R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Track Locator Forum

Old 09-09-2010, 08:43 PM   #1171
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to YDBD

my thoughts...

the track layout is a bit too small and technical for 1/8, I think we are using about 160x80 right now.

it is also six lanes deep, marshalling will be dangerous with cars going all directions, drainage will be a issue.

more drainage lines will be needed to go parallel with the slope, not perpendicular

if you sift the dirt, it will wash away, not so much on the 1/10 track. Most of our top soil, and yes a couple times we had few rocks and a nice smooth track on both 1/10 and 1/8 track and with all the rain the top dirt layer washed away. We've lost between 3 and 8" of dirt and we are down to the orignal foundation in quite a few areas on both tracks.
YDBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:10 PM   #1172
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i think the reason so much dirt has washed away is becasue the slope on the track right now is so extreme. its great for drainage but not for trying to keep the dirt. Adding extra drainage ditches would not be an issue and each square on the layout would be 3x3. Like i said this is a rough layout we can change and alter ass needed. but the general idea of being able to change it by just moving pipe i think is awesome.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:39 PM   #1173
Tech Master

right on the slope, but we really can't change the slope and we need it to help with drainage. Otherwise it'd be another BIOS lake. And we don't have any more dirt.

In the old construction thread there was also talk of moving pipes to change the lay out. It never happened, probably due to the labor just getting the pipe to the right length and staking it down. Plus after the track has been run on and rained on the "track" is still there with some pretty drastic elevation changes.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:04 PM   #1174
Tech Initiate

so are you saying dont even try it.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:45 AM   #1175
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperHayden9 View Post
so are you saying dont even try it.
I say you could do something on the 1/10 area, but the layout you are proposing will not fit in the 60x120 that is the 1/10 track. 8 ft lanes are small for 1/8 as our 1/8 track has 10ft lanes and it is borederline narrow. Our 1/8 straight is 150-160ish feet and seems small, and your layout has the longest straight at 96ft or 64ft to fit in the space. We are also talking about 2+ months of weekends to make all that happen. I think a little more realistic approach would be to cleanup/revise the 1/8 track, possibly blowing the 1/10 track away or turning it into a bash pit and moving the driver stand back and extending the 1/8.

I know it may seem that we are not trying to make this track as good as it could be, but we have already spent close to 3 months in the last year building it the first time, and that was being rushed. Granted alot of the foundation is already there, but I would rather enjoy what we have for atleast a couple more months before I even think about doing anything on a large scale.

Last edited by igyrigged; 09-10-2010 at 02:38 AM.
igyrigged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:28 PM   #1176
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

What time is everyone getting there tomorrow?
Z01-T JG O'Donnell SS.21 Powered---FOR SALE
HPI Blitz
Mr. Bojangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 02:11 AM   #1177
Tech Initiate

well, got another proud buggy owner. greg bought one today at rcp. greg and i will be there at about 0830 tomorrow. went today and dug up a lot of big sharp rocks and ran the cars.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:04 AM   #1178
Tech Master

hope to be there before 8...till about noonin.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:08 AM   #1179
Tech Initiate

i think your idea iggy is probably the best, just want to make sure everyone is willing to put in the time and work. greg and i are renting a dozer next saturday and sunday its gonna run 300.00 bucks for the whole weekend and for delivery and pickup. figured we could clear everything again other than the 1/8 track. But we could grate it and possibly take some of the extreme slope out and extend it. we need to try and get a sifting table together. greg wants to use his trailer and box it in, so we can use it to hold the good dirt after sifting it.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:11 PM   #1180
Tech Addict

I should be good to help def on Sat, but may have sports day at my kids school on Sun. I also vote for fixing the 1/8 track first.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:24 AM   #1181
Tech Fanatic

Not that my vote matters any, but i vote to extend the 1/8th track! Good times today guys...
HPI Blitz
Old 09-12-2010, 01:01 AM   #1182
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bojangles View Post
Not that my vote matters any, but i vote to extend the 1/8th track! Good times today guys...
Why would you want to extend the track? We don't have the people or equipment to maintain it as it is.
EX-1.5R Pro, MMM 1800KV
bando711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:21 AM   #1183
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bando711 View Post
Why would you want to extend the track? We don't have the people or equipment to maintain it as it is.
Be quiet old man! We have gained 4 new people as of late, and we shall get it done. Greg and Anthony did a lot of weed eating today and the place looks a lot better. 1/10th is completely weed wacked, although it's going to be destroyed next weekend. But the plan is to move the stand back a few feet and add another lane to the 1/8th track. We have the equipment next weekend so we'll put in the work and get it done. Basically when all is said and done, we will have ONE main track to maintain, and the bash pit (old 1/10th track). Any other ideas on what we should fix/move/improve upon?
HPI Blitz
Old 09-12-2010, 02:52 AM   #1184
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bojangles View Post
Be quiet old man! We have gained 4 new people as of late, and we shall get it done. Greg and Anthony did a lot of weed eating today and the place looks a lot better. 1/10th is completely weed wacked, although it's going to be destroyed next weekend. But the plan is to move the stand back a few feet and add another lane to the 1/8th track. We have the equipment next weekend so we'll put in the work and get it done. Basically when all is said and done, we will have ONE main track to maintain, and the bash pit (old 1/10th track). Any other ideas on what we should fix/move/improve upon?
Add a lane? How do you propose to do that? I was more thinking add an extra couple of feet of width to the straight and possibly the stretch where the triple is.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:44 AM   #1185
Tech Master

True adding a lane may not be the best idea...it would have to be two lanes...I think extending the straight into a bend to the right and then a nice sweeper left run up to the triple.

biggest issue is another 100' of tubing...