R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Track Locator Forum

Old 04-06-2012, 03:09 PM   #526
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Was out to track & staked off nitro pit & walk platform behind it. Now think pit should maybe be 3' wide & platform could also be 3' ? With these measurements (6' total width), you still maintain a 10' wide track & don't have to even cut much of the hill away behind it. Also think that tree on corner is goin' to be a issue ? Even pulling stand closer to track. Just some thoughts?
Sportin' Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:39 PM   #527
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportin' Wood View Post
As of now, I work this Sat. & I'm off next Sat. & work Sun. 2-11pm. Jim, we could get together either day if ya like. Earlier Sunday of course. I might try to run out today (Fri) to get some measurements on nitro pit/walking base, approx. 5-6' ?
2' for pit ramp & 3-4' walking/standing platform (all widths) Need to keep track widths 10-12', see how that hill plays into those measurements. I'll get with you then on our thoughts for the stand design. Oh, if enough lumber left over, a small roof/shade structure could possibly be built!!! Shawn would also like a small structure built to place computer.

Take Care & everyone have a nice Easter !
Eric
Eric,
I agree, the tree is an issue. That's why I had the the stand pushed to the left of center on the original layout. Shawn asked that the track toward the airport be extended and that the tree may need to be relocated. That is when the stand was moved to be in the center and sightline obstructed by the tree was not an issue. If the tree is staying we are going to have to try something else. On the current layout 10 ft lane widths are the min & max. If wider lanes are desired, then the runline length will decrease considerably from 825 ft. How about we meet there next Saturday to discuss alternatives? On the shade structure, I was just picking at Shawn on the fact that old guys(ME), may have trouble enduring the sun while on the stand. I'm sure a couple advertising umbrellas mounted on the stand would work fine. They could be stored at the end of raceday and no unsightly structure to upset the owner. Anyone, please post on your thoughts.
Thanks,
Jim
Old 04-07-2012, 03:05 AM   #528
Tech Regular

On the fact that old guys(ME), may have trouble enduring the sun while on the stand.

+1, from another "old man" got my neck & face burnt last week mowing @ work for 8 hrs. Too long to be on mower! Finally able to sit comfortably
Take care
Old 04-08-2012, 04:45 AM   #529
Tech Adept

Default Happy Easter!

Hope you all have a great day with your families. Talk to you guys next week and hopefully the weather will cooperate and permit us to reach our goals. Would it be possible to have some guys post up to get an idea on how many may be available to help out with both the stand and/or track construction?

Thanks,
Jim
Old 04-09-2012, 02:50 PM   #530
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I could help if my work schedule permits. sounds like you guys have worked hard on the planning part of it already..
Hobbywing
outacontrol3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:52 PM   #531
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by outacontrol3 View Post
I could help if my work schedule permits. sounds like you guys have worked hard on the planning part of it already..
Help would be GREATLY apreciated ! We have some ideas (open to more suggestions) & now to transfer that from paper/theory to dirt & wood. As of now, Saturday looks like it's the better day this weekend. We'll keep posting on here & I beleive nitro pit & walkway could be our first undertaking. Power tools ie: Drills & I have chopsaw I can bring & shovel, maddox, hammer wouldn't hurt. If something missing my home place is just down the road.

Also got my hands on a large barrel for garbage & have one more on the way when empty.

Take care & hope to see you Sat.
Eric
Old 04-09-2012, 05:21 PM   #532
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Quote:
Help would be GREATLY apreciated ! We have some ideas (open to more suggestions) & now to transfer that from paper/theory to dirt & wood. As of now, Saturday looks like it's the better day this weekend. We'll keep posting on here & I beleive nitro pit & walkway could be our first undertaking. Power tools ie: Drills & I have chopsaw I can bring & shovel, maddox, hammer wouldn't hurt. If something missing my home place is just down the road.

Also got my hands on a large barrel for garbage & have one more on the way when empty.

Take care & hope to see you Sat.
Eric

what else should i get before sat?
Team T2C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:31 PM   #533
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team T2C View Post
How about a chainsaw and a wood chipper! HA-HA!!
Old 04-10-2012, 03:55 AM   #534
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team T2C View Post
If we could get those stacks of wood forklifted down closer that would be great. If not I can load on truck some & haul down.

Shawn, will you be able to make it anytime Sat. ? I don't want to do anything that doesn't meet your approval. I'll stop out at shop & go over it with you.

Hey Jim, we can just run up to rental shop
Old 04-10-2012, 03:15 PM   #535
Tech Adept

Quote:
If we could get those stacks of wood forklifted down closer that would be great. If not I can load on truck some & haul down.

Shawn, will you be able to make it anytime Sat. ? I don't want to do anything that doesn't meet your approval. I'll stop out at shop & go over it with you.

Hey Jim, we can just run up to rental shop

Great Idea! And put it on Shawn's account right! Along with the dozer and skid steer. We'll be ready to run Sat night. I'm goin to the shop now to get the trucks prepped! Only a few days left, amd I can't wait.
IS IT TIME TO WAKE UP YET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-10-2012, 03:32 PM   #536
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

track down any clay for the track yet?
Hobbywing
outacontrol3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:58 PM   #537
Tech Adept

I believe the plan is to start with rebuilding the stand, ntro ramp, and steps down to the track on Sat. Eric,Tim, Bruce and I will be there, and anyone else who would like to lend a hand, it would be greatly appreciated. As far as the clay, I think the plan is to pile-up any good material off to the side and push the subgrade material from the existing jumps to shape the new enlarged perimeter. Then, start dressing the top and see how much more is needed. We do have clay available, just need to let the contractor know how many loads we need to finish up. Can't wait to have nice 12 ft lanes. Should be awesome!!
Old 04-12-2012, 02:31 PM   #538
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

How soon you guys gonna be able to race??? Your about 20 mins from me! Getting itchy to race with all the tracks opening!!!
Old 04-13-2012, 04:20 AM   #539
Tech Regular

Default Saturday Start Time ?

Anyone showing up Sat. Please post a time you might be there.
I'm hoping to be there around 9-9:30 am or earlier if more want to ?

Shawn, Jim Z. left message about piping up @ Murray's. Can't haul on Sat. due to the "2" barrels I'm delivering + tools for work day. Think we'll wait till we get some track work done. Need to contact Dean before picking them up,
he's the property owner (Kerry's grandfather).

Jim, hope you're still as "GITTY" as your one post sounded ? I take it, it isn't coming from "Nitro Fumes" Converted

Shawn, thought of some stuff we might need: Bandaids & BenGay
"Hardly Able Construction" at your service
Old 04-13-2012, 05:23 AM   #540
Tech Adept

Default Saturday

Eric,
1. We should be there 9:00 or before also.
2. I still have one nitro left, so I'll still get my dose of fumes on occasion!
3. We are going to try to bring the survey equip also to stake new perimeter and anything else that would be helpful at this point. That also depends on whether we have enough vehicle room left after loading the other tools and if the lathe stakes are delivered to our shop today as planned.
4. Do we have all the lumber and hardware we need for your stand/stair layout?