R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Track Locator Forum

Old 03-13-2013, 12:57 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Building track, have questions!

Hey everyone,

I apologize in advance if this topic has been discussed and these questions have been answered on this forum before, and also if I'm posting in the wrong thread. If so, please feel free to move this to the correct thread.

Long story short, I'm planning on building an outdoor off-road track. The dimensions are 80' x 50'. It will be designed mainly for 1/10th scale. While I do have SOME experience working on tracks, I've never taken on the entire project for myself. So I'm trying to find the best information I can before I start purchasing dirt, piping, lap counting sytems, etc... So my questions are these:

1. What type of dirt is most commonly used? I know clay is a word that is often thrown around. But when purchasing dirt, I have a feeling it's a little more complicated than that. I've never really looked into the specific type of dirt used at the tracks I've raced at. I would guess that most tracks are a blend of red clay and top soil, but I'm only speculating. When you approach a trucking company to haul you in some dirt, what type of dirt do you tell them you want (usually).

2. For an 80' x 50' track, roughly how many loads do I need? I called one trucking company today who told me I would need about 10 loads. I'm not sure If I would need quite that much. I was thinking more like 6 or 7, but that's why I'm here, because I don't know.

3. The only land I have to work with is a large hay field. During the summer, when we bush hog the field, the hay pops right back up in no time flat. How do you keep the track from growing up? Do people till up the ground before laying the dirt? Is there a chemical that people use?

Thanks in advance for any answers or suggestions. If you've got any helpful links, I would love to see those too.

Thanks!
Old 03-14-2013, 01:24 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Wooooow!!!!! These are really informative answers! Thanks so much for the help guys!

Come one guys, 50 views and not a single word from anyone? Not even a reply saying "you're stupid, go away!"?
Old 03-14-2013, 08:32 AM   #3
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

ten loads sound about right for that size of a track. as for the dirt it a slight mix here in pa its a 80% clay and the rest is a type of topsoil. to really keep the growth out I would say to till it up remove some and then roll it and lay some plastic down then the new race dirt on top of the plastic make sure you angle the race surface for drainage but not to much to cause ditches
Lee R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:19 AM   #4
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee R View Post
ten loads sound about right for that size of a track. as for the dirt it a slight mix here in pa its a 80% clay and the rest is a type of topsoil. to really keep the growth out I would say to till it up remove some and then roll it and lay some plastic down then the new race dirt on top of the plastic make sure you angle the race surface for drainage but not to much to cause ditches
Thanks, I have the perfect spot on top of a small hill where the water will run right off the hill. I appreciate the informative response. Hopefully will be be getting to work on it soon!
Old 03-15-2013, 04:45 AM   #5
Tech Elite

If you put plastic under the dirt the track will not drain well. With only 10 loads, the dirt base will be thin. I would get a Skid Steer and strip off the grass layer and see what type of dirt is natural. Clay is not a requirement. I've seen some very good top soil based tracks over the years. If you are purchasing dirt, ask the contractor if you can go and see the dirt first. Make sure it's mostly rock free before commiting to purchase.
Homer Allman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:24 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Heys guys I have a few more questions (thanks for the good help btw).

So about track lighting for racing at night time. Now, the outdoor tracks I've raced at have all had pretty massive lighting rigs which I have no doubt at all are waaaaaaaaay.... Did I say waaaaaaaaay out of my budget. My simple question is, will those 1000 watt halogen work lights you can get at lowes suffice if I were to buy 4 or 5 of them and set them around the track? You know, the ones that are on stands and have two lights on them usually? That's about the only solution I can think of that would be within my budget. The location I have is in the middle of nowhere and is pitch black without lighting.

I have a little birdy with a dump truck who is working road construction who can hook me up with SOME dirt for FREE!!!!! But SOME is the key word here. The rest will have to be taken from the hill on my property. I have a john deere tractor with a big o' bucket I can probably use to dig some dirt out of that hill. The dirt in that hill is perfect clay-like soil that is totally rock-free. But I'd never be able to get gobs of it, just some.

Oh yeah, and I'm going to try to get a guy to build me a 3' x 15' driver's stand. That's like 45 square feet. How much should I expect to pay him for that?

Thanks!
Old 03-25-2013, 09:42 AM   #7
Tech Apprentice

where will this track be located
rcr@cer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:42 AM   #8
Tech Initiate

Calcium chloride sprayed on any dirt is traction. My indoor track was top soil from construction projects I was on and some shredded top soil. Take ice melt and mix in a drum ans spray it on.
ckelly9505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:18 AM   #9
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly9505 View Post
Calcium chloride sprayed on any dirt is traction. My indoor track was top soil from construction projects I was on and some shredded top soil. Take ice melt and mix in a drum ans spray it on.
it also increases tire wear. when we opened we chose to do a little more maintenance and save the racers the expense of tires. the most commen thing we hear from new racers at our track is how great it is to run all day and not have any noticeable tire wear.
markkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:21 AM   #10
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

As you design/build, keep in mind the drainage, you don't want to end up with big puddles/pools after heavy rain. Also, the bigger obstacles may be better off on the far side of the track to avoid blind spots. Halogen lighting is very yellow looking, I mounted (100w-250w)metal halide flood lights to trees around my track, it is a much whiter light, but that may be personal preference. Do you have a water supply available? I put in a (in ground) sprinkler system, but my track is almost twice the area. I run the sprinkler system and 2 garden hoses off a shallow well pump(Harbor Freight), which is fed from a 275 gal tank(C-List), which is filled from a pron 250' away and down a hill, in the summer I will use 4 tankfulls easily in a day. When I have some time I will get some video up of my water system and my new track layout for this season.........