Wiki Posts
Search

RC Racing for Autism April 5-6, 2014

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 02:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (97%+)
Default RC Racing for Autism April 5-6, 2014

Coffman's Hobby Depot is hosting our first annual "RC Racing for Autism" race April 5-6, 2014.

We will be running on-road and off-road tracks.
Qualifying will be held April 5, 2014
Mains will be held April 6, 2014

Races fees are as follows:
$15.00 first class
$10.00 second class
$7.00 additional classes

As always are entry fees are family based.

Doors open at 10 AM, with racing starting at Noon both days.

We will be having a 50/50 drawing on both days, Chinese auctions, and door prizes.

All proceeds benefit Autism Speaks.

We will be accepting preregistrations until April 3, 2014, we will also accept registrations until 11AM, in person, at the track.

For preregistration please use the attached file, and e-mail it to us, snail mail it to us, phone, or stop in. We will be accepting PayPal, Checks, Credit Cards via phone, or cash in person. We are not responsible for any snail mail that is not received in time.

All contact info can be found on flyer.
Attached Thumbnails RC Racing for Autism April 5-6, 2014-autism-race-flyer.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Race Registration.pdf (109.9 KB, 97 views)
Old 03-12-2014, 06:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default The Cole Pollard TQ Shootout

Awesome Chance to win big for a Great Cause.
Attached Thumbnails RC Racing for Autism April 5-6, 2014-flyer-shootout.jpg  
Old 03-12-2014, 08:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Can't wait. Should be a great time
Old 03-12-2014, 08:55 PM
Tech Initiate

As a father of a child with Autism I would like to say Thank you to whom ever put this event together. My Son was diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome at the age of 3. My wife and I consider ourselves lucky that our son is on the high functioning side of the Spectrum disorder. There are many parents who have children on the Spectrum who can't speak, Cry for unknown reasons, have uncontrollable meltdowns, will not make eye contact. The list goes on and on. These children deserve to lead normal lives as much as they possibly can. To "Look" at my son he appears to be a healthy normal 7 year old little boy. This is the problem many people have a hard time coming to grips with. Myself included I was in denial for along time after we got his diagnosis. So it really bothers me when people when my child is misbehaving out in public and someone will offer there so called parenting advise. My response them is, "so have you raised a child on the spectrum." That's when I get the blank stair (or the deer in the headlights look as I like to call it.) because they have no clue what the hell they are talking about. So I try and educate these people that my son is not misbehaving because of lack of parenting or lack of discipline. My child is misbehaving because he has a neurological disorder. Another term would be a learning disability. I can tell my son a hundred to a thousand times to stop doing something. He might get the message or he may not. He also has sensory issues such as being in a loud room for instance going to Dave & Busters on a Friday night would cause my son to cover his ears with his hands due to the noise level. The flashing lights will bother him and maybe after being in the situation for a while he may adjust to it or we may have to leave altogether because he just can't take the sensory inputs. Everyday is a challenge with my son. My wife and I have received so much support from various Autism foundations such as Autism speaks, C.A.R.D. Center for Autism & Related Disorders, Autism Society. We are not a poor family nor are we a wealthy family. We appreciate all the help we have received. Since we have been helped by some or all of these wonderful foundations. I am pleased to help give back in anyway I can. Last year my wife and I plus a few other women from my sons school helped put together a charity motorcycle ride for the local Autism Society. We Raised well over $3000 for the event and donated all of the proceeds. We are vary grateful for what we were able to pull off considering the day of the event it was a very wet rainy day. I pray that you have a fantastic turn out for your event. I wish I wasn't to far away or else I would attend and support your event. I race 2WD Short Course & 4WD Short Corse Trucks and I just finished painting the body for my Losi SCTE. I painted it in an Autism awareness theme. I can't wait to show it off at the track this weekend. I wish you a great turn out and lots of fun the day of your event. Thank you.

Gordon Ellis Jr.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:24 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default RC Racing for Autism

Gordon and fellow RC Tech members,

Thank you for your sharing your story about your son. We have a son who is 8 years old and was diagnosed with autism at age 3. Since then it has been a challenge to find family activities that we can participate in that include him.

He was diagnosed with PDD-NOS. He does also have sensory issues, similar to your child. We have found a racing home at Coffman's Hobby Depot and the owners and fellow racers have embraced Cole's quirks and unique needs. Cole feels comfortable at this track, and he races in Sportsman every week.

Our 5-year-old son, who is neurotypical, wanted to support his older brother, asked if he could decorate his SC10 with puzzle pieces. We started making vinyl puzzle piece stickers and other racers started asking us for them to help raise awareness. We were so proud to have so many racers display stickers on their cars.

We are overjoyed that Coffmans' has offered to host the RC Racing for Autism event. Through a grant from Autism Speaks, our son was able to secure an iPad to use at school. We are grateful to them for their community grants to help families as well as their research efforts to better understand autism.

Thank you for wishing us well as we hope to have an amazing turnout of racers to share the day with us and to raise money for a good cause.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:10 PM
Tech Master

Gordon what area you from?
Old 03-17-2014, 04:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)
Thumbs up

I'm also the father of a young son with Autism and this is a great thing. I live about 3 hours away and haven't raced in 14 years but the plans to make it to this race have already started. I have 2 questions I'd appreciate some help with. First is what tires work on tc's at this track? And second will there be a Novice/sportsman class? I myself will be running 17.5 but also will be bringing 2 people that are new and don't intend to throw them to the sharks. Any help that you guys could lend here would be greatly appreciated!
Old 03-17-2014, 06:41 PM
Tech Master

Yes they always have a novice class. I don't do touring cars but will try to find out what tires they use. I do know some have rtr tc and use the tires that come with it.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:28 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Autism Race

Great to hear you are coming! My friend runs Nitro TC3 stock tires in tc. SXT3 tire compound works well on all tires. Not sure what you are running, but we run a unique vta unlimited class too. If you have any more questions, let me know. Looking forward to seeing you at the track.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

For tc rubber tires we have found the nitro tc3 stock tires work very well. As well as the hpi vta rubber tires. As far as foams the softer compounds work better. I myself have had good luck with around a 25 shore foam. But I still prefer the rubber tires to the foam, I don't like the extra grip of the form or the cost. Currently I have about 6 race weekends on my nitro tc3 tires and feel I can get at least another 4 weeks out of them min. We always have a novice or sportsman class as we call it here. If entries dictate and racers desire we always have the option of splitting the sportsmans class by vehicle type.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:51 PM
Tech Master

Exclamation

Thanks fellas!!!What about transponders will they be available to rent or what would be a good one to get?
Old 03-18-2014, 04:08 PM
Tech Master

They supply them for you to use
Old 03-18-2014, 05:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

We use I-laps timing system, and currently have 14 house transponders, with more coming in the next 10 days, we have the capacity to run 10 cars per class. We also have transponders for sale for $40.00 each, but we honestly hate to see anyone buy them for just one race.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:59 PM
Tech Master

Talking

Thank for the info,i can't wait for this! Great cause and a weekend of rc racing...win win scenario! Can't wait to meet some of you guys too,should be a great time!
Old 03-27-2014, 03:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

We'll guys, we are about ten days away. We are hoping for a great turn out for a great cause. I'd love to get an approximate head count of how many are coming, just so we can make sure we have plenty of pit areas available for everyone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.