Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Track Locator Forum
Any indoor onroad in Central Virginia??? >

Any indoor onroad in Central Virginia???

Any indoor onroad in Central Virginia???

Old 12-11-2003, 09:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Any indoor onroad in Central Virginia???

I want a place to race my TC this winter... i'm new to the area and don't really know what's around.
Old 01-01-2004, 04:24 AM
Tech Regular

Mimi's place in MD/DC or HT in Virginia Beach. I hope to visit Linville this summer, the place looks awesome.
Old 01-01-2004, 05:03 AM
Tech Addict

There's a VERY small indoor track at K & W Hobbies in Richmond's east end. Other than that, nothing around the Richmond area. Indoor racing isn't too popular around here.
Old 01-13-2004, 07:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

Yeah, K&W is off of Nine Mile Rd. (I 64). They run touring car and oval. You can only use a 27T stock motor for both classes. They run on Saturday Nights. There is a small group of guys that run there and they are a good group. Always willing to help.

Anyone know of anywere else that runs races?? Maybe we should organize some parking lot races this spring somewhere????

Jeff
Old 01-13-2004, 08:58 AM
Tech Adept

Default local racing

Well there is a really nice place to race indoors in Knoxville, TN. It would be a lillte bit of a drive but well worth it. The track is located across from the Knoxville airport. website: smokymtn.rctech.net. Got a ROAR race this weekend and usually get 40 to 50 racers a weekend.
Old 01-13-2004, 09:10 AM
Tech Apprentice

That sounds pretty cool. A bit too far for me to drive though. Maybe if I was a little closer............

We need to get a track out in the west end somewhere!!!
Old 01-20-2004, 06:21 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by jeffreyala
Yeah, K&W is off of Nine Mile Rd. (I 64). They run touring car and oval. You can only use a 27T stock motor for both classes. They run on Saturday Nights. There is a small group of guys that run there and they are a good group. Always willing to help.

Anyone know of anywere else that runs races?? Maybe we should organize some parking lot races this spring somewhere????

Jeff
I'm up for organizing something. If I could find a damn job in this state, i'd setup my own parking lot races this spring.
Old 01-20-2004, 06:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

What do you do for work???

Let's get some parking lot racing going!!!

Jeff
Old 01-21-2004, 06:02 AM
Tech Addict

There's plenty of parking lot racing during the summer on the southside. What kills us is there is no place to race worth a damn during the winter. The ONLY indoor track is K & W, and frankly that track is not worth the expense he charges for entry, listening to his shitty, obnoxous attitude, and paying his WAAAAAY overinflated prices.

Besides, I personally don't thnik the area could support 2 tracks. A parking lot track is still just a parking lot, and the VORRA club is pretty well established. Now if you had a permanent, well set up track with a good hobby shop on site, then you would be king!!!
Old 01-23-2004, 06:05 PM
Tech Elite

Well i'm all for starting up a club. Maybe, if people are serious enough, we can locate and rent a facility for indoor carpet. I plan on opening a track/pro shop in the Harisonburg, Charlottesville area but until i can get more funds that's just a dream for now.

I'll be racing this spring at Linville hobbies and may try to get the local shop here in staunton to promote parking lot races.
Old 01-24-2004, 03:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

tekrsq can you tell me where you can race southside and what classes you run ? I totally agree with you........If there was a well established shop with a nice on and off road track here in Short Pump area someone could make it happen.............

Email me or reply and let me know about the southside stuff if you can.

Thanks!

JEFF

[email protected]
Old 01-24-2004, 03:51 AM
Tech Addict

Jeff,

Our club (VORRA.. www.vorra.org ) races the 1st and 3rd Sunday of each month March thru Nov. Last year we had to race at the Ukrops lot on Ironbridge @ Chippenham Pkwy. This year we are working it out to HOPEFULLY get back up to the 360 West shopping center @ Turner Rd & Hull St. All class rules are on our site, but our normal line up is: nitro touring sportsman, nitro touring pro, nitro truck, monster truck, electric touring, & 1/8 on-road open. We have rules & provisions in place to run a few extra classes if the cars show up and we have the time.

We do require ROAR membership (insurance regulations for the county's occupancy/use permit). Club membership is encouraged, but not necessary. It just gives you a break on the weekly racing fee. I forget exactly what the dues are, but $50 will cover you for the year for both ROAR & VORRA membership. We use the AMB Rc timing system. Also, we will be hosting the ROAR Region 2 1/8 On-Road Regional race & the ROAR 200mm Nitro Va State Championship this year on June 5 & 6.

Hope to see you out there this year!!!!!!

Last edited by tekrsq; 01-24-2004 at 03:56 AM.
Old 01-24-2004, 03:59 AM
Tech Apprentice

The site is not working, so hopefully it is back up at some time. That is great news. I didn't think there was any racing around here. I am kind of new to the hobby and also thought the owners attitide was not the best at the indoor track. Not to mention the prices..........The few guys that raced there were very very helpful though.

Can you recommend a good class to start with? I have two RClab 7 even pro II TC's, Hyperdrive 0700 oval, and 10L3. I would be willing to sell it all though and go Nitro if that class is more popular.

What would you suggest? Can you recommend any car or truck to start with? Money really isn't an issue either.

THanks!

Jeff
Old 01-24-2004, 05:11 AM
Tech Addict

I'll have to check on the site, it was fine the other day. Thanks for letting me know.

I don't race electric, so I'm not sure how those cars would stack up against the cars running regularly. You could come watch, maybe race, then make a decision from there.

Nitro touring cars are definetly the most popular classes, but I'm not going to tell anyone to switch. Stick with what you like and are comfortable with, especially if you already have the tools needed for competitve electric racing. That decision is yours. I will say this though. The guys I know that run both electric indoor & outdoor, tel me the setups are totally different.

However, if you do decide to come over to the dark side, the list of cars is almost endless. But I do have a few personal favorites. If you are a fast learner, or know basic car setups, then either the Mugen MTX-3, Serpent 710, or Trinity G4 will be more than sufficient. The MTX-3 is the most run car at our track, so help would be no problem.

If you are "still learning" car setup, then the HPI R40 may be a better option for you. There are only 2 at our track, but the car seems VERY sturdy and a little forgiving with set ups. Plus, it is a competition level car, so when you start getting better, the car will still be able to "run with the big boys". Also, the shop on this side of town carries HPI & Trinity parts. They don't typically stock Mugen & Serpent parts.

There are also a few nitro TC3's and Yokomo GT4's running, but in my opinion, they aren't very durable. If you're a board whacker, you may want to stay clear of those cars.

Weather permitting, we'll be racing March 7 (not positive which site yet, though). I drive a burgandy Ford Ranger and my cars are flourescent green & yellow. Come over and see me, if you can make. I can't make the March 21 race, but there are plenty of guys to help out. Just introduce yourself.

Tommy C
Old 01-24-2004, 05:15 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the info Tommy! I will start looking around for a Nitro ride as that is what I would like to get in to. What is the local local hobby shop there?

Thanks,

Jeff

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.