Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Track Locator Forum
Courtney Marine Corps Base Off-Road Track Okinawa Japan >

Courtney Marine Corps Base Off-Road Track Okinawa Japan

Courtney Marine Corps Base Off-Road Track Okinawa Japan

Old 04-08-2009, 12:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Courtney Marine Corps Base Off-Road Track Okinawa Japan

This forum is for all service members and civilians stationed (or coming to)on Okinawa interested in building an off-road track on Camp Courtney.

Post anything track related and who you are and what you can do to help the community.

Paulie will sort it all out for us after we get about 300 pages!
Old 04-08-2009, 01:00 AM
Tech Regular

Good idea Jon, I feel the meeting went well and the track should be under way soon.

I already have a few track designs to bring next week, as well some ideas for a name.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:16 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yep, really good idea. I thought I was getting spammed the other day until I opened up my email and saw it was just a crazy rc email string.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:05 AM
Tech Regular

The forum thing sounds good. I'll shoot a mass mail to everyone so that no one is missed and has a chance to chime in.

So is someone going to shoot me the jist from the meeting on Tuesday?

See you in the dirt!
Anthony
Old 04-08-2009, 02:14 AM
Tech Regular

We could tell you what went on.........but it would be more fun to keep you in the dark, mainly because we volunteered you for everything.

Robert is going to put the notes together and send them out.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:54 AM
Tech Master

shoot? Jist? ewwww...

Basically we're waiting for camp services to find out who owns the land and we need the prepped paperwork you have just in case.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:52 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by YDBD

Basically we're waiting for camp services to find out who owns the land and we need the prepped paperwork you have just in case.
Yup, in the meantime, we worked on the basic layout of the space and came up with a going in plan that included 3 off-road offereings - a big track, a small track, and an area for rock crawling. Also in the space available was a drivers stand that could be utillized for either track, a pit area, and additional parking if it's warrented.

I'd love to put something on-road in there, but I think Tadashi at RC Siro has us covered for that. It's already established, and if we really want to do something on-road aside from that, we can always utilize Chibana.

Our focus right now is based on the fact that our 1 off-road track on Okinawa is closing, and Courtney's offering will fill that void.

For now, we need to come up with a name for the place, something that really captures what the space will be used for. I wanted to leave the term "off-road" out of it at first, but in thinking about it, and with Ken's input (he wanted it in the name), I think that's probably a good idea. You don't want someone to show up all excited about an "R/C park", and be disapointed that there's no where to run their touring car, airplane, helicopter, boat, etc.

I think at this point the name should try and create an identity, and have key terms in it like "car", "off-road", "park", "complex", etc.

We want to introduce some sense of family/community into it, and let folks know it's not just a "track". That's where the term R/C Park came into play.

Ya'll know Roger is a Marine, and I am in the Air Force. We both have a deep sense of military history and all our insignias have special meaning to them, down to the colors...

With that said, my official submssion for the naming the space is:

"The Hill", Camp Courtney's off-road R/C car park, Okinawa Japan.

or

"The Hill @ Courtney", Okinawa's premier off-road R/C car park, Okinawa Japan.

I like the term "Hill" for this space for a number of reasons...

1) it's deeply rooted in military history - go rush that hill, the enemy is just over that hill, etc

2) the track is on an actual hillside

3) a hillside suggests something outside in the wild, a perfect enviornment for off-road racing. When at a park with your kids, it's more likely to tell them to "Go play near the hill", than to say, "Go play in the street". No one will plan to run their boat on a "hillside"

3) the fact that the space is actually on a military installation just gives it even more definition.

Plus, it's much easier to swallow something like "The Hill", than it is to say to someone, Hey, you wanna go to "Camp Courtney's off-road R/C car park?", especially to the local Japanese nationals. You don't want it to be such a mouthful that no one will say it. My above example is the best of both worlds. Once someone knows what "The Hill" is, people will just refer to it as "The Hill".

Just my 2 cents...

Let me know what you think.

- Paulie

Last edited by pgeldz; 04-08-2009 at 04:12 AM.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:54 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Nothing useful to say other than thanks for starting the thread.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:59 AM
Tech Rookie

I can offer forum hosting for P.O.R.N, that way we wouldn't have to sift through the mass of threads to find ours. I'm also more than willing to help with the construction of the track.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:08 AM
Tech Master

I'm cool with "The Hill" CCRC (camp courtney RC) ccr is a well know acronym and we could just jam their music the whole time to drown out the noisy nitros.

How about "flame out hill"...EP rulez! When you getting that D8 conversion Paulie?

and the 1 off road track has been open longer than bios and won't close till I leave....Blues Bay RC Track...slash bash on Memorial Day....

Dante0-You can subscribe to threads and save that in your favorites and even get email updates. Plus there is tons of info on here and if anyone is looking for a track on Okinawa they would get this thread from google.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

First off, why is Bios closing? It's a bummer, I just find out about the place and before i get to use it, it closes! Do we have a guesstimation on when building can start on the Courtney track? I like the idea of naming the place "the hill". I think it's something simple that people will remember and be drawn to. I am totally down to work on whatever you guys need me to.

Josh

Last edited by Mr. Bojangles; 04-08-2009 at 04:36 AM. Reason: Stupid signature
Old 04-08-2009, 04:39 AM
Tech Master

No "official" story that has been translated on the Bios closure.

What I've heard:

The golf course and owner is afraid of drivers getting hit with a golf ball. Never heard if it has happened, but wouldn't a net solve that problem?

What I believe:

The noise is annoying to golfers and people were not sticking to Sunday only hours.

That's three for "the hill"
Old 04-08-2009, 05:31 AM
Tech Regular

+1 for "The Hill"
Old 04-08-2009, 06:14 AM
Tech Regular

This track is at "Hot Shots" in Dothan, AL.

[IMG][/IMG]

As a general rule.......you will find tracks setup like this. They will be twice as wide as they are deep(as viewed from the drivers stand) 50 - 60 deep and 100-120 wide are as big as you want to go. I have raced this track several times and can give details on how and why they set it up this way.

This is a basic track but the layout and position of the drivers stand/ISO is very close to what we talked about. If anyone wants to see a picture of "What are we trying to build" this might work.

Last edited by bando711; 04-09-2009 at 02:34 AM.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:54 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bando711
This track is at "Hot Shots" in Dothan, AL.

As a general rule.......you will find tracks setup like this. They will be twice as wide as they are deep(as viewed from the drivers stand) 50 - 60 deep and 100-120 wide are as big as you want to go. I have raced this track several times and can give details on how and why they set it up this way.

This is a basic track but the layout and position of the drivers stand/ISO is very close to what we talked about. If anyone wants to see a picture of "What are we trying to build" this might work.
I couldn't see the pic but I went to their website (hotshotsfun.com/pages/DayRCTrack.html) and found it. I like the way it looks, the only problem is 6 lanes deep and has no safe Marshall spots. I remember Jon saying something about no more than 3 lanes deep.
Jason

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.