R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Track Locator Forum

Old 08-31-2015, 04:51 PM   #1
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)
Default Feeler thread for a new track in the Groton Ct area.

Looking in to building an rc track in or around the Groton/Waterford CT area. Before I start anything I need to know somethings.

1. Looking to do indoor carpet outdoor dirt?

2. What scale and style do you want to run? 10th, 8th, or both?

3. Is there enough of a market in that area for a track?

4. Will there be a following big enough for club racing during the week and trophy races during the weekend months?

5. Also is there an interest in flying? maybe even quadcoppter racing.

Will be checking stuff out in the coming months to hopefully be ready to have something for the 2016 summer/winter time. I know there is a lack of rc tracks in this part of CT. that is why I'm looking into building one there.
phathedrc18t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 06:26 PM   #2
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathedrc18t View Post
Looking in to building an rc track in or around the Groton/Waterford CT area. Before I start anything I need to know somethings.

1. Looking to do indoor carpet outdoor dirt?

2. What scale and style do you want to run? 10th, 8th, or both?

3. Is there enough of a market in that area for a track?

4. Will there be a following big enough for club racing during the week and trophy races during the weekend months?

5. Also is there an interest in flying? maybe even quadcoppter racing.

Will be checking stuff out in the coming months to hopefully be ready to have something for the 2016 summer/winter time. I know there is a lack of rc tracks in this part of CT. that is why I'm looking into building one there.
1. The only issue with 2 different surfaces is they will require 2 different setups, potentially 2 different cars. I have seen dirt guys stay on dirt, and carpet/astro guys stay there. So 2 different surfaces at the same facility will be a challenge.

2.Both, there is a large following for both in the state. Winter time is big for 10th scale and when the weather warms up people like to run outside and that usually means nitro.

3. Im not sure if your area can support it. I know we have tracks in the west and north, but I don't know of any near you per say. I know either way it will be an hour for me to get to any CT track which is nice.

4. That question really has no answer. For as small of a state as we are there is always a lot of racing that we can do at any given time. There are people who drive 2+ hours to club race in parts of the country, thankfully that doesn't happen here. It also depends how good your track(s) and facility are. The bar is set really high around here

5.I personally have no real interest in flying

Personally I think we have such a different variety of tracks of both size and surface that it will be hard to really draw people from where they race now unless of course you are closer to them. If you end up having an amazing facility(say OCRC caliber) than it could change that drastically though as people would seek out your track as they want to run on it. My two pennies, hope it helped a little bit. I would love to spread the love and come race if you did actually get a track going
RobsRacin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 06:57 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

There are definitely people in the area that drive a long ways to find tracks to run on. From what I have seen there don't appear to be any tracks in the Rhode Island area, so you may be able to draw a crowd from there as well. I believe there are a few threads on here about people looking for places to race there.

As was said above, there are a few good tracks in CT, so you would have to do something to differentiate yourself from those if you want to get people that are between yours and the already existing tracks.

There seems to be a lack of onroad tracks in the area, but there also doesn't appear to be much interest in them either from what I have seen.

Before you commit, you may want to visit some of the existing tracks and find out where people live that are going to them. It might help to gauge interest in your neck of the woods.
s1a1om is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:31 PM   #4
Suspended

I have been to all the tracks in CT. But I saw that a few people from the Groton area we looking to run close to where they live. I wouldn't want to take racers from the other tracks just trying to get something going for the ones that live around and close to Groton. Already looking for places in or around that area. Keep sending and thoughts or ideas this way. thank you guys
Old 09-01-2015, 08:36 AM   #5
Tech Apprentice

I don't know how big of a space you're looking for/have available, but there was a track in NJ back in the '90s that did 1/10 offroad outdoors in the summer and 1/12 onroad indoors in the winter. If you can't find a big enough building for a 1/10 carpet indoor track, that may be an option.
s1a1om is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 12:15 PM   #6
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

That is a really good point about Rhode Island people... I personally don't know of single 10th scale or 8th scale track there. I know RC Madness up in the north of the state gets a lot of traffic from Mass. It could be similar for your location if there are actually people in RI looking to race
RobsRacin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 06:14 AM   #7
Suspended

Well we are planing on an 85x50 or 110x50 track. if we do carpet that means we also can race on road and oval. But enough people have to show interest in it. I have been to other tracks that race on road and oval and the turn out isn't that good. But I think everyone is liking the dirt idea. Feed back would be great.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:29 PM   #8
Suspended

Thought there would be more feedback from people that lived in the grton area.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:29 AM   #9
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Thought there would be more feedback from people that lived in the grton area.
Ask here...

http://www.rctech.net/forum/northeast-racing-forum-185/

Thank you to all of our service men and women!

racer1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 11:15 AM   #10
Tech Initiate

OH MY GAWD I LIVE IN CT AND THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH TRACKS FOR ME!!!!!!!! anyways... personally I run 1/10 with my father dirt. Buggys! just throwing it out there! okay after reading some of this thread as well.. where the heck are all these CT tracks? i know of one in windsor and well this year is looked not so good... I'd love to get out and actually play with my car! I'm a noobie and looking for friends!
Hutobega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:40 PM   #11
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutobega View Post
OH MY GAWD I LIVE IN CT AND THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH TRACKS FOR ME!!!!!!!! anyways... personally I run 1/10 with my father dirt. Buggys! just throwing it out there! okay after reading some of this thread as well.. where the heck are all these CT tracks? i know of one in windsor and well this year is looked not so good... I'd love to get out and actually play with my car! I'm a noobie and looking for friends!

RCHR
1258 South Main St
Waterbury, CT 06707 203-575-9757
Hours
Sunday: 10:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. $10.00 practice all day
Tuesday: 5:00 p.m.- 11:00 p.m. $10.00 practice all night
Wednesday: 5:00 p.m.- 11:00 p.m. racing starts at 7:00 p.m. $15.00 1st class, $10.00 2nd class
Thursday: 5:00 p.m.- 11:00 p.m. $10.00 practice all night
Friday: 5:00 p.m.- 11:00 p.m. $10.00 practice all night
Saturday: 10:00 a.m.- 11:00 p.m. practice from 10:00 till 5:00 racing starting at 5:00.

Wolcott Hobbies and Air Soft
130 Scott Rd #1,
Waterbury, CT 06705 (203) 527-3262
Hours
Mon closed
Tue 12-6
Wed 12-6
Thurs 12-7
Friday 12-11
Sat 10-5
Sun closed

R/C Madness
101 North St
Enfield, CT 860-741-6501
Hours
Monday: Closed
Tuesday: 11 to 10 Off-Road Racing Series Racing 7 PM
Wednesday: 11 to 7 Open Practice
Thursday: 11 to 10 On-Road Racing 7 pm
Friday: 11 to 10 Off-Road Racing Series Racing 7 PM
Saturday: 11 to 10 Oval Racing 7 PM
Sunday: 11 to 7 On-Road and Stock Buggy Racing 11:00 AM
Old 09-18-2015, 07:46 PM   #12
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Hey there Hutobega. Come on down to RCHR tomorrow. We have a great club race planned. We open at 10:00 racing starts at 5:00. It's 15.00 for the 1st class and 10.00 for 2nd class. Would love to have you down.
www.rcmadness.com
TonyD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:20 PM   #13
Tech Apprentice

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Well we are planing on an 85x50 or 110x50 track. if we do carpet that means we also can race on road and oval. But enough people have to show interest in it. I have been to other tracks that race on road and oval and the turn out isn't that good. But I think everyone is liking the dirt idea. Feed back would be great.
Dirt is where it's at👍