R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Track Locator Forum

Old 03-01-2012, 08:30 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default The Hobby Shop On-Road Track Dayton, Ohio

I didnt see a thread for The Hobby Shop so here we go.

Here is a link for the forum about the spring rules meeting:

http://www.thehobbyshoponline.com/Fo...s/Default.aspx

And a link to some of the classes and some of the changes to 2012:

Randy runs a great program and the set up is aways fun. Alot of good people to help any new racers. The Slash stock class is a great class to get started in racing.

Nito and Electic both welcome.
TC5 set up for USGT
The Hobby Shop in Dayton, Ohio
jpk4ud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:43 AM   #2
Tech Adept

Here is a link to the updated rules for 2012:

From Randy's Post

For those who were not at the meeting last night, here's some information you will want to know.

1. We're installing a new driver's stand. It will be 30 feet long, and 3 foot wide. I will be 100% enforcing the no one leaves the driver's stand during a race rule. It will not be negotiable, and will cause that driver to be done racing for the day.

2. We have a new barrier system for the inside borders. It will be 3" PVC pipe. We have a way to join things together, and to bend the pipes so there will be a lot less connections, and the connections will only require a couple screws to hold in place.

3. Turn marshalling will be required for all racers. You will need to find a volunteer if you are unable to marshall. I get more complaints on turn marshalling than everything else combined.

4. We are shooting for a late .March/early April date to have the race track up and in place. We will need all the hands we can get to help out in building the track. We will shoot to have a test n tune session the day we build the track. Don't be "that guy" who asks about when the track will be up, then doesn't lift a finger to help build it.

5. As I've got extra expenses on this year's track in upgrades, we will be raising the entry fee to $10 per racer. Families of 3 or more will get the $25 family plan. $10 gets you as many classes as you want to race. This is the cheapest entry fee for any large track RC racing I know of anywhere. Remember, the only way we keep the racing inexpensive is for volunteers to help build the track, maintain the track, and help on race days. If I have to pay people to do this work, we will go to a $20 race fee like every other track. So if you don't help out with the track work, you need to thank those who keep your race fees down.

As for the class rules that are slightly different from the front page: (We will have a full official rules set posted in the racing section of the website in the next two days)

Monster Truck: Any MT chassis, any powerplant, vehicles must have MT rims, tires, and bodies. We will be working on a minimum tire height and width. No ride height restrictions. Still a max of 2 7.4V lipos for electric.

Slash Spec: Exactly as stated on the first page.

Short Course Open: Only change from first page is the addition of the any SC tire rule. This includes street version tires.

Both short course classes will have four jumps, and they will be located in the same place every week. We are also looking at the possibility of a "rumble" section that we will be testing in April/May.

Electric USGT: Weight 1450g, only Solaris Medium tires, 6 minute qualifiers, 8 minute mains. All quals and mains are head's up starts. Bodies must look like a car that can be seen on the street. We are going with the "Spirit of the rules" body rules. No prototype cars, no Can Am cars.

Electric 17.5 Touring Car: 1380g weight, Any ROAR approved touring car body. Spec tires to be determined. We will allow open tire rule till June 1st. Then go to a spec tire that we'll test, and vote on a couple weeks prior to making it a requirement. That will give me time to get in the Spec tires, give people a chance to use up old tires, and give us time to properly test tires for wear and grip.

Electric Mod Touring Car: 1380g weight, open tire, open motor. Max 7.4v lipo. Any ROAR approved touring car body.

Novice will be the same as year's prior. Any vehicle, any motor, it's a beginners class. Friends/family members will be the turn marshalls for this class.

Race Dates, rainout info, and hot weather days:

Big Race: June 23rd, rain date, June 30th

Charity Race: Aug 4th, rain date Aug 11th. Charity TBD. We are looking to integrate a racing charity with the race.

Ohio State Champs: September 8th, rain date Sep 15th.

Daily start time will remain 1pm. On regular weather days, 1:15 per round. On hotter days, we will run 1 hour per round. On extra hot days, 2 rounds of quals, then the mains.

Rain days: I will make a decision on race/no race on Saturday mornings no later than Noon. I will shoot for a 11am decision, but some days require a later decision. If we get in 2 qualifiers, that is a race day. If we do not get to race at all on a Saturday, we will move the race day to Sunday schedule permitting.
TC5 set up for USGT
Old 03-05-2012, 07:59 AM   #3
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

well this is what i was looking for. I recently got a TC6 and have been wanting to race USGT. This is the closest track to me (kings island area) for now anyway. Im totally a newb at this and have some questions about makign sure im getting the most out of my car but also legal to race. I have a Tekin RS how do I make sure im in "blinky" mode?
jplong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:53 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplong View Post
well this is what i was looking for. I recently got a TC6 and have been wanting to race USGT. This is the closest track to me (kings island area) for now anyway. Im totally a newb at this and have some questions about makign sure im getting the most out of my car but also legal to race. I have a Tekin RS how do I make sure im in "blinky" mode?
I think when you turn on your ESC on the green light will blink. It is a "0" setting on the boost.
TC5 set up for USGT
Old 03-11-2012, 07:24 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplong View Post

Do you have a Tekin Hotwire? If not, we can set it for you at The Hobby Shop. I always have my hotwire with me on track days, or if you let me know in advance, I can bring it with me to the shop.
We highly encourage new racers to come race with our group. It is a very relaxed atmosphere, and we always make sure a new guy has an advanced guy to help him/her out with car setup, and racing proceedures. I also have a TC6, and will work out a setup for the outdoor track to give to everyone.

Feel free to ask any and all questions. I (as do others in our racing group) remember what it was like to be a new racer, and want to make sure a new person gets all they help they require.

Randy
The Hobby Shop
www.thehobbyshoponline.com
(937)-436-6161
thehobbyshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:52 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Very good people up at The Hobby Shop,,,,,,where is this track at up around Kings Island and who do I contact about the racing at the Hamilton County Fairgrounds? thanks
justag3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:34 PM   #7
Tech Apprentice

Justag3, thank you for the kind words.
We're probably the closest on-road track to Kings Island. It's about 25 - 30 minutes away from the shop (just head straight up 741 to the Dayton mall) according to one of the guys who lives very near Kings Island. To get to the Hamilton County fairgrounds group, it's www.tsrcar.com.
www.thehobbyshoponline.com
(937)-436-6161
thehobbyshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:28 PM   #8
Tech Adept

Track set up starts tomorrow around 10am. There will be practice after the track is complete. Ah it looks like spring is really here!
TC5 set up for USGT
Old 04-10-2012, 01:22 PM   #9
Tech Adept

Track is set up and ready!

Test n tune this Saturday April 14th (weather permitting) all day.

Practice Race FREE!!!!!!! April 21st. First Qualifier at 1pm. Standard race day system, 3 quals and then the mains.

Season Opener Race April 28th.

If we get rained out on the 21st, then the 28th will become the FREE Practice Race day, and May 5th will be the first race of the season. I need one practice race day to make sure the computer system is 100% operational. Since the race day is FREE, it always helps alleviate any issues racers might have with me if I have problems with the computer.

Page 1 of 1
TC5 set up for USGT
Old 04-11-2012, 05:00 PM   #10
Tech Adept

Pics of the new track.
TC5 set up for USGT
Old 06-11-2012, 11:39 AM   #11
Tech Adept

Coming up soon! Should be a ton of people there to watch the race!
17.5 Blinky
USGTA
Monster Trucks
Slash Spec.
and SCT Open.

The Hobby Shop On-Road Track Dayton, Ohio-bigrace12.jpg
TC5 set up for USGT
Old 06-18-2012, 03:17 PM   #12
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk4ud View Post
Coming up soon! Should be a ton of people there to watch the race!
17.5 Blinky
USGTA
Monster Trucks
Slash Spec.
and SCT Open.

Attachment 933694
Practice is Friday night 5-9.
Practice Saturday starts at 10am sign up by 12:30 races start at 1:00
TC5 set up for USGT
Old 06-21-2012, 09:29 PM   #13
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Can someone let Randy know I sent him a pm thanks
Old 07-24-2012, 11:13 AM   #14
Tech Adept

The Charity Race is coming up in less than two weeks! The charity this year is the Dayton Chapter of A Special Wish Foundation. 100% of proceeds will be donated to them.

The Hobby Shop On-Road Track Dayton, Ohio-2012charity.jpg
TC5 set up for USGT