R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Track Locator Forum

Old 03-23-2011, 01:32 PM   #16
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Lane width won't be my issue, but the ruts made by the 5th scales would. Which leads me into this random thought. What if the race program was similar to that new track going in in ohio? Have a [email protected] track and have one killer race a month for 1/8 scales. Let the other larger or smaller scales race another week in the month? Then rebuild/freshen up the track for the next months large 1/8 race, and do it again. Many problems would get solved that way.
rcscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:35 AM   #17
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PADIRTLMJUNKIE View Post
+1 FOR 1/8 TRACK AND SUNDAY'S
PRP is open Thursdays for t-n-t and moto practice and Saturdays for racing and moto practice. There are Fridays and Sundays that races are held on though throughout the year but not on a weekly basis.

I would say you can expect a Thursday practice, Saturday race schedule for the rc's since the facility is completely staffed those days.
wishmasstir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:33 PM   #18
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishmasstir View Post
PRP is open Thursdays for t-n-t and moto practice and Saturdays for racing and moto practice. There are Fridays and Sundays that races are held on though throughout the year but not on a weekly basis.

I would say you can expect a Thursday practice, Saturday race schedule for the rc's since the facility is completely staffed those days.
im not sure on schedule yet but we will prob start on thurs and sat and once i see the turn out what classes need to be set up ill sched accordingly. if we have to we could be there everyday. ill keep u posted on here. i have been out there everyday working and things are coming along very well. i have a machine showing up tom and the rock crawling coarse will be started on sat. the drivers stand is leveled and the new 1 should be built by the weekend. ill be out there sat so if you want stop by and check out the progress.
Adam SMYH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:30 AM   #19
Tech Initiate

just to let you guys know i will be having 1/10th scale truck pulls this year also because i just got the word yest that i will be buying a sled in the next week so this will be 1 more thing we can play with and have alot of fun with. the drivers stand is almost done after yest and we started on the scale crawling coarse yest also. the off road coarse is still to wet to get on and start moving dirt but it should try over the next day or two so i can start building the jumps. more dirt got hauled in yest so im ready as soon as it dries out. and thanks to the guys that showed up and helped yest
Old 03-28-2011, 08:29 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rob martin
Unhappy

Correct me if im wrong but you guys plan on running 1/5th/1/8th and 1/10th on the same track? I asked this question before which was is there going to be a track crew?? I just dont know how u plan on having truck pulls and multiple things going on with a 1 man crew? If u go to mcculloughs or any other established race facility you'll see several guys helping with the track etc and thats 1 track not several... Im trying to be positive about this place but it seems like more of a dream/basher fest than a real race facitily... I guess there's so many things that can be said but IMO you've to crawl before you can walk and i dont think having 5+ things going on is the answer...It just sucks that ultimate opportunities are given and this is the results so far... I think someone with some race experience needs to speak to the tedescos cause i can see this going downhill really quick. Last year was a bust and from the introduction of this year i see things going down the same road. Oh well

~Ridgeway bodies~B-Fast Performance Diffs~Flying Farmer Traction Sauce

Last edited by rob martin; 03-28-2011 at 08:45 PM.
rob martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:22 PM   #21
Tech Apprentice

Hi Adam my name is Rick. You have a great opportunity bring the West Coast to the East. Ive heard of your resources to complete this project. Im not sure how much competition race experience you have but ive been racing competitive since 1983 and i can assure you that the RC competition racing market is thin at best. You have to go with whats hot and yeah its nice to own a 1/18 scale and 1/5 scale car but its not going to draw a competitive crowd. For one the cost for 1/5 scale cars are way over the top. And what about parts when someone breaks will you have a full line of parts for something like that, and the same thing with 1/18 scale. Most Hobby Shops have on stock 1/10 and 1/8 scale stuff because it sales. as a hobby shop owner you cant afford to have that setting on your shelf because most likely you are going to eat those parts i promise you that. Take a pole of 1/5 scale racers that will be regulars week in and week out at your track. see for your self. most of the guys around here that own a 1/5 scale are back yard bashers and have never raced in a organized race to date. Look its just not possible to run these cars on the same track. You need people with race experience to build and promote this track. If you dont have that then its not going to work. RC Tech is not going to get it done alone with out real racers support!
Old 03-29-2011, 04:33 AM   #22
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob martin View Post
Correct me if im wrong but you guys plan on running 1/5th/1/8th and 1/10th on the same track? I asked this question before which was is there going to be a track crew?? I just dont know how u plan on having truck pulls and multiple things going on with a 1 man crew? If u go to mcculloughs or any other established race facility you'll see several guys helping with the track etc and thats 1 track not several... Im trying to be positive about this place but it seems like more of a dream/basher fest than a real race facitily... I guess there's so many things that can be said but IMO you've to crawl before you can walk and i dont think having 5+ things going on is the answer...It just sucks that ultimate opportunities are given and this is the results so far... I think someone with some race experience needs to speak to the tedescos cause i can see this going downhill really quick. Last year was a bust and from the introduction of this year i see things going down the same road. Oh well
you need to forget last year even happened and because like i said before that myself and the tedescos have many resourses and im not the only one that is out there working, thats what i mean about having resources. once the tracks are built maintance will not be an issue because of the equipment that i will be able to use. the rock crawling coarses will be ran by a guy that took 2nd at nationals last year so these coarses will be built to sanction specs so we will have sanctioned events there. the pulling strip, there is hardly any maintance there. all that needs done is it will need the drag ran over it and alittle bit of raking which will be done by me and the guys that are pulling. the off road coarse will be maintained by me in between classes and same with the oval coarse. as far as running 1/10, 1/8, and 1/5 on the same track, i will be moving a few pipes to block off part of the track to run the smaller classes just like you see at indoor tracks when they take a few mins and change the oval into the road coarse. i will have a be able to set up the classes accordingly when we get it up and running and we see what we have running. this will be a good year as long as the weather is on our side.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:46 AM   #23
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

"the pulling strip, there is hardly any maintance there. all that needs done is it will need the drag ran over it and alittle bit of raking which will be done by me and the guys that are pulling."

As a director in the NR/CTPA (National Radio Control Truck Pulling Association) I have to say that that is quite a big oversight. At our events, each dirt track requires about 4-6 hours of prep before each event so there is a surface that will last consistently throughout the event - combine that with maintenance (watering/repair) between rounds, and raking/dragging after every single run. Each track at our events takes at least 3 people per track (a timekeeper/scorekeeper, a head track official, and a measurement/sled guy) to run smoothly.

Just out of curiosity, what timing system and what scoring software will be used on the various coUrses?
carcrusher46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:45 AM   #24
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrusher46 View Post
"the pulling strip, there is hardly any maintance there. all that needs done is it will need the drag ran over it and alittle bit of raking which will be done by me and the guys that are pulling."

As a director in the NR/CTPA (National Radio Control Truck Pulling Association) I have to say that that is quite a big oversight. At our events, each dirt track requires about 4-6 hours of prep before each event so there is a surface that will last consistently throughout the event - combine that with maintenance (watering/repair) between rounds, and raking/dragging after every single run. Each track at our events takes at least 3 people per track (a timekeeper/scorekeeper, a head track official, and a measurement/sled guy) to run smoothly.

Just out of curiosity, what timing system and what scoring software will be used on the various coUrses?
what i will do at first will be an open house for all the different coarses probably on different days to see the turn out of people and then i can schedule accordingly and there are plenty of days in the week to where i can have different classes running on different days and as far as the maintaince on the tracks this will be done during the day before the event even opens and when i schedule practice or events i will have the proper people in the proper places. and when i said very little maintaince im comparing it to the off road coarse and oval coarses

Last edited by Adam SMYH; 03-29-2011 at 11:55 AM.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:31 PM   #25
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to CJ Weaver

When you open up a magazine and look at the national events...how many of those tracks run 1/18, 1/5, and have R/C tractor pulling? Just saying...
CJ Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:54 PM   #26
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Weaver View Post
When you open up a magazine and look at the national events...how many of those tracks run 1/18, 1/5, and have R/C tractor pulling? Just saying...
My point exactly! Its hard to run one. Look i see it like this Race Way Park is big enough for more the one track so why dont a group of expert racers make another proposal to bring in a track thats dedicated to 1/10 & 1/8 scale racers that will draw huge crowds and Big Name Racers.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:28 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam SMYH View Post
you need to forget last year even happened and because like i said before that myself and the tedescos have many resourses and im not the only one that is out there working, thats what i mean about having resources. once the tracks are built maintance will not be an issue because of the equipment that i will be able to use. the rock crawling coarses will be ran by a guy that took 2nd at nationals last year so these coarses will be built to sanction specs so we will have sanctioned events there. the pulling strip, there is hardly any maintance there. all that needs done is it will need the drag ran over it and alittle bit of raking which will be done by me and the guys that are pulling. the off road coarse will be maintained by me in between classes and same with the oval coarse. as far as running 1/10, 1/8, and 1/5 on the same track, i will be moving a few pipes to block off part of the track to run the smaller classes just like you see at indoor tracks when they take a few mins and change the oval into the road coarse. i will have a be able to set up the classes accordingly when we get it up and running and we see what we have running. this will be a good year as long as the weather is on our side.

Thats the biggest issue right there. How is a 1/10 scale buggy going to handle the ruts that a 1/5th scale will do to a track? Okay ive let go of the past but fast forward to 2011... When i here 1/5th running on the same track as 1/10 that is unheard of and doesnt sound any better than when chris was handling things. I really would like to support this place but i just dont see how some of these things are gonna be possible.

Last edited by rob martin; 03-30-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:45 PM   #28
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob martin View Post
Thats the biggest issue right there. How is a 1/10 scale buggy going to handle the ruts that a 1/5th scale will do to a track? Okay ive let go of the past but fast forward to 2011... When i here 1/5th running on the same track as 1/10 that is unheard of and doesnt sound any better than when chris was handling things. I really would like to support this place but i just dont see how some of these things are gonna be possible.
how can make a judgement when i dont even have the tracks built yet. the 1/5th scales will be ran on a different nites than the 1/8th and 1/10th scale and there is plenty of equipment there to take care of the ruts. you dont even know how im going to run it and your bashing it. all i can say is come out and see it with your own eyes and then make your judgements
Old 03-30-2011, 03:55 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam SMYH View Post
how can make a judgement when i dont even have the tracks built yet. the 1/5th scales will be ran on a different nites than the 1/8th and 1/10th scale and there is plenty of equipment there to take care of the ruts. you dont even know how im going to run it and your bashing it. all i can say is come out and see it with your own eyes and then make your judgements
It just seems unrealistic the way your going about things. It just seems more like a dream rather than a organized race facility. I feel like if you were going to have several cars running the 1/10 and 1/8th would probaly run on the same track and the 1/5th on a separate.... Im not trying to bash and im sure thats how it sounds nor do Ive anything pesonal against you. ..Your going to do constant maintenance to switch back from 1/5ths to 1/10,1/8ths to run? Equipment or not thats alot of work!... I just know 1 thing and maybe others wont speak up but I'll, 1/10's and 1/5ths on the same track is insane and its not going to work(atleast for the 1/10's) Ill leave this subject alone at this point. Good luck.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:47 PM   #30
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Alright, I have to ask some questions. Adam, how old are you? How long have you been in RC? Have you ever raced before? Do you work a full time job outside of the all the track maintenance that you will be doing or are you just fortunately rich?