Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pittsburgh Raceway R/C Track

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 08:41 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Pittsburgh Raceway R/C Track

Hey guys its true, I Adam with Show Me Your Hobbies will be doing the tracks this year. It will set up for everything from 1/18th scale to 1/5th scale cars and trucks. There will be an off road coarse for 1/10th, 1/8th, and 1/5th scale electric, nitro, and gas. PRP will have updates on their website for opening day and admission fees. There will an big oval, figure 8, and small oval racing for everything from 1/18th scale to 1/5th scale. There will be gift card prizes for my store for 1st and 2nd place winners of the feature race in each class. I will be doing many raffles and give aways for each class. I will also have 2 rock crawling coarses. 1 for scale crawlers and 1 for comp crawlers. Im doing a raffle right now for a 5b ss kit fully assembled and ready to run. They are strip tickets so you get 5 chances off of the 3 digit PA lottery. The tickets are $20 each and there are only 200 tickets. They go off on 4/1/11. It is for a missionary that goes to Africa and helps orphans. 100% of the proceeds go right to him. If you have any questions, feel free to call me at 724-331-4107. I have the tickets at my store. I hope to get some feed back and we are going to have a nice facility to play on this year. Im looking forward to meeting new people and making new friends.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Welcome adam, good luck with your endeavor. Me personally would like to see a dedicated 1/8 track in this area, and racing on Sundays so you could possibly draw the McC crowd. PRP has the potential to be an RC mecca.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:26 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Welcome to the forum, glad you could join!!

text me if your around the track this weekend I might stop by to see the progress
Old 03-22-2011, 12:36 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by rcscotty
Welcome adam, good luck with your endeavor. Me personally would like to see a dedicated 1/8 track in this area, and racing on Sundays so you could possibly draw the McC crowd. PRP has the potential to be an RC mecca.
Agreed. There is no interest in 1/18 Scale or 1/5 Scale...atleast on a National level. I travel all over the place and the best thing you can do is make a decision on who you want to please. If you build a 1/8 Scale Track...stick to it. Whenever you try to make everyone happy, you usually make everyone mad. Everything that is planned sounds great but I would focus on getting one track going before you get too much on your plate. PM me if you want to throw some ideas around...I went up there a few times and saw where the track is and have some pretty good ideas.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:27 PM
Tech Initiate

Default prp

Originally Posted by CJ Weaver
Agreed. There is no interest in 1/18 Scale or 1/5 Scale...atleast on a National level. I travel all over the place and the best thing you can do is make a decision on who you want to please. If you build a 1/8 Scale Track...stick to it. Whenever you try to make everyone happy, you usually make everyone mad. Everything that is planned sounds great but I would focus on getting one track going before you get too much on your plate. PM me if you want to throw some ideas around...I went up there a few times and saw where the track is and have some pretty good ideas.
the off road coarse will be done first along with the rock crawling coarses. the oval track will follow and when you see how it is set up you will understand how i can run so many different classes. i own a hobby store so i have many resources to make it happen. it should be a very exciting year and ill keep you posted on what the progress is and it will be on prp's website also.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Owning a hobby store and running many r/c tracks are two different things!

I've been in this hobby for many years and there is a difference between a r/c car track and a first class r/c track!

I wish you the best of luck and hope you have a great year of racing.

C.R. Lovell
Old 03-22-2011, 06:59 PM
Tech Regular

Interesting read... Take your time and do it right. Looks like a solid plan is in place by starting with the Offroad and crawler courses. CJ and CR had great points about not overfilling you're plate, as running a race program takes elaborate coordination. From scoring, to calling races the right way, to track build/prep, it all goes into the impression left on serious racers (take some time and learn/get this stuff down).

For your first event give the racers a Reason to come out and throw down... Something to remember the place by and to come back ie; have an event in conjunction with a big PRP drag race event, nice Trophies or Plaques (especially for kids/sportsman/beginner classes).

Any event you do, have PRP announce the fact to the drag race fans and show new people the hobby and what's offered, thereby building a core group of racers from the ground up. Best of Luck
Old 03-22-2011, 07:32 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Raffle

Hey Adam, I'll be up for a ticket tomorrow. Either through the day or after work as I didn't have any cash on me on Saturday when I picked up the fuel. Winning an SS would be AWESOME!! I rarely win anything but am willing to support the cause. Keep us posted on PRP progress
Old 03-23-2011, 04:28 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default GOOD JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad to see more tracks in PA.Now R/C Pennsylvanians have NO reason to complain about not having any tracks around.I wish MUCH luck with the track and Ill be down to race!!!!!1
Old 03-23-2011, 04:46 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I'll setup the gopro hd on my mugen to film a few laps around the track when Adam gets it together. Might need someone better than me to get some good videos though
Old 03-23-2011, 08:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)
Exclamation

Originally Posted by CJ Weaver
Agreed.. 1/18th?? Really? I still want to know how you guys plan on doing multiple tracks?? Is there gonna be a track crew or something?
Old 03-23-2011, 09:29 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by rob martin
Agreed.. 1/18th?? Really? I still want to know how you guys plan on doing multiple tracks?? Is there gonna be a track crew or something?
the 1/18th scale cars will be ran on the small oval not on the off road coarse. the off road coarse will have 1/10 to 1/5th scale on it and there is no track crew because they way it is designed, i dont need 1. the way the track is gonna be ran this year will be nothing like last year. the best thing to do is forget last year even happened because nothing is going to be the same.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:50 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Adam - out of curiosity, how do you plan on setting up a track for both 1/10 and 1/5? Lane widths for 1/10 track should be in the 10-15 foot range, but for 1/5 you're looking at 25-30 feet.

Keep us updated on start dates and such - I'm always interested in getting into a new venue!

I'll also back up the others in saying that Sunday is a good move - Smithton hole used to get a decent amount of people when they ran on Sundays, even with the sub-par facilities. With the Saturday schedule already flooded with other outdoor tracks in the region, I think Sunday would be the better option since I believe only 281 will be running Sundays currently.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:51 AM
Tech Rookie

After reading on this site for a while and seeing that there is a track opening near where I live I figured I would join and add to the discussion.

I am mostly excited about the rock crawling courses but the off road track sounds good as well. I have a few nitros that I wouldn't mind bringing out.

One thing that I wanted to point out is about the current topic of track width. I don't know where the numbers of 25-30 feet lanes for fifth scales come form but that is not entirely accurate. The actual recommendation of width depends on the number of cars you are planning on running at one time. 3-5 cars would have lanes of 12-15 feet, 6 or more cars would be 16+. I found these lane width recommendations by simply googling it and reading sites regarding track building. If you have 4 good drivers on a course running baja's then 12 ft lanes would be fine. If you are planning on running more then 6 at a time the 12ft would be really tight and probably won't work. It all also depends on the skill of the drivers.

Just my .02
Old 03-23-2011, 12:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default SUNDAY'S

+1 FOR 1/8 TRACK AND SUNDAY'S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.