if it's any faster than the V1. Not super concerned about the 8g weight savings.

Also, I didn't find anything in the ROAR rulebook that prohibited user modification like you described, as long as it still fits within the other specifications. I modified my V1 for more timing as well, and it seems to keep up decently now with the other cars on the track.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I've got two v1 17.5's and one v2 17.5
I've not run the the v2 on the track yet. On the motor analyzer it is significantly better than one of my v1's and the other v1 actually puts out better numbers than the v2, but a bit. It's pretty close, and as I say it's not been on the track yet.

I would say if you are looking for performance, then get the v2. I think it's likely most all of them will be better performers than all but the select "good" v1's that you may find if you try a bunch of them out.

That said, if you want some more performance out of the motor you have, take it apart and clean it up real well. Put some tape over the bearing in the sensor board, and dremel off the aluminum nubs that serve as timing stops. You can then set the timing past the last mark and gain performance. I have found the best spot seems to be right on the + which is just past the last mark.

If you're not racing and don't plan to, try the outlaw. Or for that matter if your esc can handle it get an 13.5, 10.5, or whatever. If you're looking for speed, those will be faster for less money than a 17.5 v2 or outlaw.

The price of the v1 motors are what drew me to trackstar products. Now I fully believe in their quality, price is awesome, and Hobby King does have good customer service and a couple US warehouses.

Have fun!