R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Track Locator Forum

Old 08-06-2002, 08:45 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default New Chicagoland RC Raceway

Announcing the opening of Chicagoland's newest place to race RC cars: the Chicagoland RC Raceway at Tinley Park Bowl in Tinley Park, Illinois.

We'll be holding our inaugural on-road race on Sunday, August 18th. Our parking lot track will measure 185 feet by 100 feet, and we'll be racing just about every class (1/5th scale, 1/8th on road, 1/10th on road, 1/10th nitro touring and 1/10th electric touring).

The track will open at 8am, with registration from 9am until the racing starts at 11am. The cost for our inaugural race is $10 per person, no matter how many classes you enter, so bring along all your cars.

For our inaugural race, Al's Hobby Shop has donated ten $20 gift certificates for us to give out, so all entrants will be entered in the drawing for a chance to win one of the gift certificates.

We'll also have special prices on food and drinks, and entrants can choose to pit inside the beer garden (which borders the straightaway of the track and has a good view of the track), where they can enjoy a cold beer between heats or just sit and watch the racing!

Also, we have a permanent off road track currently under construction in the beer garden, which will be open soon! Once complete, the off road track will be open for practice from 9am until 2 or 3am daily, with lights at night. Drivers of all ages will be able to race during the day hours, and then it's adults 21 or over only at night. We'll post information about our first off road race as soon as the track is completed, or check our web site: www.tinleyparkbowl.com for more information.

For next summer, the on road track will be set up permanently also, with lighting, making Chicagoland RC Raceway the only full service (on road and off road) RC racing facility in the Chicagoland area, open daily from 9am until at least 2am, with food and liquor available on site.

The Chicagoland RC Raceway is located at the Tinley Park Bowling alley:

7601 West 183rd Street
Tinley Park, Illinois 60477

Just minutes from where I-57 and I-294 meet I-80, it's quick and easy to get to from just about anywhere in the Chicagoland area. I hope all the RC racers in Chicagoland come on out and race with us.
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 05:28 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Is there electricity, or do we need to bring generators? Also, what kind of scoring system are you guys using?
BJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 04:52 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

I don't think we'll run out of electricity, but bring an extension cord and power strip. There's plenty of power there, but some of it might be a little far from where people want to pit. It shouldn't be a problem. We'll supply a lot of extension cords too.

As for scoring, we ordered a brand new AMBrc system, but it has not come in yet, and they are giving me 50/50 odds that it will be here in time for our first race. If it comes in, we'll have the rechargeable transponders that can be handed out and collected after each race, plus we'll be selling (at our cost, $55 I think, but I'll have to double check) the new 'personal' transponders that you can permanently mount in your car and run off of your receiver pack. We're going to encourage people to purchase the personal transponders because eventually we'll have the timing system running on practice days, but only those with personal transponders will be able to take advantage of it. Plus, for a one time charge of $55, you'll never have to mess with those hand out transponders again, but we'll have the hand outs for those that don't want their own.

If our system is not here in time for this race, we have some backup plans. We're trying to rent a KO Propo ARC timing system from a local hobby shop that isn't racing that day, or we'll just use normal timing software but have to hit keyboard numbers instead of using transponders. If all else fails, we'd be forced to count laps manually... but that's pretty unlikely, and it would only be for our first race since our scoring system is 'in the mail.'
Old 08-08-2002, 07:52 PM   #4
Tech Regular

sorry but venture racewaws runs bolth on-road as well as off-road they are in libertyville il so i guess you wont be the only or even the first but you do have the beer garden. Lets get a sieres race going!!
Darrin Leist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 05:11 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Yeah, I had to put a lot of disclaimers in there before I could say we were the only one, including the beer garden, but I do think the beer garden is a cool addition. I know that when I race RC it's mostly to relax and have a good time, and sharing a pitcher of beer with my buddies in between heats sounds really good to me. Plus, more of my 'non-RC' friends will be more likely to come along and watch, since they'd just be sitting in some other beer garden anyway.

Venture is pretty far away from Tinley Park, so I don't see us having much overlap in terms of clientele. A series race would be fun though. We'll have to work something out next summer. Maybe all the Chicagoland tracks can get together and sponsor a series of races (maybe just one at each track), with a points system and trophys at the end. Back in the 80's when I raced 1/12th scale 4-cell electric around here, there was a series race like that. It was a lot of fun.
Old 08-09-2002, 08:01 PM   #6
Tech Regular

That sounds great just give me a call at venture and we can work out a cool race
Darrin Leist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 11:39 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

I just wanted to post a quick update. Our AMBrc timing system came in today, so, assuming it all works, we will have AMB timing for our first race, this Sunday.

Also, I talked to some of the guys who host the Hobbytown Oak Park races, and they are interested in a series race too next season, so we've got at least three tracks that want to do it...

I hope to see some of you at our race this weekend.
Old 08-22-2002, 10:42 AM   #8
Tech Regular

I've posted this on the HPI board, may as well post it here. I'm going to try to work this winter on an R/C version of the Cross Town Classic, where we work with other tracks to hold a Chicagoland points series with races held once at Walts track, Venture, HobbyTown Oak Park, Hobby Town Geneva, AJ's and perhaps Love's Park. I will be working with the managers of those tracks/stores to try to schedule it on regular race days, once at each track during the season (late April through end of September.

In addition, several people have shown interest in holding a Chicago Onroad Championship (trying to make it a major race) which will be held at one of the different tracks from year to year. (Example, first Venture, then Walts, then HB) think it would be killer to have a cool annual regional event. With the exception of the HPI Challenge, Chicagoland is a big race RC ghost town, despite the fact that we have several tracks.

For the Chicago RC Championship, we’re looking at combine the efforts of the major tracks in the area to help promote the event for next summer. Specifically, we’re hoping to have every track promote the event and contribute to its promotion.

Basically, with the input of all the tracks, we’ll roll the dice and pick one that can execute a large event and pick them to host it for the first year. In succeeding years, every track will be given the opportunity to host the event provided they can execute it. That track will be required to provide the track, the pit space, the power, the personnel (with additional volunteers generated by the executive committee), the equipment, etc. to execute the race. Depending on the number of registrations, this could be a 2 day event, with qualifiers on the first day and mains on the second. Each track/shop who wishes to be a part of the activities to grow the RC scene in Chicago will need to contribute to the promotional materials (posters, ad space, and flyers).

The executive committee will develop these materials and deliver them. They will also secure ad placement. In addition, we will be seeking prizes from the major manufacturers and inviting them to participate in whatever way possible. I realize that actually getting professional drivers will be difficult, but if we are successful for a few years, there is no reason to believe we can’t have a national caliber race here if we band together to make it happen.

Any questions, email me at [email protected]
HauntedMyst is offline   Reply With Quote