R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Track Locator Forum

Old 08-01-2011, 09:41 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Send a message via AIM to dalmat36
Default Help Starting track, Osterburg, PA

I am considering building an Off-road track in osterburg, PA. (about 30 miles from Altoona). I have been interested for some time now in racing RC but have not had a lot of luck so far since all the local tracks keep getting shut down.
I may have access to about 2-3 acres of ground that could be used to build a track. The problem I have is limited funding, uncertainty of necessary area requirements, and personel to help build and run the track. It appears others on here are looking for a track closer to home to race so I thought I would post on here and see how much interest there would be in a track located in Osterburg and if others would be interested in helping me build and run the track. Is anybody interested?
dalmat36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:37 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmat36 View Post
I am considering building an Off-road track in osterburg, PA. (about 30 miles from Altoona). I have been interested for some time now in racing RC but have not had a lot of luck so far since all the local tracks keep getting shut down.
I may have access to about 2-3 acres of ground that could be used to build a track. The problem I have is limited funding, uncertainty of necessary area requirements, and personel to help build and run the track. It appears others on here are looking for a track closer to home to race so I thought I would post on here and see how much interest there would be in a track located in Osterburg and if others would be interested in helping me build and run the track. Is anybody interested?
Man! Can't wait to see another track come up local!
Old 08-03-2011, 05:51 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Thumbs up

Bump.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:46 AM   #4
Tech Rookie

Send a message via AIM to dalmat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTO1 Racr View Post
Bump.
I'm kind of surprised that I didn't get more responses from people. You are the only one that actually responded. Maybe people aren't willing to travel to osterburg to race.
dalmat36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:04 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Angry

Quote:
I'm kind of surprised that I didn't get more responses from people. You are the only one that actually responded. Maybe people aren't willing to travel to osterburg to race.
Darn.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:54 PM   #6
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to cougarcruisin

I'm up north in DuBois, about 2 1/2 hours from you.... a bit too far to really get into it.

I wish you the best of luck, seems like that area near you has the most RC'rs around.
cougarcruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:39 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 225 (100%+)

Quote:
Before you invest any money into this venture, you should probably talk to the track owners that have been shut down and figure out why they're out of business. My first guess would be lack of support from the local racers. If that's the case, what do you plan to offer to the local racers that they didn't?

Word of caution, when I was talking about building my track everyone wanted to come out and help, when it was time to work everybody was busy doing something else.
nitro_mt_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:09 AM   #8
Tech Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarcruisin View Post
I'm up north in DuBois, about 2 1/2 hours from you.... a bit too far to really get into it.

I wish you the best of luck, seems like that area near you has the most RC'rs around.
The way you think of it since your just starting racing, 2 1/2 hrs. is a long haul. The way I think of it is not a terrible drive. Me and my family have traveled anywhere from 3-5 hrs. away. So it's your oppinion, just saying there are a lot worst drives than this. Again just saying a comment.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:48 PM   #9
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to cougarcruisin

Yep... maybe you're into in more than me. For myself, to have way over $1500 in vehicles and accessories plus dropping 100 bucks in gas plus food and more parts just isn't what I'm looking for.

I'd much rather keep the driving to maximum 1 hour one way. At least until I get better and am worth the driving further. distances.
cougarcruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:01 PM   #10
Tech Master

Quote:
Yep... maybe you're into in more than me. For myself, to have way over $1500 in vehicles and accessories plus dropping 100 bucks in gas plus food and more parts just isn't what I'm looking for.

I'd much rather keep the driving to maximum 1 hour one way. At least until I get better and am worth the driving further. distances.
+1, don't really see much reason to drive more than an hour to race. By the time you start adding all of the costs up, you'll need a part time job to support your hobby at which point you won't have time to enjoy your hobby any more cause you'll be working.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:06 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro_mt_racer View Post
+1, don't really see much reason to drive more than an hour to race. By the time you start adding all of the costs up, you'll need a part time job to support your hobby at which point you won't have time to enjoy your hobby any more cause you'll be working.
Yeah I see the point now. Just trying to help get a track going. Cause I get tired of driving longer than a hour every week. But I'd like to have a closer one to me too.

Last edited by TTO1 Racr; 08-05-2011 at 03:07 PM. Reason: .
TTO1 Racr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:10 PM   #12
Tech Master

what about all of these tracks that he mentions that have been shut down? sounds like there was some local interest at some point over the years.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:32 PM   #13
Tech Regular

Quote:
what about all of these tracks that he mentions that have been shut down? sounds like there was some local interest at some point over the years.
There was. The oldest one has been here since like 05 or 06 and it just closed last year. I'd actually like to practice during the week instead of race days being my practice days.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:34 PM   #14
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTO1 Racr View Post
There was. The oldest one has been here since like 05 or 06 and it just closed last year. I'd actually like to practice during the week instead of race days being my practice days.
Why don't you guys try to re-open the last track that closed? That would eliminate a lot of start up costs as well as construction time.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:55 PM   #15
Tech Regular

Quote:
Why don't you guys try to re-open the last track that closed? That would eliminate a lot of start up costs as well as construction time.
Because the people that "RAN" the track screwed up with the owner of the club that owned it and is no longer renting out that strip of land ever again. Besides I'm not sure if you guys would really want the piece of land due to the drainage issues they had. But if you guys could try to find a piece of land in Duncansville which is just on the other side of Altoona... That in my oppinion is some decent land for racing.