Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Repainting Track layout ? Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 04:48 PM
Tech Adept

Default Repainting Track layout ? Questions

Our Local race club has decided to change our layout that was painted on asphalt two years ago . We race 1/10th TC 1/8th onroad GT rubber tire and electric mod rubber tire. We are very concerned with traction and the inconsistencies with painting over a previous layout ( this was done once before). Can anyone shed some light on this ? We are not able to resurface this year and have a strict budget like all race clubs but are looking for best results. Latex paint and driveway sealer were mentioned but if there is a method that has yielded good results we would love to hear about it.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by NYRCC; 03-04-2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NYRCC
Our Local race club has decided to change our layout that was painted on asphalt two years ago . We race 1/10th TC 1/8th onroad GT rubber tire and electric mod rubber tire. We are very concerned with traction and the inconsistencies with painting over a previous layout ( this was done once before). Can anyone shed some light on this ? We are not able to resurface this year and have a strict budget like all race clubs but are looking for best results. Latex paint and driveway sealer were mentioned but if there is a method that has yielded good results we would love to hear about it.

Thanks in advance
Send pm/ emails to Ted hammer(glc) ... Call Chaplin Kawasaki ( Kenny Ives )
George Martinez (kraceway) ...... Then there's good ole ralph who tested sealer two years ago and it was terrible and found inexpensive flat black roof paint that made amazing traction ....
Old 03-04-2013, 07:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Agreed with Philly.
The sections of the track that where painted with the flat black paint where the most consistent areas. A light mist of traction compound yielded good traction. It also grooves up faster than the unpainted areas. Cheaper dollar for dollar too. Should be roughly $500 to paint just lanes.
The inconsistentcy came from not finishing paint on last layout. You drove from paint to nothing then back to paint, ect.
My .02cents
Old 03-04-2013, 07:55 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks Phil. Will do spoke with Ralph he didn't say it was roofing paint but reaching out to anyone with experience. Thanks will follow up with the names you listed.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:10 AM
Tech Regular

I sealcoat, if you have a supplier in the area give them a call and tell them what you are doing. They should help you or point you in the right direction, many primers out there for sealing that might help. Also the sealer you guys tried on the track that didn't work, was it mixed with sand, was it water based? The wrong type of sealer can make matters worse, there are sealers and rejuvinators. Rejuvinators are oil base and most gypsy mix it with gas, has no sand mixed in it. Coal tar and Jennite are real sealers, I mix 4-5 pounds of sand per gallon with the coal tar. All my applications are two coats either sprayed or hand applied or both, depends how course the surface of the asphalt is. Wish I was closer I would come and check it out, hope this helps.