R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Track Locator Forum

Old 03-08-2010, 08:12 AM   #1531
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I disagree with the 17.5 killing the spec class because here on Long Island our class which is close to ROAR rules other than battery and tires almost 75% of the SC racers run brushless and we average 20 guys a week. However I too am looking forward to the 20th and if there is a guarantee that there will be a MOD SC class than that is what I will run because it is a lot easier to just change a motor than anything else. So Bryan if you are going to run MOD SC at the elite than thats what I will be running simply because I want to race the best guys there and you are at the top of that list. Also WYD and Pat are also tough competitors at Bumps. If there is no mod class than I will convert my truck back to what ever bumps decides to go with. I hope the official rules will be out soon because I was hoping to run my truck this week with the bumps rules. Thanks again and see everyone in less than 2 weeks.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:40 AM   #1532
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I agree, please let us know soon. I also plan on attending and would like to know what set up changes I need to do asap.
pags30805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:50 AM   #1533
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

im done with sct, raced it twice and its sold, i dont know if 17.5 is faster than stock but it seems to me to be more responsive and more torquey out of a corner, so if i were to race it every weekend i would buy a 17.5 set up, the blitz has that crap speedo that doesnt lock out reverse so numerous times i looped out from double pumping the brakes, so your talking 400+ for a "spec truck" so no thanks ill stick with mod classes, and by allowing 17.5 it it opens up a whole new issue with what speedo is and is not allowed and relying on people to be honest about there profiles, timing curves etc... etc... just my opinion and prolly not my concern since i sold it 10 min after the main.. but i will say it does do awesome wall rides!
function>form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:13 AM   #1534
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

One thing at Bumps is this year we have always had a Mod or open 2wd SCT class that aloows of the extra goodies guys like to add to their trucks. For the most part no one has really chosen to run that class as for the most part running the SCTs close to stock out of the box has proven to be a ton of fun, excellent close racing and CHEAP for all.

For me ROAR ruins most classes and SCT is one. From day one we have ran them pretty box stock and watched the class flurry each and every week and draws in many new racers a year for us. Now ROAR came in and setup the class to be pretty much open like all other mod classes and now once again fogetting that not ever class has to be open. We have tons of open classes so why is that we can't just have one class that is not open?

I figure if the class is too slow or guys don't like the stock electronics they can simply run mod sct. To me the Spec shouldn't have to change to accomadate the few vs the majority (SPec at are track). Sometimes I get lost with guys never being happy with the rules. How about be happy for the places we actually have to race at because sooner or later they won't be around so just come out to your local tracks, run their rules, and be happy for the place to race.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:29 AM   #1535
Tech Master

Rules are Rules...........every local track has them, Im just happy to be racing again. We just want to know what rules we are following.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:03 AM   #1536
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd View Post
One thing at Bumps is this year we have always had a Mod or open 2wd SCT class that aloows of the extra goodies guys like to add to their trucks. For the most part no one has really chosen to run that class as for the most part running the SCTs close to stock out of the box has proven to be a ton of fun, excellent close racing and CHEAP for all.

For me ROAR ruins most classes and SCT is one. From day one we have ran them pretty box stock and watched the class flurry each and every week and draws in many new racers a year for us. Now ROAR came in and setup the class to be pretty much open like all other mod classes and now once again fogetting that not ever class has to be open. We have tons of open classes so why is that we can't just have one class that is not open?

I figure if the class is too slow or guys don't like the stock electronics they can simply run mod sct. To me the Spec shouldn't have to change to accomadate the few vs the majority (SPec at are track). Sometimes I get lost with guys never being happy with the rules. How about be happy for the places we actually have to race at because sooner or later they won't be around so just come out to your local tracks, run their rules, and be happy for the place to race.
i totally agree brian.
well said.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:09 AM   #1537
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Here is my take on the 17.5 debate...

When asked at Motorama, I had no problem raising my hand for running both 17.5 and brushed together as one and to count as one. For The Elite Challenge, I feel the same way. I still have no problem running both together until someone or a few someone's stand out by running ridiculously fast. If tech is strict, I see no issues. But, I do have a few questions about the 17.5 deal...1. Why do you want to spend $200 on a brushless system when you barely spent $200 on your truck and at the end of the day, the brushed stock motors are still faster? 2. If you want to go brushless, why not go to a 13.5 and make that the mod class? Bumps has shown that 7.5 to 10.5 motors do not equate to faster lap times in SC! 3. What happens when guys start changing out rotors or finding ways to adjust timing and profiles on the esc's that can't be found during tech?

How far are you willing to go to win a sc race? Would you feel more like a piece of shizz knowing that you had to cheat to win?.or..Would you feel more like a piece of shizz knowing that you cheated and you still couldn't win?

Word has it that a certain "green slash" at Motorama was using some altered slash motors. While he did finish 2nd, I still won and did it the right way. There were plenty of 17.5's in the A, but I still won. I'm not trying to boast, just stating the facts. SC is a beginner class that is super fun to drive. While it is a great novice class, lots of pro's enjoy the class as well. I really like how the rules currently are at Bumps as it allows everyone a fair playing field and when you get better, you get to move up to Pro.

I think that allowing 17.5's will kill the "Spec" class for next season. If guys want to go a little faster or run brushless to eliminate the stock esc's, I know I do, then why not create a true Mod class and dub it as 13.5 or run what you brung? I would probably run my 5700 and soften the throttle curve tremendously and more than likely cut the power back to around 60%. For me, it's not all about the speed, but the handling. I'd like to have a mod class for a different electronics package, better tires, and other aftermarket goodies that target handling, not bling.

Again, just my opinion, take it for what you will...

Bryan
the readon why i would like to run bl is because i hate the stock blitz esc and motor..granted when they do work there good.but you dont have to worry about the motor getting worn as fast with bl.i personally wouldnt go out and buy a bl set-up just for this class.just so happens that i have a lrp sphere and a 17.5 motor already.
i would like to try it out.but would like to know what pinion is a good starting point.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:29 AM   #1538
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I did a race up in Buffalo in early Feb. The leader in stock SCT had a 17.5 Tekin in a Blitz and lapped the field at least once in the first of two A-mains. Also, a real good driver too - but still, good power out of the 17.5 versus stock Blitz parts. Doesn't it come down to wattage (watts = power). If a 17.5 can pull certain watts versus a stock motor/ESC - it just doesn't seem to be a fair comparison.

Throw a watt-meter on a stock blitz or slash and get some numbers and then do the same on a 17.5 and compare. Since brushless is also more efficient and if it is pulling more watts - it is putting down more power. (wattmeter is on my shopping list this year). Stock SCT should be stock. If you can't change suspension parts or CVDs - I don't see a 17.5 being allowable as stock sct trucks come with brushed electronics.
jmcvicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:35 AM   #1539
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcvicker View Post
I did a race up in Buffalo in early Feb. The leader in stock SCT had a 17.5 Tekin in a Blitz and lapped the field at least once in the first of two A-mains. Also, a real good driver too - but still, good power out of the 17.5 versus stock Blitz parts. Doesn't it come down to wattage (watts = power). If a 17.5 can pull certain watts versus a stock motor/ESC - it just doesn't seem to be a fair comparison.

Throw a watt-meter on a stock blitz or slash and get some numbers and then do the same on a 17.5 and compare. Since brushless is also more efficient and if it is pulling more watts - it is putting down more power. (wattmeter is on my shopping list this year).
very true.
question is that you and i know both they are going to allow to run the 17.5 class with the stock electronics.
i would just want to go to bl for the efficiency part of it.not to get more power.

i ran this past weekend at my local track a lrp quantam2 esc in my blitz.cause the stock esc went up in smoke.people there basically was like thats why your so fast.but the truth was is that it was slower than all the slashes out there.even the other blitzes.they said i was faster cause the esc has better resistance or something.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:21 PM   #1540
Tech Master

it all comes down to driver..........ive seen a stock Slash, one that had some serious time on it not fresh out of the box walk all over brand new blitzs and sc10s with brushless set ups. the blitz by far is a better "race" truck but again you cant buy ability or skills.

the bottom line is what are the rules gonna be for the race?
Old 03-08-2010, 12:23 PM   #1541
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Hey Bryan I must say power wise I did not really notice a big difference. I know several times I came out onto the straight with another truck and they where just as fast if not a little faster. I do understand the debate about letting 17.5 run in this race. I do not feel that Chris should alter his rules that he has been running all year. That is why I will be putting a 13.5 in my truck and running mod with it. I got my truck used and it did not come with motor and esc. In my case I had the BL setup all ready and put it in. But hey like others have said and I will agree. We need to follow the rules of the track. That track has there rules in place cause that is what works for them. I know the other tracks I have gone to this winter I follow there rules and have fun that is what it is all about.
Bob Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:27 PM   #1542
Tech Addict

Hey John I am going to run Mod SCT since there will be a nice class there and I think you should do the same. These guys have a good turnout with their own rules just like we do at home and they should not have to change them. Mod SCT at Bumps should be a great class.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:32 PM   #1543
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by function>form View Post
im done with sct, raced it twice and its sold, i dont know if 17.5 is faster than stock but it seems to me to be more responsive and more torquey out of a corner, so if i were to race it every weekend i would buy a 17.5 set up, the blitz has that crap speedo that doesnt lock out reverse so numerous times i looped out from double pumping the brakes, so your talking 400+ for a "spec truck" so no thanks ill stick with mod classes, and by allowing 17.5 it it opens up a whole new issue with what speedo is and is not allowed and relying on people to be honest about there profiles, timing curves etc... etc... just my opinion and prolly not my concern since i sold it 10 min after the main.. but i will say it does do awesome wall rides!
you set the standard for wall rides lol
lalmog91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:58 PM   #1544
Tech Champion

i agree with the rules as well.
loos like i will have ot order another esc and motor.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:18 PM   #1545
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Here is my take on the 17.5 debate...

When asked at Motorama, I had no problem raising my hand for running both 17.5 and brushed together as one and to count as one. For The Elite Challenge, I feel the same way. I still have no problem running both together until someone or a few someone's stand out by running ridiculously fast. If tech is strict, I see no issues. But, I do have a few questions about the 17.5 deal...1. Why do you want to spend $200 on a brushless system when you barely spent $200 on your truck and at the end of the day, the brushed stock motors are still faster? 2. If you want to go brushless, why not go to a 13.5 and make that the mod class? Bumps has shown that 7.5 to 10.5 motors do not equate to faster lap times in SC! 3. What happens when guys start changing out rotors or finding ways to adjust timing and profiles on the esc's that can't be found during tech?

How far are you willing to go to win a sc race? Would you feel more like a piece of shizz knowing that you had to cheat to win?.or..Would you feel more like a piece of shizz knowing that you cheated and you still couldn't win?

Word has it that a certain "green slash" at Motorama was using some altered slash motors. While he did finish 2nd, I still won and did it the right way. There were plenty of 17.5's in the A, but I still won. I'm not trying to boast, just stating the facts. SC is a beginner class that is super fun to drive. While it is a great novice class, lots of pro's enjoy the class as well. I really like how the rules currently are at Bumps as it allows everyone a fair playing field and when you get better, you get to move up to Pro.

I think that allowing 17.5's will kill the "Spec" class for next season. If guys want to go a little faster or run brushless to eliminate the stock esc's, I know I do, then why not create a true Mod class and dub it as 13.5 or run what you brung? I would probably run my 5700 and soften the throttle curve tremendously and more than likely cut the power back to around 60%. For me, it's not all about the speed, but the handling. I'd like to have a mod class for a different electronics package, better tires, and other aftermarket goodies that target handling, not bling.

Again, just my opinion, take it for what you will...

Bryan
+1!

Why fff up a great set of rules?

Example.

Week 1: anywhere USA Race director: Please all sct drivers come 1 1/2 hour early so we can tech those 17.5's for profile and stator changes.

Week 10: As of now top three in all heats and main will have complete tech done due to all the finger pointing of cheating!
PADIRTLMJUNKIE is offline   Reply With Quote