Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to T. Herwig

Quote:
Originally Posted by rceefreak View Post
Damn B, All this talk has me ready now.
+1
Old 01-05-2011, 08:32 AM   #647
Tech Apprentice

B are you going to allow 17.5 brushless in the stock class in addition to optional tires? Also, optional tires make a HUGE difference so maybe there should be some limitation there so new folks coming out with truly "box stock" SC trucks aren't stuck spinning donuts (and frustrated) on their stock tires while the next guy (who spent $50+ on new wheels and tires) is sticking to the track like glue. Not trying to confuse the issue...just throwing that out there. How are other places like G's handling their SC setup rules for the different classes?
thebatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:37 AM   #648
Tech Apprentice

Getting the SC class setup rules established and posted early will help folks who want to tinker with their trucks in anticipation of spring and summer racing. I know last year there was also some confusion over batteries. Some thought 2s lipo and 6 cell NIMH were the limit and others thought is was 2s LiPo and 7 cell NIMH. From what I've read and my limited experience 7 cell NIMH seems more comparable to 2s LiPo (after the initial voltage burst passes) than a 6 cell NIMH is. Someone running 6 cell NIMH will be at quite a disadvantage to someone running 2s LiPo.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:26 PM   #649
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up short course

i feel the same way about the batterie, tire issues. last year i came to the first race and did donuts the whole time, granted my tires were at about 75% tread. now that i run bow-ties. it sticks to everything excpet ice. And also you guys told that i could run a 17.5 brushless engine casue its in comparison to the 12t from traxxas. but i feel as stock shouldbe able to run a 2s or 7 cell due to the C rating of the lipos.
cody17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:28 PM   #650
Tech Initiate

but for tires i think the traxxas s1 compunds are good for a stock class or prolines switch. or really anything with a realistic tread design.
cody17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:09 AM   #651
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody17 View Post
but for tires i think the traxxas s1 compunds are good for a stock class or prolines switch. or really anything with a realistic tread design.
I like the way G's does it. Any truck with stock servo, tire, ESC, motor - you can interchange between RTR kits. It limits choices and simplifies things for new racers, keeps costs down - but allows people to advance and find good configurations. In the end, the driver is really winning the race.

I think non-boosted 17.5 setups would be fine as well.

All my opinion of course.
goehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:12 AM   #652
Tech Regular

all opinions noted thanks we just want to keep it fair and most of all fun
Sponsors Sheila's Jewlery and Loan me myself @ I Race Team,Stuff I choose to use, Kyosho,O.S ,Hi Tech, Airtronics,,AKA ,Orion, VP,Fuel,Track,G's raceway,McGhee"s custom paint for keeping my buggy"s lookin good!
killa B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:27 PM   #653
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to T. Herwig

The one thing about the stock short course class....rules wise, assuming you'd ever possibly have a cash race here, I'd be a little more strict on the rules. General club races, possibly allow the 17.5t brushless motors just so everyone can have fun. That's what it's all about, after all. The only thing is, if you were to host a cash race, I would be more strict on the rules simply because, the competition is greater and there is money on the line. You want everyone to be on fair ground, and this class is meant to be a class where anyone can just come out, take a truck out of the box and race. That's just my opinion on it all.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:34 PM   #654
Tech Initiate

I see where everyone is coming from on the rules of box stock class. but cant there be a medium of where you could meet the box stock with the 17.5t spec classes?
Old 01-06-2011, 05:43 PM   #655
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Don't take this the wrong way, but spec/stock or whatever you want to call it is now dead because the manufacturers have destroyed it themselves. I think evidence of this happening can be found in the number of people jumping over to 1/8 e scale buggies. Some of us like Brandon and Alf have been around for awhile and can probably attest to the SCT style driving that seems to be carrying its way into the e-scale class. We have tested on a short track indoors the 17.5 to brushed slash motors and the 17.5 was clearly faster. 21.5 is more comparable and you have to gear up about 10 teeth on the 21.5 to do it. This is just on a short track. The short course class at G's two years ago had almost 20 trucks every week. This past summer, I think it was lucky to see half that. I think bumps and jumps turnouts also show somewhat similar. Most of the spec guys have moved up to the pro or 17.5 class. This conversation seems to rear its head every winter about this time and I try to keep myself out of it, but somewhere I always have to throw out my opinion. The way I look at it anymore, is if you want to race and have fun, be glad Alf and Brandon provide the place and just run the class that they put you in. Heck, how many times this summer did Ben run a mod 1/10 buggy with us in mod sct or stadium truck and we all had a good time. Just have fun.
jmackani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:47 PM   #656
Tech Initiate

Well is see what your saying about all the stuff companies have made for the SCT. but im just trying to get a glimpse of what the guide lines of what the rules are. so i know what i need to buy now instead of a week before the season starts. Does anyone know what time FTRC is going to start? Hopefully before May. Im ready to start racing already! or maybe just put the box stock with the spec in one class and just let them run. i mean we are all just out there trying to have fun.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:42 PM   #657
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Not sure of their schedule, but most places that try to start before May usually get rained out in the early months. Where are you located? There may be some indoor tracks running to hold you over until the outdoor season begins.
jmackani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:51 AM   #658
Tech Apprentice

Some 2011 details are now available at the FTRC Website. A fun day is scheduled for May 14th and the first race is set for May 28th. Anyone wanting to help with the track preparations and upgrades can contact Brandon or Albert for times. There may be opportunities to test out the track during the work days.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:53 AM   #659
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody17 View Post
Well is see what your saying about all the stuff companies have made for the SCT. but im just trying to get a glimpse of what the guide lines of what the rules are. so i know what i need to buy now instead of a week before the season starts. Does anyone know what time FTRC is going to start? Hopefully before May. Im ready to start racing already! or maybe just put the box stock with the spec in one class and just let them run. i mean we are all just out there trying to have fun.
Brandon and Albert are working out some rules for the SC classes and I'll post them on the site when they are ready so people can get their rides ready for the class(es) of their choosing!
Old 01-07-2011, 06:01 AM   #660
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (85%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmackani View Post
Don't take this the wrong way, but spec/stock or whatever you want to call it is now dead because the manufacturers have destroyed it themselves. I think evidence of this happening can be found in the number of people jumping over to 1/8 e scale buggies. Some of us like Brandon and Alf have been around for awhile and can probably attest to the SCT style driving that seems to be carrying its way into the e-scale class. We have tested on a short track indoors the 17.5 to brushed slash motors and the 17.5 was clearly faster. 21.5 is more comparable and you have to gear up about 10 teeth on the 21.5 to do it. This is just on a short track. The short course class at G's two years ago had almost 20 trucks every week. This past summer, I think it was lucky to see half that. I think bumps and jumps turnouts also show somewhat similar. Most of the spec guys have moved up to the pro or 17.5 class. This conversation seems to rear its head every winter about this time and I try to keep myself out of it, but somewhere I always have to throw out my opinion. The way I look at it anymore, is if you want to race and have fun, be glad Alf and Brandon provide the place and just run the class that they put you in. Heck, how many times this summer did Ben run a mod 1/10 buggy with us in mod sct or stadium truck and we all had a good time. Just have fun.
100% CORRECT