Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Full Throttle RC Boonsboro MD.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 12:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

My take is that if you have spec/stock, 17.5/ProCorr, and mod you allow at least some of the new guys come in and be competitive at the spec level.

If you only have SCT stock (anything from RTR up to 17.5) and SCT mod (run what you brung) then you end up with brand new drivers and experienced ones running in the same stock classes, which isn't as fun for the newer guys (never win) or the more experienced (taken out by back markers).

This isn't to say new people won't buy $700 into trucks, or that old pros will run in spec - but hopefully the common sense rule can prevail (since it's hard to enforce).

I think there are two keys. (A) Having some sort of rules to keep spec/stock (whatever name) as a reasonable and distinctive level as possible and (B) have the tracks in the area use the same rules. IE: G's, FTRC, Bumps and Pit Stop all have variations.

The rules could also be based on experience. If you're out-driving all the guys in spec, you should bump yourself up (or maybe a gentle nudge/suggestion from the track directors). It's sort of like playing football with kindergarteners - do you really want to win that one?

Anyway.. I know I don't have the answer, but if I'm allowed input, I would suggest consistency.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:59 AM
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up

you speak your mind very well
Old 01-08-2011, 11:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by goehm
My take is that if you have spec/stock, 17.5/ProCorr, and mod you allow at least some of the new guys come in and be competitive at the spec level.

If you only have SCT stock (anything from RTR up to 17.5) and SCT mod (run what you brung) then you end up with brand new drivers and experienced ones running in the same stock classes, which isn't as fun for the newer guys (never win) or the more experienced (taken out by back markers).

This isn't to say new people won't buy $700 into trucks, or that old pros will run in spec - but hopefully the common sense rule can prevail (since it's hard to enforce).

I think there are two keys. (A) Having some sort of rules to keep spec/stock (whatever name) as a reasonable and distinctive level as possible and (B) have the tracks in the area use the same rules. IE: G's, FTRC, Bumps and Pit Stop all have variations.

The rules could also be based on experience. If you're out-driving all the guys in spec, you should bump yourself up (or maybe a gentle nudge/suggestion from the track directors). It's sort of like playing football with kindergarteners - do you really want to win that one?

Anyway.. I know I don't have the answer, but if I'm allowed input, I would suggest consistency.
Everything is dead on except one part. Part (B) is never going to happen. Each track pretty much has their own agenda and are not collaborating on rules. To be honest, I think the track owners are just fed up with the "what are the rules questions" and have resorted to using whatever works for the people at their track. First, every track has it's local followers who very seldom visit the other tracks. Only during holiday periods or track closures do they venture out. In fact, I am willing to bet that 75% race at the same track and never even attend others. So, the guys usually screaming I would come to your track if the rules were ....., never show up anyway. Now don't throw things at me when I say this next. There is only one common set of rules and it is ROAR. All the tracks in this area seem to be totally against the organization, but at least they have stood up and tried to have put out a set of standards for those who would like to adopt them.

Why do most of the tracks have their own agenda? They are relying on the income to sustain themselves. This may not be the case for all, but it appears that way for most of the ones that I have visited. I do not work in this industry field, but I can tell you that it's my belief it is darn near impossible for these people to keep above the water without secondary jobs. These tracks are competing for the same set of racers and we are less than 10% of rc industries income.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I am with you guys on the consistency from one track to another area track is a move in the right direction.

It has been mentioned down here about a association between tracks needs to be formed to help in this area.The saying come to mind "United We Stand Divided We fall" rings a bell .
Old 01-08-2011, 05:03 PM
Tech Initiate

Exclamation

Traxxas came out with a version of the stock XL-5 speed control with low voltage detection. An innovation for the stock drivers!
Old 01-08-2011, 07:25 PM
Tech Elite

Yea - I'd say you're spot on there with the rule disparity. FTRC and G's seem tight, and last season even alternated days so as not to step on each other's toes. If FTRC runs full season this year, and it looks like they're gearing up for it, then maybe we can see some similarities.

I know for sure that if I can run my truck at two two tracks without dickering with changing servo, tires, ESC and motors each day, then I'd be more inclined to go back to those tracks and not venture elsewhere.

Food for thought for all those track owners reading.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:27 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by cody17
you speak your mind very well
Hey Cody - Brunswick MD eh? You could throw a rock South and hit my house. I'm over here in Lovettsville.

Small world!
Old 01-09-2011, 06:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 162 (100%+)

From traveling around this year, here is what I think the two classes of SC should be:

Box Stock: Everyone must run what has come with the truck out of the box. No changing tires, ESC, Motors Etc. Limit to 2s lipo, or 7 cell Nimh.

17.5: This seems to be the class that everyone is running. You can run whatever speed control, 17.5 motor, tires, chassis, servo body.

Mod: Same as the 17.5 with whatever motor you want to run.

You mainly see the box stock and 17.5. Just something to simplify things.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:26 PM
Tech Regular

J mac your right here at FTRC its basically two of us doin everything we do get some help here and there but we pay for everything out of pocket and im ok with that alf and i will do it as long as we can we love RC racin . ON the rules though brian is right 17.5 is huge and box stock but last year at ftrc it was box stock or mod now if this year we have more guys showin up with 17.5 i would do box stock sportsman 17.5 and mod no prob there but if its the same as last year im prob just gonna stick with how we did it last year.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:37 PM
Tech Regular

Just know we will do our best to make it fun for everyone and will make changes if its for the better
Old 01-10-2011, 12:50 PM
Tech Regular

finally registered to race at motorama just racin truggy this year good luck to everyone else racin oh yeah go villiopoto #2 wins anaheim 1
Old 01-10-2011, 01:08 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by killa B
finally registered to race at motorama just racin truggy this year good luck to everyone else racin oh yeah go villiopoto #2 wins anaheim 1
Kind of weird to Stewart on the Yamaha. He made his way up through the field fairly good though after the rough start. Dungi was also on pretty good.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:08 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by killa B
Kind of weird to see Stewart on the Yamaha. He made his way up through the field fairly good though after the rough start. Dungi was also on pretty good.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:15 PM
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up

Yea it was a good race. if Stewart could have had a better start i think he could have taken it.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:02 PM
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up

Anyone taking their SCT out in the snow for a little fun? might even take out the summit

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.