R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Track Locator Forum

Old 09-22-2009, 03:40 PM   #91
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

correct me if im wrong wyd but,im sure that chris will look into the situation with the short course trucks and will do whats in the best interest of the racers,he doesnt want people to have to run out and buy the latest and greatest to be fast, so no worries for anyone questioning running short course this year, im sure the classes will be huge
function>form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:45 PM   #92
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmackani View Post
If the roar rules allow stock sc10 and slash to run together then why aren't the tracks allowing it? We need to get off the the topic of calling it the slash class and start calling it stock short course truck.
Well I'm getting started on what ROAR does because they don't do anything for Bumps and Jumps. Bumps large attendance for dirt oval and offroad has never been enhanced by ROAR in anyway.

Slash class was started at Bumps to get people into racing on a budget. We are not about to change are rules midstream on the largest class that averaged 25 to 45 a week. The reason this calss took off was because everyone has to run the same truck. This is why it is a SPEC class and that everyone runs the same stuff.

No matter what ROAR does the SC10 is basically a T4 with a gear diff with large bumpers, tires and body to be an SCT.

At this point in time Chris is going to keep the rules the same in this one of his top classes.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:52 PM   #93
wyd
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by function>form View Post
correct me if im wrong wyd but,im sure that chris will look into the situation with the short course trucks and will do whats in the best interest of the racers,he doesnt want people to have to run out and buy the latest and greatest to be fast, so no worries for anyone questioning running short course this year, im sure the classes will be huge
Yes he looked into it as soon as the SC10 came out and decided from the beginning that the Slash class will stay like it is. We sold 50 to 60 of them and those people who bought the trucks knew the rules and thats one of the reasons they bought the truck because everyone would be on pretty much equal equipment, except for driving skills.

Allowing another brand truck then changes the class and if the SC10 wins alot the guys that bought the Slash will then either leave the class or quit racing.

We setup the mod Short Coarse to allow the other brands to have a class to race in. Actually this class is setup by me. Chris wasn't planning on even running this class but I wanted to give the racers a class to run the other CORR trucks out.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:14 PM   #94
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

so whats the basic outline for the mod class? any motor,and sct body and any sct tire?
function>form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:40 PM   #95
wyd
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by function>form View Post
so whats the basic outline for the mod class? any motor,and sct body and any sct tire?
Pretty much. The trucks will be the Traxxas Slash, Associated SC10, HPI Blitz, and Losi Strike. Any motor brushless/brushed motor, any 2 cell 7.4volt lipo, any SCT tire. Proline and J Concepts makes tires and then all the ones that the trucks come with would be ok as well.

I'm looking at running some Mod no matter if I have a Slash or any of the other ones. Motor wise I was thinking 10.5 brushless as I would want just a little extra power but not too out of hand as they it will be too much power for the track. I don't need to spend a fortune on the truck to make it better. Just a few little things like tires and motor update and thats about it. Even a decent 13T brushed mod motor would be perfect for Bumps. I might have some old mods that would work but I have to look and see if I could find them. I know I have some 19T left over from touring car racing that should work great for the truck.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:43 PM   #96
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd View Post
Well I'm getting started on what ROAR does because they don't do anything for Bumps and Jumps. Bumps large attendance for dirt oval and offroad has never been enhanced by ROAR in anyway.

Slash class was started at Bumps to get people into racing on a budget. We are not about to change are rules midstream on the largest class that averaged 25 to 45 a week. The reason this calss took off was because everyone has to run the same truck. This is why it is a SPEC class and that everyone runs the same stuff.

No matter what ROAR does the SC10 is basically a T4 with a gear diff with large bumpers, tires and body to be an SCT.

At this point in time Chris is going to keep the rules the same in this one of his top classes.
I believe all the trucks are the same price for budget racing. Like I said, look again at the pro's, there is not one truck beating the other consistently. They run both at Garlands and they are still even. You can't compare them just by magazine articles if you have not seen them both run stock together on the same playing field. Most tracks are not following ROAR anyway. So, if the SC10 was the first to the playing field would there be an SC10 Spec class? Racing is about competition and fun, what would nascar be like with all toyotas. The largest class at Garlands is also slash but no one seemed to quit racing when a couple of SC10's came to race. FYI, an SC10 has not won any of the races yet either. Yes, it's a T4 with a major difference, treaded tires that totally remove any kind decent driveability.
jmackani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:08 PM   #97
wyd
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmackani View Post
I believe all the trucks are the same price for budget racing. Like I said, look again at the pro's, there is not one truck beating the other consistenly. They run both at Garlands and they are still even. You can't compare them just by magazine articles if you have not seen them both run stock together on the same playing field. Most tracks are not following ROAR anyway. So, if the SC10 was the first to the playing field would there be an SC10 Spec class? Racing is about competition and fun, what would nascar be like with all toyotas. The largest class at Garlands is also slash but no one seemed to quit racing when a couple of SC10's came to race. FYI, an SC10 has not won any of the races yet either.
Well maybe if the SC10 was first but it wasn't and they just hopped on the bandwagon because Traxxas was selling so many everyone has copied them.

Bumps was the first track in the area to create the class so I know what it is all about and why we created the class. If the guys running the SC10 are not up front they are either not as good of driver or they didn't set the truck up good enough. The SC10 is a far better truck. Its chassis as way lower, better shocks, transmission , overall suspension layout, chassis is better and is lighter as well. I been to Garlands a few times but if the best guys are running the Slash then it will win but if the best drivers run the SC10 they would win but by a larger margin. Just because it seems even doesn't mean they are.

As for Nascar they pretty much spec everything now. Its not such an open class as it once was. Every year they change the rules to keep the teams more equal. When Toyota played by the rules and where making 25hp more than are American cars Nascar changed the rules to help out the other American brand cars.

I think if you been around the hobby long enough you can easily see the Associated is far supperior in pretty much every way. The Traxxas was made to be a basher truck and was not developed off a 6 time National winning and Worlds winning truck (T4). SC10 also has a motor at least by looking in the pics that you can change brushes in which if you know what your doing can give a huge performance advantage vs the Traxxas junk enclosed end bell motor.

We made the mod SCT class to give other trucks the opportunity to race but if its going to be a problem we will just run Slash Spec like we have been doing.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:53 PM   #98
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

A short course truck class would be fine if it were just all the other vehicles running in stock form and still keeping it at budget racing. An open/mod class could be created for the changing of motors, etc. I understand, it's hard to try and please everyone. I tend to agree the biggest reason for the huge success in these classes is the budget factor. They are affordable, but for the other three newcomers to the arena, it does not appear to be that way. The irony with ROAR is they try to keep it even and ensure the vehicles meet the same specs, and usually the non-sanctioned event tracks run whatever they want to run. In your case, your philosophy of keeping it spec is probably more in line with the ROAR idea. If the idea for mod class is stated as proposed earlier, you are probably going to end up with the same thing that happened to touring cars with the cost never ending. Associated and Losi in the past were racing breeds. Associated is still hanging in there, but since horizon took over Losi, the racing idea has taken second seat to competing with competitors lower end products range.
jmackani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:43 PM   #99
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Holy [email protected] - 7 pages and I missed them all - man I can't wait to get done with everything, and start working on the track. Jason has been building some new jumps. I am really really looking forward to this season - maybe more than any other season. I have some things to work through like when to hold the Christmas Classic - has to be after December 13th - December 18th and 19th seem a little too close to Xmas - I am thinking jan 8th - 9th Do you guys think that is too close to the holidays? We could do it 15th and 16th - just seems late. What do you all think?

I really think the other corr trucks will run circles around the slash once they are indoor, with all the bite. I could be wrong, although that would be a first I think maybe what we should do is wait and see after the first race how to separate the class. Although I disagree that a mod corr class cost more money - based on last year the stock slash's were not far off of many of the mod buggy times. In other words I am not sure you need brushless to compete in a mod corr class, it is just the perception that you do.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:05 PM   #100
wyd
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mckinney View Post
Holy [email protected] - 7 pages and I missed them all - man I can't wait to get done with everything, and start working on the track. Jason has been building some new jumps. I am really really looking forward to this season - maybe more than any other season. I have some things to work through like when to hold the Christmas Classic - has to be after December 13th - December 18th and 19th seem a little too close to Xmas - I am thinking jan 8th - 9th Do you guys think that is too close to the holidays? We could do it 15th and 16th - just seems late. What do you all think?

I really think the other corr trucks will run circles around the slash once they are indoor, with all the bite. I could be wrong, although that would be a first I think maybe what we should do is wait and see after the first race how to separate the class. Although I disagree that a mod corr class cost more money - based on last year the stock slash's were not far off of many of the mod buggy times. In other words I am not sure you need brushless to compete in a mod corr class, it is just the perception that you do.
I don't think you need alot more motor on the CORR trucks. Your right as the times where not too far off what some other classes did. I do agree onlets just race a few weeks and see what is showing up and how things are going and adjust from their.

People might still have a hang over if we do the 8th and 9th. I think any of those two dates would work.

See you Wed night for the oval racing.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:01 PM   #101
Tech Regular

Chris, the boy and i can't wait start running indoors. He is doing well with his new truggy but we miss slash class racing. We will also make the christmass classic too and that January date works for me.

I am thinking the same about the other trucks with all the grip might have some what of an avantage over the slash. I will be running a mod corr truck too, not sure what yet but i will pull the trigger soon on something new and will get it from your shop.
Do you think a sportsman slash class can happen?

See you soon
Pat & Pat jr.
DialedIn-67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:15 PM   #102
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
I don't think you need alot more motor on the CORR trucks. Your right as the times where not too far off what some other classes did. I do agree onlets just race a few weeks and see what is showing up and how things are going and adjust from their.

People might still have a hang over if we do the 8th and 9th. I think any of those two dates would work.

See you Wed night for the oval racing.
I agree, just wait and see what shows up and how things go. Give it like a month and see what the racers think. If the slashes are getting killed than separate them and make a class for the rest, but i would keep it spec. though.

I can't wait to get back indoors and closer to home. also can't wait to try the new jumps. The one we tried the other day is going to be killer.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:10 AM   #103

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

you need less classes, not more. honestly, the only folks that should have their own separate class are kids. gotta get em into it and do so in the right way with plenty of interaction, advice, and help from all of us. what happened at pitstop last fri should never be allowed to happen again...ever.

chris, u silly, i saw u on this thread last wk

17.5 sounds like plenty to me around that track. then again, perhaps it should be 13.5 or even 10.5. take the whole 'boost' or 'no boost' esc wizardry crud outta the mix.

IMO that stuff will only hurt stock and even SS classes, which already do not run in this area. onroad it appears worse since the idea was to slow the cars down and now their only faster than before...ala F1.

eh, as 1 person down my way says now, just shut up and race. have fun.

R
UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 04:31 AM   #104
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Well maybe if the SC10 was first but it wasn't and they just hopped on the bandwagon because Traxxas was selling so many everyone has copied them.

Bumps was the first track in the area to create the class so I know what it is all about and why we created the class. If the guys running the SC10 are not up front they are either not as good of driver or they didn't set the truck up good enough. The SC10 is a far better truck. Its chassis as way lower, better shocks, transmission , overall suspension layout, chassis is better and is lighter as well. I been to Garlands a few times but if the best guys are running the Slash then it will win but if the best drivers run the SC10 they would win but by a larger margin. Just because it seems even doesn't mean they are.

As for Nascar they pretty much spec everything now. Its not such an open class as it once was. Every year they change the rules to keep the teams more equal. When Toyota played by the rules and where making 25hp more than are American cars Nascar changed the rules to help out the other American brand cars.

I think if you been around the hobby long enough you can easily see the Associated is far supperior in pretty much every way. The Traxxas was made to be a basher truck and was not developed off a 6 time National winning and Worlds winning truck (T4). SC10 also has a motor at least by looking in the pics that you can change brushes in which if you know what your doing can give a huge performance advantage vs the Traxxas junk enclosed end bell motor.

We made the mod SCT class to give other trucks the opportunity to race but if its going to be a problem we will just run Slash Spec like we have been doing.
+1 ON this post! One thing that is allways left out on this debate is what about all the people that bought the Slash for the sole reason of running it in a Slash spec only class.The ones that helped some clubs survive due to lack of interest. The people that like myself that has only ran AE in all my ventures untill I saw the fun and the benifit of this class. In that, Im glad most tracks support the class that has supported them. Slash spec! Most people that cry over not being open stock are the ones that refused to support the class because it was a Traxxas. Now that your brand has a SCT you want on the wagon!lol I have also found that most of the crying is from people that A. dont run the class B. dont intend to c.just enjoy the manufacture war game. IMHO long live Slash spec! and hope open SCT takes off as well. JMHO Brian Daugherty
PADIRTLMJUNKIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 05:05 AM   #105
Tech Addict

I don't mind the Classic later in Dec. but, it doesn't matter too much, i can make it whenever.