Wiki Posts
Search

F1 CARPET TRACK IN HYDE PARK, NY

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 02:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default F1 CARPET TRACK IN HYDE PARK, NY

This is a continuation of the " 1/18th Scale carpet track" thread, as we're expanding our racing program to include F1, and other road course classes.

The track is located inside Rampage Hobbies in Hyde Park, NY.

You can contact the owner Rich, at (845)229-1379

We also have a website, www.rampagerc.com

It is a small carpet track, 41' X 20', on indoor/outdoor carpet ( not ozite)
We have AMB lap counting, with a small number of house transponders, so if you have a personal transponder, please use it. We use "Laps for Free" software, and the computer runs the whole race schedule. Pit space is limited, but we've handled 20 racers on a Wednesday night for 18R oval.

the layout we've decided on , has an angular straight measuring approximately 41', and lane widths of 5'. There are 6 turns, for 4 direction changes. the barrier wil be made of 1 1/4" pvc tubing.
At this time, we have approximately 5 people ready to go for a F1 open class ( any chassis, silver can motor ), and 3 definately for a HPI F10 spec class.

We're open to running other classes as well. I feel there is enough room for a competitive 1/12th scale class, definately a tamiya mini class, a HPI cup racer class, and even a RCGT class ( any tourer, rubber tires, silver can motor, scalish body ), and Associated 18R class.
I personally, have an HPI F10, Tamiya F103RM, and a HPI cup racer.
There is definate interest in these other classes, we just need a few more people to get them going.

At this time, Saturday night is the tentative scheduled night for road course, with sign ups starting at 6:00 pm, and racing starting at 7:00 pm.

Stay tuned to this thread for announcements about opening night and any other news or changes.

We're still running 18R's with nascar bodies for oval on Wednesday night, and 1/10th scale martinsville oval on Sundays.

Thanks for your interest,
Bill Luongo

Last edited by rcracer1958; 11-17-2009 at 06:12 AM.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Martinsville was fun on Sunday. I think we got Randy slightly hooked on the big cars on our little track, we definately got him partially hooked up on the track by the main.

Randy has volunteered to pick up the pvc piping we need for the F1 track, and it's looking hopeful that the track area will be free and clear to start construction of the track this coming friday night, possibly racing on saturday night, at least for a shake down.

i've contacted Raffielli, Alan, and Chris Luy in the hopes of getting them down to try it out.

Hpi ball diffs came in for the F10. Rich and I have installed them and they make a difference, but, with the stock tires it is still a 4 cell car.Honestly, I think it's perfect that way. Either the ready made Hpi 1500 mah pack, or make up 1800mah packs from the venom stick packs. you buy 2 venoms for 30.00 or so and get 3 packs. It seems the 2 less cells take away just enough punch to make the car really driveable, and it will not only keep costs down, but make the racing close.I'm going to try the soft Michelin tires as soon as I can get them, this maybe the final setup we're looking for.

Stay tuned as changes are happening fairly quickly right now
Bill
Old 11-17-2009, 05:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcracer1958
Martinsville was fun on Sunday. I think we got Randy slightly hooked on the big cars on our little track, we definately got him partially hooked up on the track by the main.

Randy has volunteered to pick up the pvc piping we need for the F1 track, and it's looking hopeful that the track area will be free and clear to start construction of the track this coming friday night, possibly racing on saturday night, at least for a shake down.

i've contacted Raffielli, Alan, and Chris Luy in the hopes of getting them down to try it out.

Hpi ball diffs came in for the F10. Rich and I have installed them and they make a difference, but, with the stock tires it is still a 4 cell car.Honestly, I think it's perfect that way. Either the ready made Hpi 1500 mah pack, or make up 1800mah packs from the venom stick packs. you buy 2 venoms for 30.00 or so and get 3 packs. It seems the 2 less cells take away just enough punch to make the car really driveable, and it will not only keep costs down, but make the racing close.I'm going to try the soft Michelin tires as soon as I can get them, this maybe the final setup we're looking for.

Stay tuned as changes are happening fairly quickly right now
Bill
Hey,on the F1's are you running rubber or foam?? Might be interested in coming down>Mario
Old 11-17-2009, 06:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

so far it looks like it'll be rubber on the Hpi and foams on everything else. that's based on what people already have more or less. i imagine for now we'll just have to get by with "run what ya brung" until we get a turnout.

i'll make sure to post by saturday morning if we'll be there saturday night, so no one wastes a trip. Anyone is welcome to stop down friday night to see the area we'll be running in and the pit space. I want everyone to keep in mind we're in a small store and the track is taking up a large portion of it. Try to keep your pit equipment down to the essentials. Rich has a large tool box full of tools he freely lends out...and his soldering iron is usually on but always there.
Hoping to get pics Friday night so everyone will have a better idea of the size. Not trying to turn anyone off, just hoping to avoid disappointment.
Also remember the track IS NOT ozite, just gray, low pyle carpet. It makes traction very similar to asphalt actually, and conditions do change thru the race night....keeps it challenging
Make sure to check in here on Saturday morning to find out if we're running.
Bill
Old 11-17-2009, 02:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Heard from Rich this afternoon..good news....the shelves are up and the floor area we are planing on using should be clear of obstructions by Friday night...so construction will take place this Friday.

I think our first road course race night is going to be very soon.

Also remember, tomorrow night(Wednesday night) is 18R oval night. The oval will be longer (running all the way to the front wall)...wider ( the left side of the track is now 9' wide) and the corner barriers have been made smaller (increasing the width of the turns)

i'm going to do my best to be there tomorrow night...even if i'm late...hope to see some new faces

Bill
Old 11-18-2009, 05:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Great news! Looking forward to it!

How 'bout some pictures?
Old 11-18-2009, 03:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

is there anyone there to run m18 made by x ray ? it's onroad
Old 11-19-2009, 02:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

no m18's that i know of

ran oval on the new track last night....turns are much wider...straights longer...seems faster the cars spread out more and there's less banging around for the most part.

i'm contacting Randy today to make sure we're still on for tomorrow night
Old 11-21-2009, 03:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

well....randy and i did a rough layout of the new road course. turns out to be a perfect 1/18th or 1/12th scale layout, cup racers and minis should also eat it up. it was a little tight for the F1s, and it was getting pretty late...so for now we're still on hold...there will be no racing tonight(saturday,11/21). i'm shooting for tweaking it on tuesday afternoon to make it open enough for the F1s, and planning on next saturday,11/28, to be our first night of on road for this season. Rich took some pictures and is emailing them to me to post, he's also going to post them on the rampage website.

i ran my HPI F10 last night on the new layout with an 1800mah, 4 cell battery. it was very driveable with the stock tires in this power configuration.had plenty of speed on the straight, and the tail stayed in line around the turns. with a little tuning i'm sure it can be made perfect as it stands.so for the HPI spec class, we've decided on 4 cell as the battery, silver can motor. we're still going to try the soft tires when they are available, but the car is raceable as it comes with the 4 cell battery.

remember that sunday is martinsville, 1/10th scale oval and next wednesday is still 18R oval.

stay tuned for pics and more news
Bill
Old 11-21-2009, 10:00 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rcracer1958
well....randy and i did a rough layout of the new road course. turns out to be a perfect 1/18th or 1/12th scale layout, cup racers and minis should also eat it up. it was a little tight for the F1s, and it was getting pretty late...so for now we're still on hold...there will be no racing tonight(saturday,11/21). i'm shooting for tweaking it on tuesday afternoon to make it open enough for the F1s, and planning on next saturday,11/28, to be our first night of on road for this season. Rich took some pictures and is emailing them to me to post, he's also going to post them on the rampage website.

i ran my HPI F10 last night on the new layout with an 1800mah, 4 cell battery. it was very driveable with the stock tires in this power configuration.had plenty of speed on the straight, and the tail stayed in line around the turns. with a little tuning i'm sure it can be made perfect as it stands.so for the HPI spec class, we've decided on 4 cell as the battery, silver can motor. we're still going to try the soft tires when they are available, but the car is raceable as it comes with the 4 cell battery.

remember that sunday is martinsville, 1/10th scale oval and next wednesday is still 18R oval.

stay tuned for pics and more news
Bill

What are the 18R rules?
Still foam on the F1's?
Old 11-21-2009, 03:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

18R rules ??...hhmmmm...haven't thought about it actually. our last attempt at 18r road course was pretty much expected to be a mod class...carbon chassis...foam tires...road course bodies.i suppose for a spec class we could just adopt the existing limits with a gear and body change...i'll discuss it with everyone at the track tomorrow and get back to you.
F1 is going to be a run what ya brung deal for now...except for the hpi class.
so far the HPI F10 spec class is as follows: stock body,chassis,wheels & tires (until the michelins are available), johnson siver can motor, and up to 2000 mah NiCad 4 cell. only changes allowed are the shock (oil filled is allowed), ball diff, and front springs. (these are necassary to get the car hooked up). gearing is not yet finalized. (the battery limit may be changed, as people are thinking of utilizing old cells they have lying around to make up packs...we'll see if there's a major advantage then a limit will have to be set)

Pics of the rough setup of the layout are below.....this is a work in progress and changes will more than likely be continuous for a few weeks . it seemed a little tight when i drove it...so i'm going to try to get some more room in the layout on tuesday. the entire layout may change if this seems too technical....it still has to be fun to drive

Racing tomorrow....11:00 signups....12:00 race start for 1/10th scale martinsville oval.
Attached Thumbnails F1 CARPET TRACK IN HYDE PARK, NY-cimg0001-2-.jpg   F1 CARPET TRACK IN HYDE PARK, NY-cimg0002-2-.jpg   F1 CARPET TRACK IN HYDE PARK, NY-cimg0004-2-.jpg  
Old 11-25-2009, 04:12 PM
Tech Elite

Not what I pictured but interesting!

I will wait till the rules are finalized before purchase a car for the winter.

Happy Thanksgiving.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

made some minor changes to the layout to open it up for the F1s and potentially larger cars.

next saturday, december 5, will be opening night for road course. racing will start at 6:00 pm. F1 should have 3 gauranteed entries. 18r, should have 5 entries, and we're hoping to have 3 RCGT cars ready, if not this week, they'll be ready the following week.

as far as rules are concerned, so far they are as follows.

F1: any F1 chassis, foam tires, silver can motor. there will be a battery limit in the future, but for now, to keep costs down and get a better turnout, these limited rules are all for now.

HPI class is still up in the air, but for now it's 4 cell, silver can motor, hpi rubber tires.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

finally got the new pics edited. the change i made was to remove one switch back between the last two poles. this frees up the area for the larger cars.

we're hoping to generate a 1/12th scale class(we already have 4 ), and also a RCGT class (any 1/10th tourer,stock 27 turn motor,rubber tires, scaleish body), so far we have 3 of these.

we're definately racing 18r,F1, possibly RCGT this coming saturday night.
Attached Thumbnails F1 CARPET TRACK IN HYDE PARK, NY-dining-room-002.jpg   F1 CARPET TRACK IN HYDE PARK, NY-new-road-course-002.jpg   F1 CARPET TRACK IN HYDE PARK, NY-new-road-course-003.jpg   F1 CARPET TRACK IN HYDE PARK, NY-new-road-course-004.jpg  
Old 12-01-2009, 09:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

i've aquired a partial sponsorship from rich. ( he's letting me run his rc12L3 ), so i should have a 1/12th scale running for next saturday night, not this coming one.

i'm bringing my 18r stocker, tamiya F103RM, HPI F10, and should have my Losi XXXS ready for RCGT.
rich will have his 18R, and possibly his TC5 ready for RCGT
Eric is running his 18R, and may be ready for RCGT
Hopefully, Alan will have his F103 ready and Randy will show with his cars

all are welcome, just no gaurantees as to how full classes may be....if you've got a 1/12th, bring it down we'll get a run in for you.
as always, pm me here, or contact rich @ (845)229-1379 for more info

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.