R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Track Locator Forum

Old 10-18-2010, 09:26 AM   #301
Tech Rookie

Hello everyone.

My name is Paul and I just wanted to say hi and ask everyone a bunch of questions.

I have 2 boys ages 15 and 10 and myself and we are prepping vehicles to come off road racing this winter!

So, for my 10 year old. We bought him a Team Associated RTR, 2.4GHz, Brushless SC-10. I also purchased a Venom Hard Case 4000 Mah Lipo. The truck is bone stock.

For my 15 year old son and myself, I purchased Team Associated RTR, 2.4 Ghz, Brushless RC10B4.1's. We also purchased Team Epic 5000Mah Hard Case Lipo's for each buggy. These also are bone stock vehicles.

So, this past Saturday we stopped by Bumps and spoke to a couple of the guys and on Chris' advice we purchased Losi BK-Bars in a pink compound (is that right?) and some pink Losi ribbed fronts and new rims all around for both buggies. We also purchased new bodies for the buggies and the SC-10.

I was talking with Chris and he suggested we log on here and see what else we might need to change from the stock setup of the RC10B4.1's and SC-10 to get them "up to speed".

Now, keep in mind. We are complete racing newbies...if that matters. Chris said to just jump right in, but I want to make sure we are setup right 1st.

With that in mind, what class can or should we each run in? And with THAT in mind, what changes should we make to our vehicles? I want my kids to have fun 1st and foremost and learn a thing or two about racing and maintenance in the process. They are really pumped after getting new bodies to design and seeing the cars flying around the oval on Saturday! So, as soon as we get our bodies done and the cars somewhat prepped and sort of have a clue as to what we're supposed to do, we'll be there to race in short order!

Oh, one other thing. Can someone tell me what transponders are used at bumps and where to buy them?

And when I say we are racing newbies, I really mean it. I would love to hear your thoughts on what should be in a pit box, etc. This is new territory for us.
Nor10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:29 AM   #302

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

get the buggies on the right tires (u did), learn your radio, take it easy and make laps. get used to how control works and makin car go around the track calmly, taking note of the correct line. dont worry bout lap times or any1 else on track. dont worry bout jumps initially. its not sexy but u'll break much less and learn tons more than the next person.

thats the quick and dirty version (i'm at work). best suggestion for you is to sit upstairs with the buggy guys (no disrespect to the 2 fastest guys who sit downstairs ). the whole gang will help u with bugs and of course all principles do apply to the track as well. be mindful that u have to have the laps in and take what u've learned and apply it. some of us can take an untouched vehicle outta the box and run well, we could put the winning car's setup on your car and you can come back and say its bunk. need the laps under ur belt.

but above all, since ur on the right rubber (which is 90% of the game), leave car otherwise alone from book setup. learn to drive learn the lines and have fun. thats all u need know.

places like this will fill ur head with any and all ideology. most of it is bunk in some shape or another. u dont know if your gettin ur info from a guy who 'runs for associated' or a 12yr old kid who 'runs an associated' in the court out front.

i think chris is doin tues practice and wed nite races. lighter crowds more practice time for u. have at it.

R

PS-AMB (now called mylaps) transponders. chris usually sells em, but if ur a lil light for scratch after ur purchases he does rent em on raceday. honestly if u go to practice nite tues. leave em out. DO NOT FOCUS on that. make laps.
UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:41 AM   #303
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

The buggies will be in the 2 wheel mod buggy class and the sc10 would be in pro corr truck class...
Old 10-18-2010, 11:42 AM   #304
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Couldn't have said it better. I agree, just get the car's on the track and get a feel for it. Good tires plus the stock setup will get you going.

It's not always about having the fastest car. Just try to become consistent and you'll see how easy it is to get up front of the crowd.
You'll get into the groove in no time and remember to just have fun!

PS: Make sure you try a Bumps burger! It definitely hit's the spot on those long race days! LOL
TomTomTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:50 AM   #305
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor10 View Post
Hello everyone.

My name is Paul and I just wanted to say hi and ask everyone a bunch of questions.

I have 2 boys ages 15 and 10 and myself and we are prepping vehicles to come off road racing this winter!

So, for my 10 year old. We bought him a Team Associated RTR, 2.4GHz, Brushless SC-10. I also purchased a Venom Hard Case 4000 Mah Lipo. The truck is bone stock.

For my 15 year old son and myself, I purchased Team Associated RTR, 2.4 Ghz, Brushless RC10B4.1's. We also purchased Team Epic 5000Mah Hard Case Lipo's for each buggy. These also are bone stock vehicles.

So, this past Saturday we stopped by Bumps and spoke to a couple of the guys and on Chris' advice we purchased Losi BK-Bars in a pink compound (is that right?) and some pink Losi ribbed fronts and new rims all around for both buggies. We also purchased new bodies for the buggies and the SC-10.

I was talking with Chris and he suggested we log on here and see what else we might need to change from the stock setup of the RC10B4.1's and SC-10 to get them "up to speed".

Now, keep in mind. We are complete racing newbies...if that matters. Chris said to just jump right in, but I want to make sure we are setup right 1st.

With that in mind, what class can or should we each run in? And with THAT in mind, what changes should we make to our vehicles? I want my kids to have fun 1st and foremost and learn a thing or two about racing and maintenance in the process. They are really pumped after getting new bodies to design and seeing the cars flying around the oval on Saturday! So, as soon as we get our bodies done and the cars somewhat prepped and sort of have a clue as to what we're supposed to do, we'll be there to race in short order!

Oh, one other thing. Can someone tell me what transponders are used at bumps and where to buy them?

And when I say we are racing newbies, I really mean it. I would love to hear your thoughts on what should be in a pit box, etc. This is new territory for us.
Best thing to do if you can make it is to go to a Tuesday night practice and run some laps on the track. That will help you get familiar with the track and racing in general. Will also help with what tools you will need as most likely you might break something and need tools to fix it. You can also meet a bunch of others that are messing around so you can get more time to pic their brains some and get more help. This will go a long way in helping you get use to how things are done and get you and your boys into the groove.

Pretty much most guys will be more than willing to try to help you out. Tuesdays practice is a great way to get your feet wet and gives you just a little taste of what racing is like and how different it is to run on a track vs just playing in the yard somewhere.

It will be a learning experiance but after you get a few runs under your belt you will have a great idea of what its like to race. You should have a blast as this years jumps are really nice and the track layouts will change every few weeks so it will keep it interesting for you guys.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:07 PM   #306
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Racing this Wednesday

Just a reminder this year we will race every other Wednesday night.
Check the calendar for exact dates.
http://www.bumpsandjumpsrc.com/2010-...20calendar.htm

should be fun.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:16 PM   #307
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Just wanted to say Josh and me had a blast racing Sunday.

Also wanted to say thanks to Chirs and Jason for getting the track ready for us to race on. It was a alot of fun to run on. Talking with Jason seems like he has a few more jumps planned. Sure it will be dialed.
Just not going to be able to make it back till the 7th have to work the next to weekends
Bob Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:19 PM   #308
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I hope I can make a few weekday practices and races this season.
I miss driving the RC8B-E, plus I still need a lot of practice. LOL
TomTomTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:43 PM   #309
Tech Addict

it was fun being back at Bumps. The new jumps are much better, thanks guys!
Old 10-18-2010, 04:54 PM   #310
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 116 (100%+)

Hey all, I'm setting up a B4 that I'm sending to a buddy that will be run for a few weeks on your track. What are you guys using for a baseline not he B4? Curious what you're using for springs and tires mainly.
Glowster21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:16 PM   #311

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Pink Taper front/ Pink BK Bar rear.

'Old Setup', 'Lightweight setup' or new 'B4.1 Clay setup' all work.

R
UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:32 PM   #312
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowster21 View Post
Hey all, I'm setting up a B4 that I'm sending to a buddy that will be run for a few weeks on your track. What are you guys using for a baseline not he B4? Curious what you're using for springs and tires mainly.
who will be piloting this b4?
Old 10-18-2010, 08:27 PM   #313
Tech Initiate

Can someone fill me in on what the Pro Corr Truck rules are this year? i wasn't able to stick around for the meeting after the race.

From what i've heard its:

17.5 motor or stock
any electronics (servo, esc...)
any short course tire
anything else goes (RPM parts, springs, .....)

Is this right? what is not allowed?

thanks guys,
Adrenalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:19 PM   #314
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

anybody comin out wensday?
rregl0612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:55 AM   #315
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenalin View Post
Can someone fill me in on what the Pro Corr Truck rules are this year? i wasn't able to stick around for the meeting after the race.

From what i've heard its:

17.5 motor or stock
any electronics (servo, esc...)
any short course tire
anything else goes (RPM parts, springs, .....)

Is this right? what is not allowed?

thanks guys,
I think the only thing not allowed is after market conversion chassis kits..........like the XXX-CR conversion, lowered Slash chassis, X-6 SCT conversion. Mainly things like that. I think everything else is basically ROAR rules which is pretty much like you posted. Its pretty open. The mod class is any chassis setup, any motor, 2s lipo. Just no 1/8 scale tire setups.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote