R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Track Locator Forum

Old 10-28-2009, 12:02 PM   #481

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

brian, hold my old 1 thru to raceday plz. perhaps bouncing some ideas of ya and just discussin the thing will clear your head. really just needs to come down to u and/or chris laying out some rules and class(es) and thats it, done, and as they used to say in glen burnie, shut up and race.

R
UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:12 PM   #482

honestly, here it is. u have spec SCT and pro SCT. spec, as it is, as they are. slight tweaks to rules will come as they see fit. however in the spec class the object should be bout the driver gettin faster and having a place to compete have fun and not feel like their gettin in the way. so it honestly shouldnt matter very much if ur brand of truck has 'worse' tires according to us neo-pros.

you can enforce "bump ups" to pro based on wins, qualifying time % to pro class TQ, gap to 2nd qualifier etc.

pro is self explanatory... only choice is to make it 'open' or keep it 'spec'. honestly i dont think ur brushless system is gonna help you beat a well honed driver in spec trim at bumps and jumps.

if the goal is to make these trucks simple and inexpensive, and a fun time. honestly stay closer to stock. i cant answer the question on tire rules, have to figure that out in time.

R
Old 10-28-2009, 12:32 PM   #483
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultegrasti View Post
honestly, here it is. u have spec SCT and pro SCT. spec, as it is, as they are. slight tweaks to rules will come as they see fit. however in the spec class the object should be bout the driver gettin faster and having a place to compete have fun and not feel like their gettin in the way. so it honestly shouldnt matter very much if ur brand of truck has 'worse' tires according to us neo-pros.

you can enforce "bump ups" to pro based on wins, qualifying time % to pro class TQ, gap to 2nd qualifier etc.

pro is self explanatory... only choice is to make it 'open' or keep it 'spec'. honestly i dont think ur brushless system is gonna help you beat a well honed driver in spec trim at bumps and jumps.

if the goal is to make these trucks simple and inexpensive, and a fun time. honestly stay closer to stock. i cant answer the question on tire rules, have to figure that out in time.

R
This seems like a good solution. The Spec class with all brands should be for the more novice and guys learning.

The Pro Spec should be pretty much stock as well with all brands but these should be the better guys who want some stronger competition. Maybe allow 17.5 brushless in this class if one wanted to.

Only problem I see with this is for the guys who want to run a more open mod SCT class but to be honest not sure how many of them we have.

I think Spec SCT and Pro Spec SCT might be the best overall solution to the problem but I refuse to keep pulling my hair out of this shit. If I want that kind od headache I will just go to my real job. My helping out at Bumps is to be fun for me and to help Chris out. Not for me to be pissed off all the time trying to please a few!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry but this is just the way I feel. I'm laying it all out in the open and not pointing at any one person but just want you the racers to know of all the BS that goes into running a track (for those who think its so easy or just don't really know behind the scenes stuff).

I'm not sure many realize how hard this is to try to make it fair for the majority!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If we close or tracks close you all know have 300 to thousands of dollars of paper weights!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This sounds simple enough but
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:44 PM   #484
Tech Regular

cj50,

What's your name? I'm from Stanley and we go to Bumps every other Sunday. If need, you can def. carpool as we try to only take 1-2 vehicles and split the gas. We meet in New Market. Please get back with me. I thought I was the only person from our area to have R/C as a hobby.

To all,

The SCT is getting way out of hand and it seems that the Bumps thread has turned into the "What SCT class will you choose for me this year" thread. Here is the deal, no sugar coating needed...

It does not matter which truck you have, you will only be as competitve as your experience and knowledge allows. If I beat you with my BLITZ, it's because I'm a better wheel. If WYD hands it to you with his Slash, it's because he's a better wheel. At the end of the day, the best driver prevails! Not the best truck, not the best battery, motor or esc. If I still had my Slash, I would come race that on the 8th and have a good chance to win just as I did 2 weeks ago. Setup only means soo much...If anyone recalls the ELITE 09 race...I had switched around the tires on my Slash and ended up having an oval style stagger setup on my truck and I TQ'd over Schaffer by 7 seconds.

I've spoken with Chris today and we both voiced our opinions and what we would like to see for the 09-10 season @ Bumps. It all boils down to racers realizing that you have to start somewhere. When I started racing in 1998, I got handed the whole year, no matter what class I raced. Eventually I got tired of getting my butt kicked so I asked the local fast guys for setup tips and had them drive my rides to see where they needed improvements and asked about driving lines. The next year, I did great in one class and so-so in another, BUT...I had made improvement all because I set that as a goal. If you come to race and don't care where you finish, then don't gripe. If you want to win, work for it. If you lose with a Slash, you will lose with any of the other 3 trucks. For the beginner, the Slash is the way to go. You have the best truck in box stock form so don't feel as if you are at a disadvantage.

I will race whatever class Chris puts me in. I drive 3 hours just to race the SCT's and what do I get??? No trophy, no ribbon, no gift certificate!!! Why do I come all that way? It's all about the experience! I haven't been to many tracks that offer the good times and the excellent track that Bumps has. For the most part everyone is super friendly and will do whatever they can to help you out. So, if you have questions about your setup or just need help in general, ask someone. I bet you will get more advice than you expect. Offroad racers know that if you copy their setup, they can and will still beat you. Offroad is all about timing and you need to work very hard to be fast.

How bad do you want it???

Bryan

BTW..Thanks Chris and WYD for all that you guys do!!! Bumps is by no means local, but it's my local track!!
Bryan@SMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:08 PM   #485
wyd
Tech Legend

Bryan I do appreciate the support. Don't get me wrong on this. Its just now do I see how frustrating this job is of trying to make up rules for classes and honestly SCT has gone from great to the worst class to try to setup.

Your right about driving to. 99% of the time the best wheel for that day wins and a little luck to. I truely believe it don't matter about the trucks either but it is perception not fact that most racers see.

You and to all others that travel just to race with us I'm glad you do and applaud you for coming to race. For those who just want to race no matter what the class I also applaud you.

For me I think the best overall solution is a Spec Class and a Pro Spec Class. Both of which the SCT's stay almost 100% stock. The best drivers should run Pro Stock and those learning or just not up to par yet run the SPec SCT class.

I feel this blankets the most amount of racers and is the fairest way I can see doing it. Still very cheap racing and good/not so good have a fiar class to run their SCT in.

Hopups allowed would be the same for both classes (Slash alum shock caps and the Strike CVD's)

Maybe we all can agree on these rules. What do you think. I'm heading to the track to work tonight so I'm not sure when I will be back on the site.

Brian
Old 10-28-2009, 01:17 PM   #486

brian, its not so much about gettin all to agree with your stance (never happen as u well know, but wishfully hope for). just call the ball-its ur show.

so with that said and what u said above...

...the man has spoken, those are the rules for this year folks.

R

if folks want to run a sct type truck that doesnt fit in the scope, granted they are not very many in #, they can run with mod trucks (which also helps bolster that class)
Old 10-28-2009, 01:29 PM   #487
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

i really dont know about the sct trucks.but coming from a tc point of view i do say car/set-up is better.example last year i raced tc and had an xray an academy.i was ok with those cars.but when i got the type-r..out of box i was over a lap faster in my qualifiers.in some cases i can say that one car might be better than the other.
i drove a strike and a slash the other day outside on the dirt.the strike had absolutely no forward traction.alls it wanted to do was do do-nuts.slash was way better.
he is selling me the strike and i would like to come there and try some things with it to try and make it better.
and as for stock.i think it should stay that way.just have 2 classes of them.say beginner/pro stock or whatever.the new guys run with the new guys and the fast guys can run all together.
morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 02:38 PM   #488
wyd
Tech Legend

Ok the rules are going to be as follows.

Spec SCT- This is for the novice and the guys that are just learning or are just out for some fun. If your nor not that good this will be the class for you.

All brand SCT trucks (Slash, Strike, Blitz, and SC10) will run together. All stock with the follow exceptions (Slash-Alum shock caps and Strike- CVD's) Can change out receiver and use your own brand radio. Can change shock oils and stuff like that. Must run stock tires to come with the truck. Can add weight. 2 cell 7.4 lipo

Pro Spec SCT- This is for the better drivers, so called Pros or any racer that wants to run against the better drivers and test their skills.

All brand SCTs (Strike, Slash, Blitz and SC10) All rules same as the Spec class. Must run stock tires and electronics for your brand truck. Can change the receiver out to use your own radio. Can change all the standard stuff that comes with you kit like oil, shock pistons, camber links and so on. No chassis modifications. 2 cell 7.4 lipo.

We are going to keep these things cheap. Drivers meeting will be this Sunday to go over these rules.

I think from many of you posting this will cover the majority of racers and keep the cost of racing cheap for all. This has been a hugely tough undertaking and I never thought it would such a pain in the rear but here is this is what we decided on.

Thanks
Brian

Last edited by wyd; 10-28-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:46 PM   #489
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd View Post
Ok the rules are going to be as follows.

Spec SCT- This is for the novice and the guys that are just learning or are just out for some fun. If your nor not that good this will be the class for you.

All brand SCT trucks (Slash, Strike, Blitz, and SC10) will run together. All stock with the follow exceptions (Slash-Alum shock caps and Strike- CVD's) Can change out receiver and use your own brand radio. Can change shock oils and stuff like that. Must run stock tires to come with the truck. Can add weight. 2 cell 7.4 lipo

Pro Spec SCT- This is for the better drivers, so called Pros or any racer that wants to run against the better drivers and test their skills.

All brand SCTs (Strike, Slash, Blitz and SC10) All rules same as the Spec class except you are allowed to change to different springs on the trucks. Must run stock tires and electronics for your brand truck. Can change the receiver out to use your own radio. Can change all the standard stuff that comes with you kit like oil, shock pistons, camber links and so on. No chassis modifications. 2 cell 7.4 lipo.

We are going to keep these things cheap. Drivers meeting will be this Sunday to go over these rules.

I think from many of you posting this will cover the majority of racers and keep the cost of racing cheap for all. This has been a hugely tough undertaking and I never thought it would such a pain in the rear but here is this is what we decided on.

Thanks
Brian
that should work nice brian running them together without having to add too many classses and if a novice wants to run with the big boys and learn the lines they can or even enter both classes and get the experience they can ...sweet
www.facebook.com/thhrc
thhrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 02:46 PM   #490

there u go folks. i dont even think there's a need to address who's tire work better or not. why? b/c u all are gonna want the best truck anyway...and by most all accts its the 1 thats already been around the block a time or 2 and the 1 u have now!

i dont even think u need to allow things like spring changes, but thats a judgement call since there is so much to track already.

but lets all remember that new/young drivers will be happier, and the experts will be happier.

R

Last edited by ultegrasti; 10-28-2009 at 02:59 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:20 PM   #491
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Hey [email protected]

Could I carpool too? I live in Winchester, Va right off I-81. I wait to go too as many races I can this winter.
mp3ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 03:23 PM   #492
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 107 (100%+)

So the Pro Spec is a spec class for better drivers? Does this mean no changes like different electronics and so on?
Old 10-28-2009, 03:26 PM   #493

its what the man said.

R
Old 10-28-2009, 03:48 PM   #494
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

I love it. Sounds great to me. This will be alot of fun. I was getting nervous there for a little bit. So we have a Stock Spec class for beginners and a Pro Spec class.
Bob Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 04:03 PM   #495
wyd
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit138 View Post
So the Pro Spec is a spec class for better drivers? Does this mean no changes like different electronics and so on?
stock electronics that came in the truck. Can change to another receiver to use different radio.