R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Track Locator Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-08-2010, 01:32 PM   #1546
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Altoona,PA.
Posts: 543
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Here is my take on the 17.5 debate...

When asked at Motorama, I had no problem raising my hand for running both 17.5 and brushed together as one and to count as one. For The Elite Challenge, I feel the same way. I still have no problem running both together until someone or a few someone's stand out by running ridiculously fast. If tech is strict, I see no issues. But, I do have a few questions about the 17.5 deal...1. Why do you want to spend $200 on a brushless system when you barely spent $200 on your truck and at the end of the day, the brushed stock motors are still faster? 2. If you want to go brushless, why not go to a 13.5 and make that the mod class? Bumps has shown that 7.5 to 10.5 motors do not equate to faster lap times in SC! 3. What happens when guys start changing out rotors or finding ways to adjust timing and profiles on the esc's that can't be found during tech?

How far are you willing to go to win a sc race? Would you feel more like a piece of shizz knowing that you had to cheat to win?.or..Would you feel more like a piece of shizz knowing that you cheated and you still couldn't win?

Word has it that a certain "green slash" at Motorama was using some altered slash motors. While he did finish 2nd, I still won and did it the right way. There were plenty of 17.5's in the A, but I still won. I'm not trying to boast, just stating the facts. SC is a beginner class that is super fun to drive. While it is a great novice class, lots of pro's enjoy the class as well. I really like how the rules currently are at Bumps as it allows everyone a fair playing field and when you get better, you get to move up to Pro.

I think that allowing 17.5's will kill the "Spec" class for next season. If guys want to go a little faster or run brushless to eliminate the stock esc's, I know I do, then why not create a true Mod class and dub it as 13.5 or run what you brung? I would probably run my 5700 and soften the throttle curve tremendously and more than likely cut the power back to around 60%. For me, it's not all about the speed, but the handling. I'd like to have a mod class for a different electronics package, better tires, and other aftermarket goodies that target handling, not bling.

Again, just my opinion, take it for what you will...

Bryan
+1!



Why fff up a great set of rules?

Example.

Week 1: anywhere PA. Race director: Please all sct drivers come 1 1/2 hour early so we can tech those 17.5's for profile and stator changes.


Week 10: As of now top three in all heats and main will have complete tech done due to all the finger pointing of cheating!


Week 15: As of now all sct are open mod due to all the tech problems!



Week 20: Hey Brian... Yes Mr. race director.... Why do we have so few sct now. Brian: I told you all the changes to [SPEC SCT] would push out the new and little guy's so all you have now is the pro's and there 500$ sct trucks. You should have left [spec] alone and ran a mod sct class for any other changes. Just another example if you let guy's spend $ they will and sometimes its not the right way to go Mr. race director..........



JMHO! What aint broke dont fix....
PADIRTLMJUNKIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:02 PM   #1547
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: No Mans Land, VA
Posts: 361
Default

I love the spec class because it's spec. Open the box, change the radio, get your own custom body so you don't blend in, tweak and tune with STOCK parts, deal with the good and bad that comes with each truck...Shut Up and race. Again, I do want a BL truck so I too can get rid of the crappy stock esc but at the same time, I've learned to not pump the brakes. I still have my stock esc from the truck when I got it back in Oct. or Nov. I don't have much to complain about but maybe I have good fortune.

Johnathan,

I am by no means at the top of the ladder. Wyd, Pat, Bob, Chris Schaffer, Mitch, and Medina who just sold his ride, are all capable of winning on any raceday. Someday's WYD has my number..Other days, I have his. I wish I could race more often as the only place I race is at Bumps. I am lucky to race 2 times a month. I see that Chris has the entry fee @ $25 per class. If this is so, and there is no price break, I'll only be running 2 classes...Mod Buggy and either Pro Spec or Mod SC. I guess I'll have to wait until the morning of the 20th to decide.


Morris,

I have a spare BLITZ motor and esc you are welcome to use for the ELITE race. All I ask is for them to be returned in working order...haha Sorry, had to throw that in there as judging by your posts, you have not had any luck with either!!


WARFIELD, WARFIELD, WARFIELD...

Man, you need to stop watching the Jet Li movies. Heard you layed the boot on the back side of your 2wheel. You better bring yourself to the Elite Challenge!!!

Bryan
__________________
Special Thanks to SMC Batteries l BUMPS & JUMPS R/C Speedway l J CONCEPTS l EastCoast Hobbies/Winchester VA l RC IMAGE l Team NLR l John Schultz
Check out www.rclipotesting.com A very informative site about LiPo safety, specs, and performance!
R.I.P Scott Gregory (Demon Dog)
Bryan@SMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:19 PM   #1548
Tech Master
 
pags30805's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toms River NJ
Posts: 1,026
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohlman113 View Post
Hey John I am going to run Mod SCT since there will be a nice class there and I think you should do the same. These guys have a good turnout with their own rules just like we do at home and they should not have to change them. Mod SCT at Bumps should be a great class.
awesome, Im totally amped about running mod. Have a ton of spare parts laying around. I might rum spec as well. Good Stuff!
__________________
John P
Problem Child Racing
Team Trinity / Epic / Revtech
pags30805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:37 PM   #1549
wyd
Tech Legend
 
wyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Castle Mamba Max Pro. Feel its power!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 21,121
Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd
Default

Since alot of guys are asking about mod SCT here you go. Roll call for all those going to run mod SCT at the Elite race. Just add your name below.

1.
2.
3.
4.
__________________
Castle Creations (Since 2005) Just awesome products
Bumps & Jumps RC (Great Indoor facility for offroad and oval)
ST Racing Concepts (STRC)
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:04 PM   #1550
Tech Elite
 
PsycoB4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Long Island
Posts: 2,507
Trader Rating: 41 (96%+)
Default

Hey guys where are we on this? I dont have my " Original electronics " And Im not going to run mod, because Im not a " MOD " driver. A 17.5t BL setup is Slower than Brushed stock motors. You all can check my esc it is the Oldest SPhere they make with NO timing anything, and a old Novak motor that has NO timing. I dont want to go out and buy all these extras just to run a fun class. Also you say box stock is the way to go, But its not really fair for those who own a blitz vs. a slash. Right from the start a slash is faster than a blitz! 12t vs 15t. So right there anyone with a slash has an advantage. This is just my 2cents on things.
__________________
PsyCo_Chris
WWW.FinalTechniqueCustoModz.Com
Custom Metal Fabrications // LED Lighting // Jeep Specialist
PsycoB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:13 PM   #1551
wyd
Tech Legend
 
wyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Castle Mamba Max Pro. Feel its power!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 21,121
Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsycoB4 View Post
Hey guys where are we on this? I dont have my " Original electronics " And Im not going to run mod, because Im not a " MOD " driver. A 17.5t BL setup is Slower than Brushed stock motors. You all can check my esc it is the Oldest SPhere they make with NO timing anything, and a old Novak motor that has NO timing. I dont want to go out and buy all these extras just to run a fun class. Also you say box stock is the way to go, But its not really fair for those who own a blitz vs. a slash. Right from the start a slash is faster than a blitz! 12t vs 15t. So right there anyone with a slash has an advantage. This is just my 2cents on things.
Yes but the Blitz is well over 8oz lighter than a Slash, adjustable threaded shocks, tons of adjustments, adjustable toe in and so on. Bryan Frymeyer has no problem keeping up with my Slash and has plenty of rip as well. Actually the Blitz shuld whip on the Slash since it has no real adjustments other than shock oil and the driver.
__________________
Castle Creations (Since 2005) Just awesome products
Bumps & Jumps RC (Great Indoor facility for offroad and oval)
ST Racing Concepts (STRC)
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:30 PM   #1552
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: PA
Posts: 968
Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)
Default

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since alot of guys are asking about mod SCT here you go. Roll call for all those going to run mod SCT at the Elite race. Just add your name below.

1.Bob Moore
2.
3.
4.
Bob Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:58 PM   #1553
Tech Elite
 
PsycoB4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Long Island
Posts: 2,507
Trader Rating: 41 (96%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd View Post
Yes but the Blitz is well over 8oz lighter than a Slash, adjustable threaded shocks, tons of adjustments, adjustable toe in and so on. Bryan Frymeyer has no problem keeping up with my Slash and has plenty of rip as well. Actually the Blitz shuld whip on the Slash since it has no real adjustments other than shock oil and the driver.
We are talking Electronics. Not what a truck has or CAN do. A motor is a motor. And the extra wieght on the slash is actually better. Im not fighitng. Just putting my 2 cents in. I see alot of guys complain about this and that. What they need are the " Real " facts and specs of each. Then see where we come from.
__________________
PsyCo_Chris
WWW.FinalTechniqueCustoModz.Com
Custom Metal Fabrications // LED Lighting // Jeep Specialist
PsycoB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:20 PM   #1554
Registered User
 
UltegraSTI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,171
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
WARFIELD, WARFIELD, WARFIELD...

Man, you need to stop watching the Jet Li movies. Heard you layed the boot on the back side of your 2wheel. You better bring yourself to the Elite Challenge!!!

Bryan
came off with a broken arm, bulkhead, rear tower, wing mount, missing steering link, and front shock shaft. so after another racer refused my apologies and called me a dumb motherf***er for a wreck that broke my car more (was stricken after bad jump and in oncoming traffic) and broke his car. well i let out all my frustrations on my car which achieved nothing. well other than 1 motor wire popped off.

R

Last edited by ultegrasti; 03-08-2010 at 05:32 PM.
UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:49 PM   #1555
Tech Regular
 
DialedIn-67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 261
Default

Jason,
Thanks for all you help with the buggy...

Bob,
Thanks for the use of charger, man that was too much never agian..

Bryan,
I need some set up work, but that was fun. I didn't want to get in the way of the regulars since it was my first run with it.

I think the box stock rules work great at Bumps, there are at least 5 father and son that show up to race the SC truck class, keeps the start up cost down and get's their intrest flowing. So far I can't complain about the Blitz box stock set up, my son is still on his box motor with atleast 10 race weeks on it if not more, and he still made that back section yesterday 5 or 6 time in the spec main. I can see both of us getting into the mod SC truck in the future, he fell in love with that truck yesterday and looked pretty good too.
DialedIn-67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:51 PM   #1556
Tech Regular
 
DialedIn-67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 261
Default

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since alot of guys are asking about mod SCT here you go. Roll call for all those going to run mod SCT at the Elite race. Just add your name below.

1.Bob Moore
2.Pat D'Antonio
3.
4.
DialedIn-67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:07 PM   #1557
Tech Master
 
pags30805's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toms River NJ
Posts: 1,026
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

dont know how to add on to the list so throwing my name in the mix, Im in for mod SCT....John P.
__________________
John P
Problem Child Racing
Team Trinity / Epic / Revtech
pags30805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:36 PM   #1558
Tech Addict
 
Sohlman113's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Long Island
Posts: 662
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I am going to add myself and my buddy John to the Mod SCT list. Lets get this class going. Come on WYD and Bryan add your names to the list.


1.Bob Moore
2.Pat D'Antonio
3.Chicken Little
4.John P
__________________
Jonathan Sohl aka Chicken Little
SMC-Racing/PT Racing Oils/TQ Racing Wire/
Sohlman113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:17 AM   #1559
Tech Champion
 
morris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: jersey shore pa
Posts: 5,564
Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I love the spec class because it's spec. Open the box, change the radio, get your own custom body so you don't blend in, tweak and tune with STOCK parts, deal with the good and bad that comes with each truck...Shut Up and race. Again, I do want a BL truck so I too can get rid of the crappy stock esc but at the same time, I've learned to not pump the brakes. I still have my stock esc from the truck when I got it back in Oct. or Nov. I don't have much to complain about but maybe I have good fortune.

Johnathan,

I am by no means at the top of the ladder. Wyd, Pat, Bob, Chris Schaffer, Mitch, and Medina who just sold his ride, are all capable of winning on any raceday. Someday's WYD has my number..Other days, I have his. I wish I could race more often as the only place I race is at Bumps. I am lucky to race 2 times a month. I see that Chris has the entry fee @ $25 per class. If this is so, and there is no price break, I'll only be running 2 classes...Mod Buggy and either Pro Spec or Mod SC. I guess I'll have to wait until the morning of the 20th to decide.


Morris,

I have a spare BLITZ motor and esc you are welcome to use for the ELITE race. All I ask is for them to be returned in working order...haha Sorry, had to throw that in there as judging by your posts, you have not had any luck with either!!


WARFIELD, WARFIELD, WARFIELD...

Man, you need to stop watching the Jet Li movies. Heard you layed the boot on the back side of your 2wheel. You better bring yourself to the Elite Challenge!!!

Bryan
i actually called hpi and told them my problems.they are sending me 2 esc with no questions asked.and i just ordered 2 motors.so hopefully i will be good to go.
thx for the offer though.
__________________
AE/VIPER/XPERT/DIRTCHEAPRC.COM/JCONCEPTS
A big thx to all the tracks that I race at:cause if it wasnt for these guys..we wouldnt have a place to race our r/c cars!!!
morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:07 AM   #1560
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: White Lake N.Y
Posts: 57
Default

New class at Bumps see how far and how much damage you can do by throwing and then kicking your car and it was not even the cars fault! and the poor car can't hit back LOL
__________________
Moving Again and still SUCKS!!!!
cj50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bumps and Jumps 08, 09 season brian mills Racing Forum 1767 10-09-2009 01:27 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:33 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net