Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

FYI for indoor carpet racers Trophy race @ Southshore hobbys in LI
2017 U.S.World Nitro Cup Nov 29th - Dec 3rd
U.S.Open Fuel Championship Returning soon
GMartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 05:19 PM   #32
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to OnRoad-Racer

I have ran my car there at Cuningham park. Yeah,some parts can be very rough, especially with the divits but there are more clean area's than rough. The QURC guys are very mild mannered and just want to have fun.

They do run some races there, when a couple of their LHS support gives out prizes. Never a charge to run at the park. You can run there. They only charge a club membership fee. If you want to run there, you're free to do it. I don't know where you got the idea of an entrance fee from, probably just misinformed.

I was invited to run there by a few friends who are members of that club earlier in the year and had a blast. You're free to bbq but most of all, there's enough food to share. They don't like to waste food so they try to finish the food since they cook so much.

Regg, if I had no problem with my MTX-3 running in there, then your R40 should have no problem either. Down in Edison; Up at Prospeed or even at the Deer Park station, the surface is far from perfect. The onroad guys at QURC pretty much have the map down pat as far as where the ruts are and they stay away from them and still make some pretty good lap times (via a hand held stop watch). R/C Madness in Einfeld, Ct has the nicest track I've ever seen here in the tristate area.

It's dusty at Cuningham Park but with proper foams and setup for loose traction, you should do fine. Check your droop, run an extra 1.5 milimeter of clearance and all will be fine. Pretty much like running the track at prospeed. If you can survive the crack off the sweeper as well as the wavy asphalt, you can run at cunningham park. Just ask the guys where the trouble spots are. (onroad guys, not the buggy and MT guys)

Great bunch of guys.

Last edited by OnRoad-Racer; 12-08-2004 at 05:24 PM.
OnRoad-Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 08:10 PM   #33
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to regg151 Send a message via AIM to regg151 Send a message via Yahoo to regg151

Don't misunderstand me on the ruts after a few trips around the lot yes you will learn the lay of the land so to speak. The ruts can be dangerous if you you don't know where they are and i've seen them bring an early end to a great day of fun.

as for the permit issue this is what I was told by someone who frequents the park never claimed it to be 100% accurate.

OnRoad-Racer - I've been there several times and although I know my way around the lot I still will not run my R40 there just my own preference seen too many wipeouts from misjudging the ruts, personally I'd rather risk the big crack at prospeed or the lil ripples over at deer park train station. I'll even take the dusty conditions over at flloyd bennet field.

I also know all about the club membership fee, been there done that. there used to be a small fee to enter in the races once upon a time. could be this was before you came upon the scene either way it's not all that important.

As I stated in my previous post there are a great bunch of people (can't say guys since I know there are a few females that run there as well) that run there, It's a great stress free enviornment fun for the kids and all. everyone helps each other out and you'll never leave hungry. I'd reccomend it for newbies to see the real grassroots comradire that can be found throughout the R/C community. now with all that being said If you wish to get serious about racing or just try it out for a few races then your best bet is to just get out there and do it, yea the learning curve is steep and it's quite frustrating learning all the setup options and actually getting them to work right the first few times out. But it's an experiance I'd reccomend to anyone in this hobby to try at least once.

MarkTroy - I have to agree with you that most of the "Organized Race Tracks" are about an hours drive regardless if you run on or off road. there are a few tracks out on the island as well as a few up north of the city as well as serveral throughout jersey and conneticut..

IMHO It's only a matter of time before someone decides to capitalize on the fact that there are so many racers within the city limits and opens a facility to give these racers somewhere closer to race. as is I know several racers who routinly (sp) travel for hours just to race and go back home and go to work the next morning.

Inferno GT Hyper 21 8 Port Ipanema Tires
Spektrum DX3R
Team CFX Racing, RCNB Race Team, CFX Paintworks.com
regg151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 07:41 AM   #34
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

The reason that there are no tracks "within city limits", is that Real Estate is to expensive.
The last permanent track that I know of was in Queens, (off Metropolitian & 69street), in the mid 90's. RC Hobbyworld. Hobbyshop plus indoor carpet and outdoor off-road. Great while it lasted.
cartix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 03:00 PM   #35
Tech Adept

I guess that entrance fee was before I made it out there. I never paid a thing. You are right about wiping out your car there and calling it a day. It can be treacherous to run there if you're not familiar with the surface. My biggest fear from running my 1/10 there is from the other drivers

As you said, it is great for the novice and there are a lot of them there at the park. I for one, like the competition of organized racing. I only go to the park when I'm too lazy to make the road trip to race. Einfeld is 2 hours away, Prospeed is 45 minutes in the am and 2 hours to get back to the city in the evening ... AAAACK! Same thing goes for Edison.

It takes a serious decision to make these treks sometimes, especially with work early the next morning. For some reason, I'm a glutton for punishment and make the trip every Sunday without fail 95% of the time.
Old 12-17-2004, 08:28 AM   #36
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

If I get my way I'd like to open a place mid nassau along the distressway.... Problem here is the same, real estate is unreal....

Wasn't there a place on Eliot ave in the late 80's-early 90's???? There was a lot more places to run back then... Funny thing is we didn't have the cars we have now....
Old 12-17-2004, 09:46 PM   #37
Tech Champion

Default Re: New York - where to start.

Quote:
Originally posted by sn4il
Hello there.
This is my first time here. Last friday i bought serpent 710 and i already assembled it. Im looking for tracks or parking lots where i can start working on my driving skills.
C'mon people, help the newbie

Max
If you are near brooklyn you can try floyd bennett field there is a tack layout most of the time between the parks dept & abandoned warehouse get there early & the track is all yours
Old 12-18-2004, 06:14 AM   #38
Tech Elite

I used to work at FBF and I still can't figure out where that is.... Where is it in relation to the old tower or flying field?
Old 12-18-2004, 08:15 AM   #39
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to regg151 Send a message via AIM to regg151 Send a message via Yahoo to regg151

not sure on the realation to the old tower but here are some rough directions.

as you enter FBF you take the first left after the entrence. you will shortly pass the community garden (nursery) there will be a building on your that is used by the parks dept. there is a large parking lot in front of it the next building you will see is an abondend hanger that has a wooden wall to keep people out. this is were you'll make the left turn into the parking lot. drive up to the old hanger as you get closer you'll see a section of blacktop on your left with no markings on it that is the track area.

the track is situated between the parks dept. building and the abondoned hanger.

parking is within 75 feet of the track area not sure is the bleachers are still setup but if they are you can't miss em hope this helps.

Inferno GT Hyper 21 8 Port Ipanema Tires
Spektrum DX3R
Team CFX Racing, RCNB Race Team, CFX Paintworks.com
regg151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 11:59 PM   #40
Tech Adept

The track is to the right of the old tower.
Old 12-19-2004, 08:00 AM   #41
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by OnRoad-Racer
The track is to the right of the old tower.
It's not hard to find on weekends there are a lot of drivers & you will see a lot of parked cars just always make sure you bring extra crystal sets.
Old 12-24-2004, 01:09 PM   #42
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Evilpete

Where is the DP train station from the LIE? I may go and check this out. I heard som good things about the racing out there, sounds like Floyd Bennet a little (not organized racing, but a good group of guys and a nice atmosphere).

It's sad that the NYC Nassau area can't get a permanant racing facility (Willis got out of it due to the sub-par attendance and isnurance costs). I know there was a petition going around to get a facility in Nassau County, but haven't heard anything new regarding that.

Based here in Queens, there isn't a whole lot of places to get a competition fix, but plenty of places for a bashing/hang out. I've gone to places in the Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn, Jersey, so there are places. It's just finding them is the key. I used to be a member of Queens United RC, and for the most part, the members are cool, I just had a bad experience with the club overall ( I don't know how the leadership is now, but I had many issues with the club leadership when I was a member, hence why i am no longer a member)

Has anyone have any info about the Edison, NJ racing. I heard Bruckner Hobbies is now organizing the races there (or will be next season)
Evilpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 06:27 PM   #43
Tech Elite

I'm actually looking to open something permanent and not rape the people who come to race.... I'm mainly gearing myself towards on road... Unfortunately the rent on LI sucks, forget about NYC.... I'd really like to open a store with a permanent outdoor asphault track and maybe and indoor carpet.... The tough part is paying the bills.... Oh yea and I'd like to do it close to the LIE in mid nassau county....