R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Track Locator Forum

Old 01-22-2011, 02:42 PM   #106
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary NJ View Post
Wow - how did I miss this thread until it got to page 7?

Living in NW Bergen County, and speaking selfishly, a track in Passaic County sounds like a great idea.

My two cents:

- While I LOVE and race nitro, I think indoor nitro is a suicidal idea from a business point of view. Getting landlords and town officials to let you open as an electric track will be more than enough work. And if you go nitro, kiss electric, rentals, birthday parties, scouts etc goodby...you will have a 15,000 square foot building, empty in the summer, that has a fickle set of racers as it's only potential customers.

- Start very small, and see what works and what doesn't - neither you, me, Aldo nor any else can guarantee ahead of time what will work. People who tell you 'you can't lose opening a track' have never opened or run anything...these kind of folks will help you make a small fortune -- as long as you have a large fortune to start with.

- It's not about getting a slice of the existing racer pie...it's about baking your own new pie. While the existing racing base may provide a first set of instantly available customers, it would be very hard to keep something even remotely retail/upscale going in NNJ with just the existing racer base to support you. If you want to build a racer-only track, I'd try and go really low rent - think Paterson, not Fairfield - keep the expenses to an absolute minimum and run it more like a club. Nothing wrong with that as a business plan, as long as you are comfortable with those limitations. It could work, done right.

- Be really honest and clear with yourself about what kind of time you want to spend, what kind of customers you want, and what kind of vibe you want to maintain, and then make that happen. There is no right and wrong answer here, just what is right for you. Since I don't know who you are, I don't know what that might be. I do know that there is no way you could keep even just the people that have posted so far on this thread happy. I know most of them, and even with a group that has this much in common (active racers, read RC forums on the internet, etc) they are still all over the map.

- In my experience the vibe a track has is the most important success factor. After all, you'll be in the entertainment business. Do you go to a restaurant you hate, just because you're hungry? I've never seen a track that was successful that had a lot of people who weren't having fun. Creating fun is very elusive, the rules of what is fun are always changing, and it requires a strong personality to keep it happening.

That was probably a lot more than two cents...
I appreciate your 2 cents. The main idea of this thread is to get feedback from people. I myself love nitro and understand an indoor nitro track wouldn't be the best idea.
We aren't looking to cater just to the racer, just like you said, racers alone can't keep the place afloat. Having rentals, getting the info out to kids, catering birthday parties are all things we are planning to do. The area we are looking at is surrounded by high income towns, people with money will spend it if their kids like it or they like it.

Aldo covered the rent part.

As for the vibe, I think it's gonna change a lot. If it's on a weekend in the middle of the day when younger kids are around the vibe will be more on the fun side. Later at night it might be more competitive. There will be track rules and regulations without a doubt. Guys swearing like crazy during the day when kids are around isn't good for business. People will have to be responsible for themselves.
BigGus71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 02:45 PM   #107
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedstryker View Post
HOW ABOUT THAT NEWS.............
The news, well more snow coming on wednesday.

I don't want to say too much now, but let me say things are looking very good.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:46 PM   #108
Tech Master

How about alittle talk of what the vibe is that racers like.

I havent been to a race in a while so i can only go by what people tell me. My main man G-Word talks nothing but great things about the barn and its owners. So theres gotta be some kind of vibe going on there.

More people complain about dirtrunners then any other offroad track. To many class's, terrible track, poor management but look at the turn outs they have. Incredible to me. I do here its great for familys. So theres has to some kind of vibe there also for people to go so often.

If biggus71 needs to create a good vibe in his place then lets hear from the racers whats needed to create that vibe.

Just mentioning these 2 tracks because i consider them the only local tracks around.im not a traveler lol.
critterracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 09:47 PM   #109
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary NJ View Post

I hope this happens - I would love to be able to just practice. The people that race with me would love me to practice, too...
+1 LOL
Old 01-23-2011, 05:08 AM   #110
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I live in south Jersey and travel to lir, sometimes twice a week. I think people will definitely travel to race. Sign me up for 4wd mod buggy, 2wd buggy, sct spec and mod.......
pags30805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:42 AM   #111
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by critterracing View Post
How about alittle talk of what the vibe is that racers like.

I havent been to a race in a while so i can only go by what people tell me. My main man G-Word talks nothing but great things about the barn and its owners. So theres gotta be some kind of vibe going on there.

More people complain about dirtrunners then any other offroad track. To many class's, terrible track, poor management but look at the turn outs they have. Incredible to me. I do here its great for familys. So theres has to some kind of vibe there also for people to go so often.

If biggus71 needs to create a good vibe in his place then lets hear from the racers whats needed to create that vibe.

Just mentioning these 2 tracks because i consider them the only local tracks around.im not a traveler lol.
That's what I'm trying to figure out. What kind of vibe, what kind of atmosphere, what do people want and like. Is it a vibe these places have or is it convenience? Do parents want to drive 2+ hours for their kids to race?
Old 01-23-2011, 06:45 AM   #112
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by pags30805 View Post
I live in south Jersey and travel to lir, sometimes twice a week. I think people will definitely travel to race. Sign me up for 4wd mod buggy, 2wd buggy, sct spec and mod.......
Ok cool.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:38 AM   #113
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

i live in central jersey and was going to travel to pir every weekend until gas went up and my truck gets 9 mpg. now the area where you are considering is only 40 mins my self and other people i race with would b more than willing to come and race. during the outdoor season i travel to hobby hut which is about 1.5 hrs (90 miles). so i think people will travel as long as the track is worth traveling too.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:32 PM   #114
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by pballer2777 View Post
i live in central jersey and was going to travel to pir every weekend until gas went up and my truck gets 9 mpg. now the area where you are considering is only 40 mins my self and other people i race with would b more than willing to come and race. during the outdoor season i travel to hobby hut which is about 1.5 hrs (90 miles). so i think people will travel as long as the track is worth traveling too.
I'll tell you that this track will be designed and maintained by racers. We plan on giving the racer what they want. So we have a feeling it will be worth the trip. We aren't planning on doing all this work and spending money for it to be junk.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:58 AM   #115
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

word of the day optimistic....off to work on my fleet.....
Kyosho RB6.6
tedstryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:03 AM   #116
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

2 more cents...

I race outdoor nitro as well in the summer. I would never race indoor nitro, the fumes are just terrible and it makes the whole facilitly dirty. On another note, mixing 1/8 and 1/10 on the same track is not a good idea because 1/8 scales naturally just chew up tracks. guys who run 1/10 scale dont really like there cars being beaten up by ruts and wholes in the track. A good indoor track has to be maintained constantly and watered frequently.

Just trying to add some input and things to think about.
pags30805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:57 AM   #117
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGus71 View Post
I'll tell you that this track will be designed and maintained by racers. We plan on giving the racer what they want. So we have a feeling it will be worth the trip. We aren't planning on doing all this work and spending money for it to be junk.
just build it and we will come well at least i will lol
Big Diesel Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:46 AM   #118
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Cheese

just getting back to racing, live in the dover area, would ave to buy a sc truck to go off road, but would love a track near by.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:36 AM   #119
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

don't forget there will be a fully stocked hobby shop that not to many tracks across the tristate area can offer.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:46 AM   #120
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by pags30805 View Post
2 more cents...

I race outdoor nitro as well in the summer. I would never race indoor nitro, the fumes are just terrible and it makes the whole facilitly dirty. On another note, mixing 1/8 and 1/10 on the same track is not a good idea because 1/8 scales naturally just chew up tracks. guys who run 1/10 scale dont really like there cars being beaten up by ruts and wholes in the track. A good indoor track has to be maintained constantly and watered frequently.

Just trying to add some input and things to think about.
Nitro isn't what we are really looking to do. As for 1/8 and 1/10 scale, we'll see what happens. If we are going to have the track open every day then we will have to maintain it. I've said in an earlier post that we will have rules, we may also have to have a schedule. We will always looking for feedback and if we can make something better then we will.