R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Track Locator Forum

Old 12-06-2005, 07:44 AM   #271
Tech Adept

Now stop being a P#$$ and run some foams.......
GMSchmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 08:34 AM   #272
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to WJ Birmingham

Greg,

I remembered last week that I still have the 203HF reciever that came with my 3PK trans. And as a bonus, I even found a freebie digital servo that will fit that I received as a free sample from someplace over in Korea. The receiver will probably burn it up, but we'll see how long it lasts.

So, that leaves me needing ESC, motor, and batteries.

Woohooo, I just got off the phone with Great Planes, while in the middle of posting this. My dealership has been approved.

Now that I have my dealership, I'll order an ESC/Motor. For batteries, sorry to say I'll be running illegally (not that it'll matter, you guys will still smoke me), using Lipos doing testing.

So it won't be long before I'm out there tearing stuff up on the pipes with Dan (j/k Dan).

-Bill
WJ Birmingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 09:28 AM   #273
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

If a few of us were to come up this weekend, would Friday or Sunday be better????
skipstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 09:39 AM   #274
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Hey Skip, friday's are still our big turnout night, but if it is track time you are looking for Sunday's the ticket.
chensleyrc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 10:09 AM   #275
Tech Adept

Bill - that's great to hear. We'll all be pretty excited to see what you find with LiPo's.

Skip - Friday's are the ticket lately. Maybe Chris or Drew will open the doors early on Friday and we can get some extra run time in???????
Old 12-06-2005, 11:39 AM   #276
Tech Elite

Talk to Drew to see if he can open early on Friday, I work till 5 this Friday.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:52 AM   #277
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 102 (98%+)
Default Friday night rumble!!!

Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it this weekend. I'll be hangin out in Budapest! Nice 3 day layover!!! Anyways, I just spoke to Drew, said he was coming down with a cold. He said he may not race friday because of the way he was feeling plus he mentioned something about it being extremely cold (8*) on Friday. Wish I could be there for the fun!
Old 12-06-2005, 12:03 PM   #278
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sps3172
Skip mentioned that he and Jimmy were planning on coming up a couple times this month. I haven't talked to him to confirm this as of yet but I suspect that this Friday might be one of those times. If that's the case, you'd have someone to play rock'em sock'em 12th scalers with on Friday.

Our turnout is probably even better than the last time you raced...at least it seems a few more new guys have started running. What happened to Ed and the HPI sled? Is he coming back to run that some more? How's the Marion turnout? I heard that things were a bit slow up there this year.

Nick H, find something else for us to debate....my typing skills are on the decline without the constant practice that I get battling with you!
Hmmmm... nothing really comes to mind. I'll have to really dig deep here to find something to argue about....

While I'm thinking about something to debate, I'll talk about a few other odds and ends that are on my mind. I may be bored this weekend with possibly no racing going on. Winterfest and other obligations are preventing lots of folks from heading to Marion, it is still up in the air if Jeff. City's new track is opening this weekend, and I'm not in the mood to go to Troy or Lebanon. BTW Ken, how far of a drive is the Lebanon track, and what do you race there? Anyways, I might have some time to come out to watch the races at Roxana this weekend. Friday night is the big turnout night, correct? What time do things start up there? If I've got time (meaning, the ol' lady doesn't yell at me to come home) I'll come out to watch. I'm interested in seeing the new layout.

I watched those vids of the Cleveland race. Pretty cool. Why didn't they do triple A-mains? Secondly, I was amazed that the lanes would be sooo skinny for a large race like that. All that crashing into each other... couldn't that have been avoided with some wider lanes? I don't know how you guys do it with the carpet. Those skinny lanes would wear thin on my nerves.

You've heard right, Steve. Turnouts as of late at Marion haven't been the greatest. They're good, but not as good as they were last year. I visited a couple times last year and both times were better turnouts than what we've had so far this winter.... and those two days I visited last year were 'light' turnouts. I hear things pick up again in January, and of course we still get the alpha cup, but for some reason, no one knows what happened to everyone.

Alrighty. Enough stalling..............Damn. I've still got nothing, Steve. However, I do have a question for you to think about: Why no off-road racing for you this winter? I have my reasons for not running on-road (somewhat of a time issue, but I could get around that... mainly I don't have enough money to do both) but I don't think I've ever gotten a reason from you for not running off-road. So I started to think to myself what would be the typical reasons Steve could send my way for not going to race off-road.

1. Too dirty.
Not so. Indoor electric is probably no more dirty than your carpet racing. I only clean my tires and wipe the dried up mud off the bottom of my chassis. I haven't cleaned my cars at all otherwise. The gunk TCs throw up inside the car for on-road is probably more dirt than electric off-road gets.

2. Too expensive to run both.
Aren't you sponsored? Sure, maybe you have to buy some stuff, but if you look at your 'racing budget' as a collective budget including both on and off-road, it should be fairly cheap for you to get involved. If I had the majority of on-road stuff paid for me, then off-road is cheap to get into. As we have debated and come to a conclusion before, off-road is significantly less taxing on motors and batteries, and another nice little fact is that electric off-road does not wear out tires... especially indoor. I know you know that, but many peeps don't. I actually have tires that are two years old that I've baked off my rims twice now to change out foam inserts!

3. Too far of a drive.
C'mon, a serious racer like yourself should have no problem driving 2 hours or less for a club race meet on the weekends.

Now, this is all under the assumption that you at least enjoy electric off-road somewhat and would actually consider it. Secondly, I have no idea if any of these three reasons stated above would be part of your argument, I'm just trying to get things going. Basically, I just flipped the situation around from my perspective. I personally would enjoy running carpet with you guys. It wouldn't be my preference for on-road (I like asphalt a lot better) but r/c racing is r/c racing. I like all forms except for stupid oval. I just don't have the funds to do them all like others can *cough* Greg S *cough*. I'd just like to get as many good racers out to Marion on Saturdays as possible because of what has been mentioned before, Marion's turnouts haven't been exactly what we were hoping for this winter. There are plenty of great off-road racers that run in Roxana on Friday nights, but could also every so often come down to Marion to run off-road on Saturdays. I know if I could run on-road, I'd do both some weekends.

That reminds me, after Christmas, I should have a spare speedo, motor, receiver, and batts. If people have spare cars I'd be more than willing to drive them at Roxana from time to time.

BTW Steve, what makes 1/12 rockem' sockem'?
Laterilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 12:44 PM   #279
Tech Adept

Nick - I've been refreshing all day hoping to read something from you....

cough, cough "for me", it's simple. Running more than one kind of racing would take away too much time from the family. That would put me that much closer to loosing 1/2 my Sh$#T. I like my Sh#$t too much for that.

Now, that could all change after I run onroad gas. That looks cool enough to jeopordize 1/2 my Sh$#t
Old 12-06-2005, 12:50 PM   #280
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Nick, Lebanan runs 2wd stock, Truck Stock, 4wd Mod, Mod Truck and maybe 2 wd mod. It's 2 hours straight down 44. It's about 8 miles off the hwy.
And the rockum sockum 1/12 scale is because of the way Skip and Jimmy just hacked me last time. It was all fun. But next time....... lol
2012 JConcepts Winter Indoor Nationals Stock Buggy Champion!!
2009 ROAR Region 8 Stock Buggy Champion!!
kenshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 01:48 PM   #281
Tech Adept

Right on...Nick to the rescue.

To get right to the heart of your question, my race budget (or lack thereof) doesn't support another type of racing at the moment. The only sponsorship I have currently is with RC America and all that means is that I get to buy Xray, Hudy, Max Power, etc at a discount but it's certainly not free. I truly enjoy indoor electric off road and if money weren't an issue, I'd be there sanding the spikes off my tires with the rest of you. Actually, I had a B4 and was planning on racing at Marion this winter until the carpet track materialized. Rox is closer and I prefer on-road when forced to choose so I dumped the buggy and started sniffing Paragon again.

As far as the Cleveland vids....I thought the lanes were plenty wide. I've seen much tighter than that at a big race. I believe the track was 44' x 90'. Granted, some big races (Vegas comes to mind at 50' x 100') have slightly wider lanes but when you get right down to it, the 'ideal' line is still no wider than a car. When considering the A main, bonus money, big trophies, and national titles are on the line. Those guys would be beating on each other no matter how wide the lanes are. I hear you, though....triple A mains would be nice....I don't know why Cleveland has never run them.
The rock'em sock'em reference is one of those 'had to be there' dealies. The last time Shu ran 12th, Skip and Jimmy were up from Carbondale. I'm not sure how it started but at some point, it became a contest to see who could take Shu out. He was leading and they would literally wait for him to come by and attempt to hit his car with theirs. Make no mistake, this wasn't a case of tempers flaring (from my perspective)....just three grown men electing to get uber silly with their toy cars. Go figure...
sps3172 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 01:52 PM   #282
Tech Addict

Hmmmm.... maybe some other time Ken. Take some pictures or let me know who all goes there with mod 2wd and 4wd. I also for some reason thought this would be on Saturday. I'm not a big fan of Sunday races that are of some distance away from home. I like to lounge around a lot on Sunday before the following work week.

Greg, its simple. Just go to on-road sometimes and then to off-road at other times! Done and done. I figured eventually the family would get in the way of racing. In fact, I'm surprised it hasn't stopped the amount you do right now. I don't even have kids and I get yelled at for racing less often than what you do!
I can't believe you are still considering running 1/8 on-road. As cool as what it is, I think the closest track to you is still 4 hours away! Are you going to seriously drive that distance every weekend?!
Laterilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 11:56 AM   #283
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 102 (98%+)

Any new info on the track over in Saint Charles?
Is this a carpet track?
Old 12-07-2005, 04:27 PM   #284
Tech Elite

From what I have seen on the flyer is that it will have 4 tracks, 3 small for 1/24-1/18th's and a 64x32 1/10 scale track, with lots of pit space, I don't know if it is carpet or that foam playground stuff they have at the mall track.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:13 PM   #285
Tech Regular

whats the mall track?
BiggAlz is offline   Reply With Quote