R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Track Locator Forum

Old 10-28-2002, 03:45 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Help!! I Need A Track In Reno, Nv

Hello everyone, I am currently living in Denver, CO and have been a dedicated racer at my local track. I now have a buisness opportunity that I am going to take in Reno, NV. I don't know what I would do without having a place to race my cars. If there is anybody on here that knows of a track in that area and a good hobby shop to deal with please respond to this post. It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Tone
Wallabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 05:27 PM   #2
Tech Rookie

hello there, the only tracks i can think of are in carson city and fernley but i'm not sure where . the only rc shop dealing with cars or trucks in reno is ams hobby on wells st. and carson city has hobby town usa. not much racing if any here i am afraid to say.
HARLEY1874666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 08:10 AM   #3
Tech Rookie

I have been to the Carson City Hobbytown and personally I think it is a joke. It is about the size of my bedroom closet and the guy that runs the place says he doesn't do ANY special ordering. Is the one that is on Wells in Reno a good hobby shop as far as selection and what's in stock?? If I can get a big enough turnout, I am going to start something up in the Reno area. I have a laptop, all I need is the racing software, transponders, and the track peices. Like I said if I can get enough people interested then I will get the stuff and do it.
Old 11-07-2002, 12:18 PM   #4
Tech Rookie

ams has a fair amount of parts and cars. as far as i know they will order parts for you if they don't have them. the owner is in my opinion a little hard to deal with. lot of people call him the hobby nazi. the other guy who runs the place is pretty easy going though.

if you put up some flyers at hobby town and ams for racing i'm sure you will have a good response. the hobbytown in carson used to do racing with a $5.00 entry fee on a ridulously small track in the parking lot. they always had a pretty good turnout but they stopped doing the races.
Old 11-16-2002, 08:11 AM   #5
Tech Rookie

PLEASE post in this thread if you are interested in a Track in Reno, NV. I need to see how many of you are going to be interested so I have an idea of how well this will turn out. Thanks,

Tone
Old 12-02-2002, 04:51 PM   #6
Tech Master

If you can find a place to race, here's a couple ideas on how to get a racing program off the ground.

Talk to your local firestations and see if they have any old fire hose that they will give you for free. They should have a bunch and be more than happy to get rid of it. It is pretty flexible and stays put pretty well. Use that to make your track layout.

Tower sells Tamiya corner dots. They're a little on the pricy side, but here's the link. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGH44&P=7 You can also use plow disks. I have no idea where you buy them, but they are used on those plows that a tractor pulls in a field before you plant the crops. Hopefully that makes sense! They're steel, so they stay put pretty well. You can use them to anchor the firehose.

Your local hardware shop (Home Depot, etc) should sell an inexpensive leaf blower that you can use to blow off the track area. I bought one for around $90.

Spray the racing surface with soda to get more grip. Home Depot should have an inexpensive bug sprayer that you can use to spray a nice even coat of soda on the racing line. You should check with the parking lot owner to make sure they don't mind you spraying their lot. Soda is pretty harmless, so they shouldn't mind. WalMart's "Sam's Choice Grape Soda" works well.

If you can get a regular group of racers together, you should be able to figure out a way to raise the cash necessary to buy a transponder system. The AMBrc system is around $2000 and the personal transponders are $50. Good luck!
psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:36 PM   #7
Tech Rookie

i know its been a while but i stumbled upon this thred on a search. we now have traction hobbies and the track at mira loma park. my local shop i deal with the most now is hc&m off of demming. don`t start on me about the dead thread...