Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Hill Camp Courtney RC Park Okinawa Japan

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 02:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Talked to Mike, said if weather gives us water he'll try to get the roller out there this weekend and drive it around the tracks.

Ken, sorry I thought that one had captured pins...try jr-0076 or jr-0140 ask Hakmazter which ones for front or rear...I'll look in my instructions tomorrow.

Sweet mod on the 11 tooth...

Definately rethinking the triple, more likely double then single. Would like to run 2 quals of 20 laps and a main with out major damage. Might even pick up some of the LiFe 3800's and run 13.2 rather than 14.8 to slow down a bit...

One thing I noticed off the triple by the time you land the speed has dropped next to nothing, so if you flat land it's about a 6' drop, (anyone else want to drop their buggy 6' on to a flat packed surface 20 times?) if you are in the down side zone (about 2 1/2') you're not carrying the speed to make it worth doing the triple.

EVO V MS heading to Australia next week, anyone interested in a TA-05-ifsR before it collects too much dust?
Old 01-20-2010, 03:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I feel your pain on the triple Jon. I've been flat landing a lot. been practicing the double single but you have to go really really slow to land on the downside of the double. Maybe move the first jump back towards the turn about 2 ft? I'm also re-thinking paulies freakin whoops section. That thing is destroying my buggies chassis. I think i'm just gonna short track that part and drive over the lane tubes to the other side!
Old 01-20-2010, 04:25 AM
Tech Regular

Josh, have you tried all 3 lanes on the whoop section. The key is smooth throttle, I am running stiff springs and 50wt in all the shocks. Seems to work for me. The center section will each your lunch if you get too aggresive. The inside (left side as you are facing it) can be taken a little faster. Definately not a place to make a pass.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:51 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by bando711
Paulie, have you had the procedure done yet? Hope everything is going well.
Yeah, I had the procedure done last Friday. I still have stitches in my eye though (yes, stitches in my freaking eye!) so we'll see what's what when I get them taken out.

So far, I think it was worth it to get this special lens installed. It's not like a normal monofocal lens that only lets you see one distance (requiring glasses afterwards). This one is pretty special, and actually moves within your eye using natural eye muscle input to let you focus at different distances, minimizing the chance of having to wear glasses.

What's crazy is that I was 20/20 in this eye BEFORE the surgery, BUT, my glare issues were so great that if I took the vision test outside in normal light, I was almost blind. Now, even with the stitches in, my glare issues are all but gone, and I'm like 20/25 overall in this eye, so I'm pretty happy - the lens did just like advertised, but I may opt for LASIK or PRK afterwards to get me to 20/20 or 20/15 (My other eye is 20/15).

I can't wait now to get back on the R/C tracks (both on-road AND off-road). With my glare issues behind me, I think I'll be able to translate that into faster times on the track. We'll see.

Speaking of tracks, sorry to hear you guys are having issues with the tripple and washboard section. I agree the tripple is too short, but if the track was built like I designed it, you'd have much less run up and the tripple would fair much better. Having said that, I do agree with you guys though if built like my drawing, guys would be landing in the main straight which wouldn't be safe, so I agree with the descision that was made to avoid that, but it created the problem now of having too much run up, and flatlanding rather easily.

To fix it, here are a couple of suggestions...

Make the first jump of the tripple more verticle, so it throws you up higher and not as far out...

or

We can add a 4th jump on either the front side, or the back side. That'll give you the option to double double, single tripple, tripple single, or if you are brave enough, quad the whole thing.

Just a suggestion.

As far as the washboard section, I think if it was filled in with dirt just a little bit, it wouldn't make the peaks so extreme and would definitely save folks' chassis. My intent was never to break people cars. The sides of washboard section are much more friendly because they are spead out farther from each other, so I think that may up being the preferred line.

Time will tell, as I actually havent driven on it yet.

- Paulie
Old 01-20-2010, 02:50 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by pgeldz
Speaking of tracks, sorry to hear you guys are having issues with the tripple and washboard section. I agree the tripple is too short, but if the track was built like I designed it, you'd have much less run up and the tripple would fair much better. Having said that, I do agree with you guys though if built like my drawing, guys would be landing in the main straight which wouldn't be safe, so I agree with the descision that was made to avoid that, but it created the problem now of having too much run up, and flatlanding rather easily.

To fix it, here are a couple of suggestions...

Make the first jump of the tripple more verticle, so it throws you up higher and not as far out...

- Paulie
Paulie, I know you want make this a downsider, but we placed the dirt in the wrong spot and not enough. A big double downsider would have been better like the first one at Bios, and when they reworked it to a triple, it sucked.

The triple is just going to be a widowmaker until we get it right. Run up is not an issue as neither Ken nor I need more than 10 feet to clear the triple four feet beyond the landing hump. Biggest problem is that we are getting so high (six to eight feet) we are losing speed and dropping almost straight down, so thowing a car up higher than six feet would be even worse. The first jump of the triple tells the tale as it is too steep, you can see the chassis scrapes on it.

We added more dirt to the landing area and stretched it out at one point but that got reworked into a jump again, rather than a landing zone. It needs to be stretched back out at a better angle.

As far as the bumps go, wrong line is gonna be hard on any car and wheel base plays a huge factor. Maybe a little more dirt there will help, but as the track gets run on it'll get bad again...
Old 01-20-2010, 02:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Ken, I've tried all three lines for the washboard section. I have found that the inside is the preferable line. Still beats the cars up. But it's fund to navigate!
Old 01-20-2010, 03:05 PM
Tech Initiate

Your chassis is going to get beat regardless. And the triple is fine you can land it perfect if you control your throttle. I think the tracks are fine, nit picking to make a perfect track will give no difficulty to the layout
Old 01-20-2010, 04:00 PM
Tech Master

I don't think it has anything to do with difficulty, if ten cars start, ten cars should finish without the track doing the damage.

Posted pics on another forum and most of the replies have said it's a crap landing and the drivers should talk to the owners to change it and guess what...we own it....

on another note...
Attached Thumbnails The Hill Camp Courtney RC Park Okinawa Japan-caster.jpg  
Old 01-20-2010, 06:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by 450xguy
Your chassis is going to get beat regardless. And the triple is fine you can land it perfect if you control your throttle. I think the tracks are fine, nit picking to make a perfect track will give no difficulty to the layout
The point of these tracks was to go out and have fun...without ruining your gear. We aren't professionals, although some of us pretend to be I agree that throttle control is needed for the triple, but if you get a noob out there with a new car, he's going to break it. And Jon, even the nitros can clear it without a problem with only 10ft of run-up. The fast guys are going to go for the triple, while us money concious guys are gonna go double single. In the end, it's up to the driver what he/she wants to do
Old 01-20-2010, 07:22 PM
Tech Master

Wise words Josh...but even us fast guys won't go for the triple, it's faster to finish than to not finish....
Old 01-20-2010, 09:46 PM
Tech Addict

I dunno, I've seen folks downside the tripple perfectly so I think it's just a matter of throttle control.

If you want to make the landing such that anyone can just mindlessly gas it and clear it everytime and land perfectly, than that sorta takes away from the prestige of running a 1/8th scale buggy in the first place, for me at least.

IMHO, 1/8th buggies are the F1 of the off-road R/C world, and as such, they should be RESPECTED and require skill to operate. Like in real racing (pick any series), you don't just start off at the upper eschelon and expect to run with the pack. Most who got to F1 cut their teeth in karts, then Formula Ford, Formula 3000, etc, etc.

If ten cars start a race, ten cars WILL finish, so long as the operators show some restraint and not go out of their comfort zone. Like Jason said, it's up to the driver what he/she wants to do.

No matter what we do, the folks who can clear it and downside it perfectly will say there's nothing wrong with it, and the folks who can't or break all the time will want it changed, even if we change it from what it is now.

If you want to change it, go for it, but I hope you still make it challenging. Watering it down for the masses is the wrong way to go though I think. The 8th scale track *should* require some experience to navigate easily. If not, it gives folks no incentive to "level up" so to speak, and the folks looking for a challenge are left wanting more (and the challenge of 8th scale buggies is why this particular operator got one in the first place).

There are 2 other tracks for folks to build their confidence on. The 8th scale track shouldn't be one of them.

No matter what, you will never stop the folks that will go out and buy the biggest and baddest machine out there as their first R/C car, take it to the 8th scale track, and break it on day one - so why try to build the track to fit that mold?

- Paulie
Old 01-20-2010, 10:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Very well said Paulie...except for that little jab at our skill levels! lol There are arguments for both sides, all reasonable to. I do believe that once we can get the drivers stand up, and be able to water the track a little bit, the 8th scale track will be able to provide awesome racing.

On another note...the blitz is finally broken in, and ready to kick some slash ass! Bring it on...
Old 01-20-2010, 11:12 PM
Tech Regular

I will leave my opinions on the triple to myself, I think the track turned out great and is a fantastic place to run.

But I offer a challenge, I will give you 2 warmup laps and anyone that can hit the downside of the triple 3 out of 4 times I will buy a steak dinner. The DOWNSIDE not on the flat.

The triple can be done, I did it several times on Monday, but very difficult to do on a consistant basis. The risk is greater than the reward. When picking a line for a race those are things to consider, Ive made my decision.........and I found tires that worked but I'm not sharing
Old 01-20-2010, 11:33 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

When picking a line for a race those are things to consider, Ive made my decision.........and I found tires that worked but I'm not sharing
Dick, What are they?? Sticky Softs?
Old 01-20-2010, 11:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

I will leave my opinions on the triple to myself, I think the track turned out great and is a fantastic place to run.

But I offer a challenge, I will give you 2 warmup laps and anyone that can hit the downside of the triple 3 out of 4 times I will buy a steak dinner. The DOWNSIDE not on the flat.

The triple can be done, I did it several times on Monday, but very difficult to do on a consistant basis. The risk is greater than the reward. When picking a line for a race those are things to consider, Ive made my decision.........and I found tires that worked but I'm not sharing
Grumpy old man...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.